Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone playing in a country band?

drohm

I'm invited to play in a newly forming country band with some really great musicians. I have played with an alt-country/americana band and other rock bands, but never a traditional country band. However, I have always wanted to. I'm always trying to sneak Floyd Cramer lines into my rock solos ;)

This group is influenced by the sounds of Patsy Cline, Merle, Bonnie Raitt, Gillian Welch, Kasey Musgraves, Chris Stapleton, etc. However, it will likely evolve a bit due to the musicians involved. Maybe adding some influence from early country-rock bands like Pure Prairie League, Poco, Firefall, and others.

Anyone currently playing keys in a country band? Would love to hear your experiences. Any suggestions on prep, listening, etc.?

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in one. Not really a traditional country band, more like 70s/80s/90s country-rock. We throw in some old Cash, Haggard, Nelson, and the like... but most of our setlist is originals mixed in with stuff like Vince Gill, Clint Black, Sugarland, etc.

It's a lot of fun. My background is mainly rock and jazz, but this was a refreshing change and I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the Floyd Cramer licks will come in handy, I use them myself. In general, that light-touch style of playing is the key, maybe with some B3 thrown in on some choruses. Listening to some Billy Powell (Skynyrd) will also be helpful, as that 'Southern' style of playing also suits the country stuff well.

Wishing you well, and good luck...

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I joke that I don't listen to country music, just play in a country band!

It's been a lot of fun (six years now) and about one gig a month. We're all over the map musically and there are a lot of nice keyboard parts.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I played in one for eight years or so - a mix of old country stadards (Hank, Merle, Willie)and more contemporary (Garth, Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney). I'm primarily a jazz saxophonist, but I had a lot of fun in the country band.

Floyd Cramer and Billy Powell for sure - lots of inspiration there. Look up Matt Rollings sometime - best known for his work with Lyle Lovett. Stellar and very versatile player.

Have fun!

I played in one a few years ago in a practice type situation (party once a year). It was the pop tunes you hear on the radio before country turned to rap.

I don't listen to country so I don't care for it, but did it to be in the band. What I didn't like was when they would ask me to play parts that were not keyboard. You may be asked to play all these instruments... slide guitar, fiddle, banjo, harmonica, violin, along with the Hammond and Piano that are on every song. None of it will sound like the record, so I'd have the band listen to live recordings instead of the studio MP3s. There's too many parts going on to cover them all.

If you can sing, that will make you stand out. Otherwise these groups are usually a hot chick singer out front while everyone else is her support.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

Thanks for the feedback. There is a pedal steel/dobro player and a guitar/banjo/fiddle player in the group so I'm not worried about having to play those parts/sounds on keys. It is support for a great female vocalist however. I forgot about Matt Rollings. I love his work with Lyle Lovett. I will get that stuff on the playlist.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I have been in a Texas country band for about 7 years now. Having a blast!!! Gigging 6 to 8 times a month. Not a huge country music lover but the crowds reallly get into it which makes it fun to play.

Good luck and hope it works out for you!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I played in a country band for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a repertoire that was very piano-centric and allowed a lot of space to have fun with licks, accompaniment, and solos.

My only recommendation is to learn all of the country piano licks, ham it up, and have a good time. Also learn a few banjo picking solo patterns and have those ready to throw in at opportune solos with the banjo patch once or twice a night :).

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I played in a band that played "The Dance" by Garth Brooks close to 30 years ago-what a wonderful piano intro/exit and jam at the end. There are some nice songs and country bands often cover the most fun oldies. If the right fun band like this were to call me, I'd at least give it a try.

Before Memorial Day black cowboy hats, After Memorial Day white cowboy hat.

Played keys in Country bands for years. Currently not playing keys in my country band. I'm just tired of lumping all the gear although my MSA double neck D10 isn't much better.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/IMG_0889_zpsnarjkdbq.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Have played in a few country and americana bands since the early 1990's; probably my favorite type of group to steadily play out with. Haven't gigged with this type of act since returning to the midwest in 2014; absolutely itching to.. The country bands in my area are either covered for keys, don't use them, or run the show with keys backing tracked - which is the case with a group I helped build about twelve years ago..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

As a rule, I try not to cover a lot of non-keyboard stuff, but will add a bit of banjo. I found you can cover some steel guitar with a Hammond sound. (They fill the same space tone-wise.) Let me see if I can describe it.

