Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acus One-5 Wood Amp for keyboard?

Dextroze

Dexter, I just checked out your video. Wow, great playing!

I have a pair of TT08As. They reproduce digital acoustic piano beautifully. A few years ago I had a pair of K8s which sounded very good at low and moderate volumes. I prefer the TT08As over the K8s because, to my ears, the TT08As have a clearer, warmer, less electronic sound, and still sound great if I push them on a rock or blues gig. I don't have experience with the ZXA1s, so I can't comment on how they compare. I also have an SS V3 which is great for it's omni present effect but (IMO) doesn't have the necessary fidelity for digital acoustic piano in a acoustic jazz type setting. Lately I've been using an SS and TT08A together to get the omni present effect and high fidelity. Unfortunately, this seems like too much to move without a car.

Although I always prefer stereo I've been in situations where I was required by the soundman to connect my CP4 in mono and it sounded surprisingly good. This makes me wonder if you might be happy with a single high-fidelity, lightweight power speaker (i.e., like the TT08A) with a lightweight digital piano that excels in mono. The Casio PX5S is lightweight and seems to have many fans on this forum. I haven't played one so I can't weigh in on this except to say that I haven't heard an online demo where the sound appealed to me.

Thank you, I'm really happy that you like my video :)

Your idea seems very good, the only thing is that the TT08A is really expensive, even if I buy just one of them. But maybe the sound would be better with one TT08A than two ZXA1 ?

I hope the PX-5s is good, I might try it soon and buy it from a guy an a french website.

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your idea seems very good, the only thing is that the TT08A is really expensive, even if I buy just one of them. But maybe the sound would be better with one TT08A than two ZXA1 ?

Dexter, like Al , I have a pair of the TT08As and have used them for 7 years. I've praised them here often over the years and rather then add anything else, I'd just go on Al's description of how they work for digital piano and for jazz ( or any style of music).

That's a good question on using one TT08A in mono vs the stereo pair of ZXA-1s. I'd probably have to try each combination next to each other to say for sure.

Pricing wise, a pair of the ZXA1s will be around 35-40% less then one RCF TT08A. And again, you would need a small line mixer or pre amp source to use the TT08A. Where you can plug directly into the EVs.

The RCFs will faithfully reproduce whatever you put into them , very close to like a studio monitor. I think at that point you are at the mercy of how good the mono sample is on your keyboard.

I did have one experience , during my short time with the SS amp , of choosing to play the night in mono with one RCF TT08A over the SS. The hi-fi sound, even in mono, was preferable to what I was hearing with my CP4, over what I was experiencing with the SS amp.

I can't speak of the quality of the Casio's mono piano since I have no experience with them other then playing them (stereo) through headphones or inferior quality studio monitors at the Guitar Center. Again like I said earlier my preference is for Yamaha pianos over them.

Fwiw, Nord has a good mono piano sound - Italian Grand, Bright Grand, etc. - but not as full bodied sounding as the CP4.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Dexter, like Al , I have a pair of the TT08As and have used them for 7 years. I've praised them here often over the years and rather then add anything else, I'd just go on Al's description of how they work for digital piano and for jazz ( or any style of music).

That's a good question on using one TT08A in mono vs the stereo pair of ZXA-1s. I'd probably have to try each combination next to each other to say for sure.

Pricing wise, a pair of the ZXA1s will still be around 35-40% less then one RCF TT08A. And again, you would need a small line mixer or pre amp source to use the TT08A. Where you can plug directly into teh EVs.

The RCFs will faithfully reproduce whatever you put into them , very close to like a studio monitor. I think at that point you are at the mercy of how good the mono sample is on your keyboard.

I did have the experience , during my short time with the SS amp , of choosing to play the night in mono with one RCF TT08A over the SS. The hi-fi sound, even in mono, was preferable to what I was hearing (with my CP4) over what I was experiencing with the SS amp.

