Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord E5 question

Hi all, I had posted a question earlier regarding splits and the ability, or lack thereof, to have have a rotary effect and an amp sim at the same time. I quickly found out on the nord forum that it's not possible. So my revised question is; how do people feel about the amped Rhodes and the Amped Wurly samples in the Nord library and do they have enough of an "amp sim" feel that I could use those along with the b3 and rotary?
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you want to split the keyboard to have B3+rotary on one side and Rhodes/Wurly+amp sim on the other? Or do you want to layer B3+rotary with Rhodes/Wurly+amp sim?

Your question is specific and technical, and I'm not sure I quite understand what you're looking for, but my thought is that you may have to actually try out what you want on an E5 to know if the sound is to your liking. I don't know what "enough of an amp sim feel" is for you so I'm afraid I can't be helpful.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Can't speak for the E5, only have an E4.

AFAIK, the EPs sound identical between the two.

Hi all, I had posted a question earlier regarding splits and the ability, or lack thereof, to have have a rotary effect and an amp sim at the same time. I quickly found out on the nord forum that it's not possible.

If you use the "dual mono" mode, you could at least send the organ out to its own (possibly better!) rotary effect (like a Neo Ventilator, of if you don't want to spend that much, maybe something like the Electro-Harmonix Lester K), which would leave the internal amp effects free to use on the EPs routed to the other output.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Cool. For most gigs I'm going to be using my macbook with gigperformer along with the SL88. But for certain outdoor gigs I figure i'll just use the E5 for sounds. But this split limitation with effects is a bit of a bummer. SOme of the comments here have given me a bit of hope in terms of using the amped samples as a work around. I did think of the Vent solution also.

The "amped" samples are very nice.

Fuller and grittier than the other samples, but clean enough to be usable in any context.

In other words, if you look for heavy distortion, you'll need additional effects.

But for a full, well-rounded EP sound, they are more than enough.

These samples ended the long-standing complains about the "thinness" of Nord's EP sounds.

The "amped" samples are very nice.

Fuller and grittier than the other samples, but clean enough to be usable in any context.

In other words, if you look for heavy distortion, you'll need additional effects.

But for a full, well-rounded EP sound, they are more than enough.

These samples ended the long-standing complains about the "thinness" of Nord's EP sounds.

I may have to revisit these sounds. When I tried them in my NE3 a couple of years ago (?) I wasn't overly impressed, actually preferring the un-amped versions.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Well they are "amped" after all, so it's true sometimes it's better to use a clean sample and tweak it to taste with EQ and effects.

But as a quick-use sound, if you don't want or can't tinker with the sample, I think they are pretty good.

My favourite Rhodes sound lately is the amped sample (full and meaty across the whole range) layered with a bit of EP5 (Bright Tines) to provide adjustable "bells" to taste.

I got the E5 yesterday and used it for a rehearsal. I have to say that I was really happy with the amped rhodes and the amped wurly.I've used them both in my stage classic but probably not often as I'm always swapping out sounds since the memory is so limited. Anyway, I feel like pretty good about using those samples in a split with the B3 and not using any amp sim.

My favourite Rhodes sound lately is the amped sample (full and meaty across the whole range) layered with a bit of EP5 (Bright Tines) to provide adjustable "bells" to taste.

Same here. A bit of sparkle to go with your meat.

Interestingly, I lose some meat when playing through high-end amplification vs. my SSv3. Ahhh, tradeoffs.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Well they are "amped" after all, so it's true sometimes it's better to use a clean sample and tweak it to taste with EQ and effects.

But as a quick-use sound, if you don't want or can't tinker with the sample, I think they are pretty good.

Can't do that on the E5 though, only 1 piano/ep sound at a time. That'd work great on a Stage though.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Can't do that on the E5 though, only 1 piano/ep sound at a time. That'd work great on a Stage though.

There's a useful DX7 tines sound in the sample section. I use it all the time on my Piano 2.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My favorite EP sound from Nord is the "EP8 Nefertiti MKI" (I use it at my go-to EP sound on my Electro 3). I am not sure how it rates as having a more or less "amped" sound than the "EP7 Tines Amped".

For Wurli, I find the "Wurlizter 2 Amped" to be much better than the "Wurlitzer".

Nefertiti isn't an amped sound. It is my go to as well, I really like the tone of it. I like the Sparkle Top a lot too.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

For a long time i didn't like the EP7 Tines Amped" very much. But now, with a little EQ-tweaking, it's my go to Rhodes. It sounds authentic and not "small". My EQ-settings: Bass +5, ; Mids +10 (at 5,1kHz), Highs +10, then a little bit of tremolo and perhaps tube overdrive. Sounds great!

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Archived