On "Neon Moon", I walk eighth notes down an A6sus --> A6 chord filling in behind the soloing fiddle. Hold the individual notes as you add the others. A basic 888000000 without percussion or vibrato. Leslie on. Ride up the volume gently. Kinda like this:

A

AF

AFE

AFED

AFEC#

Does that make any sense?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Played keys in Country bands for years. Currently not playing keys in my country band. I'm just tired of lumping all the gear although my MSA double neck D10 isn't much better.

I wear western boots and have a couple of cool-looking snap front embroidered shirts, but tell the boys I draw the like at a hat. :laugh:

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I wear western boots and have a couple of cool-looking snap front embroidered shirts, but tell the boys I draw the like at a hat. :laugh:

For me cool looking pearl snap shirts (usually dark or some form of black), jeans, a ball cap backwards and black canvas vans! My signature look for the past 7 years!!!!!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

As a rule, I try not to cover a lot of non-keyboard stuff, but will add a bit of banjo. I found you can cover some steel guitar with a Hammond sound. (They fill the same space tone-wise.) Let me see if I can describe it.

On "Neon Moon", I walk eighth notes down an A6sus --> A6 chord filling in behind the soloing fiddle. Hold the individual notes as you add the others. A basic 888000000 without percussion or vibrato. Leslie on. Ride up the volume gently. Kinda like this:

A

AF

AFE

AFED

AFEC#

Does that make any sense?

Correction: F#!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I played keys and left hand bass in a modern country band but also ended up being the the utility guy after we hired a bass player. I played banjo, acoustic guitar some mandolin and harmonica(poorly but the parts were pretty easy). Instead of hammond for pedal steel sounds I used a clean Rhodes sound with pitch bend. I didn't care for most of the music but it was very popular.

I played in a couple country bands in the 90's. I can fake my way through most songs with a country flair. However, as much as I try to be Pig Robbins I always end up sounding like Elton John in a country band.

Instead of hammond for pedal steel sounds I used a clean Rhodes sound with pitch bend.

Interesting.

With the new Electro (no pitch bend), I've been planning to use only a single board, but if I bring the Kurz PC3LE, I might try this.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I played in a couple country bands in the 90's. I can fake my way through most songs with a country flair. However, as much as I try to be Pig Robbins I always end up sounding like Elton John in a country band.

Haha! Loved this response. I'm shooting for the sound of Herbie Robbins ;)

Currently play in a 6 piece folk rock band, its the closest I've come yet, a lot of my piano parts are very country influenced. We've got a guitarist who plays a lot of electric slide and a mandolin player as well, thats definitely pushing the territory. I'd love to play with a band like you described though, thats exactly up my alley. Honestly, I think I'd enjoy playing in a country band the most out of any genre, but I haven't really been on the lookout around here, my current group is pretty busy and its still scratching the itch enough. I've only heard of a few true country bands locally, but I'm probably in the wrong circles.

Coming from a prog rock band as my last group, I love playing with a band that allows for more subtle playing to come through. I was rarely able to use those minimal gospely drawbar settings and work the volume pedal as much as I'd like with that band, and I'm having a ton of fun with it lately. Being able to lay back on ballady piano parts is great too, one of our songs in particular is working out to be a bit of a stunner IMO. I'm probably 50% piano, 25% organ, and the other 25% split between accordion and a wurlitzer patch. for really small shows with essentially no stage spage I do accordion, melodica and banjo, which is a ton of fun.

Currently play in a 6 piece folk rock band, its the closest I've come yet, a lot of my piano parts are very country influenced. We've got a guitarist who plays a lot of electric slide and a mandolin player as well, thats definitely pushing the territory. I'd love to play with a band like you described though, thats exactly up my alley. Honestly, I think I'd enjoy playing in a country band the most out of any genre, but I haven't really been on the lookout around here, my current group is pretty busy and its still scratching the itch enough. I've only heard of a few true country bands locally, but I'm probably in the wrong circles.

Scottasin - Looks like you are just north of me in Colorado. What is the name of your folk rock band? Let me know if you get down to the South Denver area.

Archived