I can't speak of the quality of the Casio's mono piano since I have no experience with them other then playing them (stereo) through headphones or bad quality studio monitors at the Guitar Center. Again like I said earlier my preference is for Yamaha pianos over them.

Fwiw, Nord has a good mono piano sound - Italian Grand, Bright Grand, etc. - but not as full bodied sounding as the CP4.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I use Keyscape so there is a lot of tweaking and I hope I can find a good mono sound.

I'm attracted to the idea of having the best... So I can still take only one TT08A and when I have the money, take a second one... And have my drive liscence !!!

New video :

Just thought I'd add that I plug my CP4 directly into the TT08As. A 1/4" to XLR cable is needed to make the connection because the TT08A's have XLR inputs.
I'll have to try that, I've only gone from the CP4/5 xlr outs and it's been too hot a signal.

So I had about 45 minutes today to experiment with this. This is probably 101 to many but again, I've only experimented with the XLR outs on the Yamaha keyboards.

Going CP4 line in direct to the TT08As, it sounded good - much better in stereo then mono. What's new. ;)

At first I thought I preferred it to my JMK- Audio JM-110 as the attack on the CFX seemed smoother and not as harsh..

But once my ears got in a more warmed up state at around the 10 minute mark and I went back and forth again between direct and the JM-110 - definitely using the di/pre was preferable.

More substance and girth to the tone, a less hollow sound , more in your face and robust, hi-fi character. High notes had more tonal shape to them and were more crisp and distinct.

I then put my D on half stick and made sure the overall volume of the CP4 and TT08As was generally in the same ballpark as the Steinway. Often too loud or soft can skew sonic impressions...at least mine.

The line in would certainly work on a gig where I wanted to get in and out of faster, or space was at a premium. Not that the JM-110 takes up much room but obviously more cabling is always involved, which adds extra hassle.

Dexter, that Roland keyboard you mentioned is a synth with non-weighted action. Being a serious player, I can't fathom you at all being happy with that. I have no experience with the other board.

Personally, being at the level you are at, I can't see you on anything less then a CP4.

I prefer the Casio PX 360 for jazz gigs over that the P5. The built-in stereo monitors of the 360 are quite loud and make the keyboard feel like a real instrument rather than a slab of plastic . The PX five does not have any on boards stereo monitor speakers. I don't like having the piano sound just come from a speaker over there. I like the sound to come straight up to my ears from the keys themselves, that's what on board monitors provide you and they're great for home use in practice. Jazz gigs are often very soft so you can get by with your stereo monitors and one little mono keyboard amp on the floor for reinforcement it's easily as loud as a grand piano. So you can hear yourself better you can hear yourself better on jazz gigs.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Casio PX 360 weighs 26 pounds. I am a fan of the Yamaha CP four, but I wouldn't think of caring it to gigs because it's too heavy. I love the action on the Casio, touch response is superb. I use the classical piano or the mono piano when playing live, not the grand piano 1. The P3 60 speakers are such a luxury to have, sometimes I'll just plug into the guitar players anthem for the PA and not even bring one of my EV powered speakers

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

But once my ears got in a more warmed up state at around the 10 minute mark and I went back and forth again between direct and the JM-110 - definitely using the di/pre was preferable.

More substance and girth to the tone, a less hollow sound , more in your face and robust, hi-fi character. High notes had more tonal shape to them and were more crisp and distinct.

Thanks Dave. I'll need to try a preamp!

Casio PX 360 weighs 26 pounds. I am a fan of the Yamaha CP four, but I wouldn't think of caring it to gigs because it's too heavy. I love the action on the Casio, touch response is superb. I use the classical piano or the mono piano when playing live, not the grand piano 1. The P3 60 speakers are such a luxury to have, sometimes I'll just plug into the guitar players anthem for the PA and not even bring one of my EV powered speakers

Oups I just bought the PX-5s !!!! Lol :'(

I bought it 600 $ almost new (was bought in march 2016)... Hope it's a good deal :)

It's true the keybed is quite good, not as good as the RD-800 but not so far, the touch will never be as good as a grand piano IMHO, and the weight of the 5s is really impressive for this quality of touch.

