Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Avoiding FMS

cphollis

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One change in perspective that has reduced my musician's frustration:

I started to pay less attention to proximate goal-setting (get into this circle of musos, get these kinds of gigs, get this piece of gear, get this hardware thing upgraded) and focused on my long-term destination (who I wanted to be as a musician). Most of the details tended to sort themselves out. The destination set the goals for me, including the larger ones like who I wanted to play with, what level of inconvenience I was willing to live with, etc.

just my 0.02

I started to pay less attention to proximate goal-setting (get into this circle of musos, get these kinds of gigs, get this piece of gear, get this hardware thing upgraded) and focused on my long-term destination (who I wanted to be as a musician). Most of the details tended to sort themselves out. The destination set the goals for me, including the larger ones like who I wanted to play with, what level of inconvenience I was willing to live with, etc.

just my 0.02

Good advice, as always. If you know what the North Star is for you, the rest becomes simple transactional mechanics.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

just my 0.02

Something tells me that if I know you, there is one more thing that helps immensely (but I won't mention it here to prevent being banned from the forum). I feel the same way. It takes a load off and minimizes short term goal setting.

Excellent advice.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Great post, Chuck, and great thread so far. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Funny. I thought this post would get way more interaction, but .. ???

I'm in the very fortunate position of having nothing to add. I get to make music with a bunch of great people. No real egos to speak of, and we all have the same essential goals: to play jazz, improve ourselves and have fun!

My regular guitarist is a good friend who I've known for years. He's really talented, but has no conceit at all. We play well off each other, respect each other's space, and value silence. There is only one other regular guitar player, and he's an old school guy who is a a pretty decent fellow as well.

Between two big bands, a fusion band, and some jazz standards pickup things, it's essentially the same core group of people in different iterations. Some are more talented than others, but everyone is real cool. Most of them bring great talent to the mix. Many are current or retired music teachers or pros, and have some respected pedigree. One of our bari players just came off tour with Alicia Keys.

There is a vocalist who sits in with one of the big bands, but he understands his limited musical ability, takes direction pretty well, and brings all his own charts. While he's not as musically adept as the instrumentalists, he does this for the same reason - to improve himself and have fun. And no ego at all.

So, I'm really sorry Chuck, but I don't have anything to gripe about here. I'm at times more frustrated with myself than other musicians (but I'm getting over it). I feel privileged they keep calling me.

That said, here's a joke:

A jazz musician wins the $1M Dollar Lotto. He's interviewed by the local TV station, and they ask "what are you going to do now that you won a million dollars?"

The musician replies: "I don't know. I guess I'll keep playing until the money runs out."

:rimshot:

I've enjoyed the article and the thread. I took Tim's commentary to heart and laid out some long range views on what I think making music is all about. Nothing about playing certain songs or technical ability, but what I want to say, and how it should feel. It was clarifying. At the end of the day, none of us are more frustrated than we permit. We are all able to make changes to move closer to where we want to be, and once in motion, frustration tends to fade away when we are doing the honest work to improve.

I've just decided that life is too short to be frustrated. I used to be really uptight, like thinking that everybody needed to work as hard as me, and that I could actually make money from music.

Now I'm old and jaded and can afford to eat. People play how they play, if I don't like it, I'll move on. I make a point to always be positive and kind, at least with my outside voice, so that people will want to work with me.

So, yeah, Chuck, the article resonates. :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Not sure what was going on with the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) at last night's Ben Folds Declassified program. The orchestra members did not look happy to say the least. Maybe they just received bad news but we were speculating they may resent being "forced" to learn and perform music by someone that has not come up through the ranks; also that the music is "out of scope" with their taste and career aspirations (i.e. I didn't sign up for this sh*t).

Of course they're all professionals and it sounded wonderful but I really wonder what effect these pop artist have on the more traditional musicians in this type situation.

Btw nice article Chuck :thu:

"The orchestra members did not look happy to say the least."

Looking like you're having fun is something that takes conscious effort for most people, and for whatever reason I never got the impression orchestra players considered that part of the job description. But, sounded like it was more than just that?

That's pretty unprofessional.

I have been ABSOLUTELY LIVID at gigs, and nobody but me (and the band leader, after) would have known.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

how hot it is in my studio since my AC broke. :cry:

I can sympathize. The central air here in my apartment broke last week. The servicemen stopped by and informed me the unit was over 50 years old... they can nurse it along but it will eventually need to be replaced. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

how hot it is in my studio since my AC broke. :cry:

I can sympathize. The central air here in my apartment broke last week. The servicemen stopped by and informed me the unit was over 50 years old... they can nurse it along but it will eventually need to be replaced. :(

Broken AC is the known number 1 cause of FMS!

(you owe me Synthoid)

:roll:

Archived