Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

60 Pianos Placed on NYC Streets and Parks.

The Sing for Hope volunteer arts organization has placed 60 artist painted Pianos in various parks and streets around New York City available for anyone to play. The Pianos are in the city until June 25th so here is an opportunity for anybody who has always wanted to play in NYC.

http://www.crossroadstoday.com/story/35342447/sing-for-hope-pianos-are-back-on-the-streets-of-nyc-this-summer-june-5-25

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The lovely town in which I live (Valparaiso, Indiana) does this as well, with the pianos scattered about the town square. Fun to walk among the local establishments in the summer, have a few margaritas, and play out in the open air!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

How do they stay in tune?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

How do they stay in tune?

I can't speak for this particular installation, but usually cities have artist Luke Jerram's "Play Me, I'm Yours" street pianos in various cities all over the world. We had it here in Los Angeles in 2012, and the sponsoring organization (the L.A. Chamber Orchestra in our city) hired a couple of piano techs to keep the pianos in tune and to fix any issues during the term of the installation (which was also 3 weeks long). Although the one they put on the Santa Monica Pier was in HORRIBLE condition (what with the sea air and constant humidity). But most of the pianos were in a well-tuned, playable condition (I got to play all 31 of them).

They have done the same here in Lancaster, PA for many years. However once the pianos are out on the street they aren't maintained so their condition degrades fairly quickly. They put out a fresh batch every late spring & carry them off to the elephant's/piano's burial ground every fall.

Something like this was done in New Orleans at one point...

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A different organization (Keys4/4Kids - Pianos On Parade) did the same thing here in Minnesota, across all of Minneapolis and St. Paul last year, and they bay be doing it again this year.

Last year: http://www.startribune.com/street-pianos-impossible-to-resist/124074349/

http://www.startribune.com/making-music/382376751/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

They play some of Josh Paxton's cuts on WWOZ radio out of New Orleans (I have to use the online version up here). A very talented pianist!!

That was a funny day. It wasn't any kind of official thing; it was just some guy with a piano out on the sidewalk. He was playing "Big Chief" as I walked by, and I could tell he had learned it from the sheet music. So afterward I dropped some money in his jar and said "You learned that from the sheet music didn't you?" He said "Yeah, how did you know?" I said "Because I'm the guy who transcribed it." And his eyes got big and he said "You're Josh Paxton??" It's an odd thing to be known for, but hey, I'll take it. So he asked me to sit down and play some more Fess, and the result is that video. I hate the fact that my most-viewed thing happened when I was 50 pounds heavier, but the playing wasn't bad.

That was a funny day. It wasn't any kind of official thing; it was just some guy with a piano out on the sidewalk. He was playing "Big Chief" as I walked by, and I could tell he had learned it from the sheet music. So afterward I dropped some money in his jar and said "You learned that from the sheet music didn't you?" He said "Yeah, how did you know?" I said "Because I'm the guy who transcribed it." And his eyes got big and he said "You're Josh Paxton??" It's an odd thing to be known for, but hey, I'll take it. So he asked me to sit down and play some more Fess, and the result is that video.
Cool story to go with a fun video and performance! I could tell by his description on YT that he was excited to have met you like that. :2thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That is awesome! I just love this, this morning, for some reason.

Bad renditions of whatever for as far as the ears can hear - love it! Spread the gospel of keys.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Meh. He's not bad. :poke:;)

I feel that him playing so well as a Josh, takes some pressure off me to have to have any skills. Like, we average out to two decent piano playing Joshes; I can't help it that he's doing all the heavy lifting.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

That was a funny day. It wasn't any kind of official thing; it was just some guy with a piano out on the sidewalk. He was playing "Big Chief" as I walked by, and I could tell he had learned it from the sheet music. So afterward I dropped some money in his jar and said "You learned that from the sheet music didn't you?" He said "Yeah, how did you know?" I said "Because I'm the guy who transcribed it." And his eyes got big and he said "You're Josh Paxton??" It's an odd thing to be known for, but hey, I'll take it. So he asked me to sit down and play some more Fess, and the result is that video. I hate the fact that my most-viewed thing happened when I was 50 pounds heavier, but the playing wasn't bad.

Great story to accompany some tasty playing! ;)

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Meh. He's not bad. :poke:;)

I feel that him playing so well as a Josh, takes some pressure off me to have to have any skills. Like, we average out to two decent piano playing Joshes; I can't help it that he's doing all the heavy lifting.

:roll:

Imagine you're trying to play Tipitina and one of the best in the world at it sits down and shows you how it's really done. I guess in New Orleans the odds of that aren't actually all that unlikely.

Don't know about that shirt though. . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Guitars are cheap and easy. Same for a bunch of other instruments.

Using a modicum of public funds to make pianos available speaks to me. Yeah, shocking. Ain't no instrument like an acoustic piano. It brings out emotions in people that other instruments don't. If you've never played Piano Man or American Pie in front of a bunch of drunk people, you don't know what your missing.

I do a bit of business travel. I tend to select hotels that have a piano in the bar. It's been generally fun, especially in Europe and Asia. This random white dude shows up, and brings a bit of game :(

I could sit down at one of these babies, figure it out, and bring some decent entertainment.

Maybe it's worth a road trip?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I could sit down at one of these babies, figure it out, and bring some decent entertainment.

One afternoon I had a gig in a club and I was playing on a broken acoustic grand piano. It was horrible. I couldn't play a note that sounded good in my opinion.

That night, Jack DeJohnette played the same club with the Gateway Trio (w/ John Abercrombie and Dave Holland).

Jack played that same piano on a couple of tunes and made it sing!

I've never been the same (musically), and it has influenced me greatly.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

When I'm on the road and jonesing for a real piano, and there's one in the hotel, my standard M.O. is to sit down and start playing until either A) I get kicked off, or B) I get offered a gig. So far I'm about 50/50.
:2thu:

Archived