Now I have to sell my RD-800 ( :cry:) and buy 2 EV's :)

Hope I'll be ok transport this stuff !!

New video :

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys !

Well I have everything now, the two EV's and the PX-5S !!

The only problem is that I'm so newb that I don't know how to connect the keys to the EV's !!!

Wich cable do I need, where to plug it etc ? :(

https://thumbs4.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/243184/7283343_800.jpg

(picture of the back of the EV)

https://thumbs4.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/308486/11804715_800.jpg

(picture of the back of the PX-5s)

Further more, since I'll also use the mac and Keyscape, how to pair the EV and the mac (with sound card).

Thanks... a lot !

New video :

No. The PX5S has normal unbalanced audio outputs (TS, not TRS)...so you can simply use two normal TS instrument cables - one from each audio output of the PX5S audio outputs to the Line IN combo input on the ZXA1s.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Two things like that you mean ? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41Wfi8ARqBL.jpg

And to connect the EV's to my soundcard what should I do ?

Thank you for your answer !!

Those will work since they are fundamentally connecting the TS 1/4" phone plug to an XLR plug (note that does NOT make it a balanced connection but that's OK.) But it isn't strictly necessary to use these since the Combo input will take a normal 1/4" phone plug. So normal phone plug instrument cables (i.e. "guitar cables") would work.

For the MAC, I can't really say for a couple reasons:

- I don't know anything about your soundcard and the output plugs.

- On the input side of the ZXA1, you could potentially connect it to the MIC inputs since there is a separate level control for the MIC input. But since it is a MIC input there may be input gain level problems..you would have to try it. If the levels aren't acceptable, then you need a small mixer to manage all the connections. Fortunately, we live in a time where there are lots of acceptable, inexpensive mixers that will fit this purpose. Many people use something like a yamaha mg06 mixer for this (there are cheaper and more expensive options)

Perhaps someone with experience on the ZXA1 MIC input could chime in so you can make a decision on mixer/no mixer first...and then get the appropriate cables (since the mixer would change the cable requirements)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Try it without the mixer. If you are satisfied then you are set. If is not loud enough get a cheap mini mixer for added gain.

Here's what I would try first since it is the least expensive option:

You have two inputs on the ZXA1 - Mic, which takes only an XLR male plug (the picture of the 1/4" - XLR cable you posted has a female XLR and will not work!), and Line, which takes either an XLR Male or a regular "guitar cable." Whichever of your two sources your keyboard or your sound card has less output, I would put in the Mic input (this input gives you much more gain enough to overload and distort the sound if you're not careful). Start with the Mic level control all the way to the left (∞) and the master about halfway up, and see if you can balance the levels between your two sources. There is no separate level control for the line input so the only way to control the volume of that is at the source. It's better for the instrument and sound card levels to not be at maximum you want some "headroom" in order to increase your volume for solos or if the music gets loud.

Once you have a nice balance of volume between your two sources, then you have to use the master volume on the ZXA1 to get to the proper level for playing a gig! If whatever you send to the line input is not loud enough, even will all volumes set to their maximum, you will need a small mixer to boost the levels. Good luck!

[edit - I'm not sure what this looks like to others, but that "∞" that I see above is supposed to be the "infinity" symbol! It looked OK on preview!]

Here's what I would try first since it is the least expensive option:

You have two inputs on the ZXA1 - Mic, which takes only an XLR male plug (the picture of the 1/4" - XLR cable you posted has a female XLR and will not work!), and Line, which takes either an XLR Male or a regular "guitar cable." Whichever of your two sources your keyboard or your sound card has less output, I would put in the Mic input (this input gives you much more gain enough to overload and distort the sound if you're not careful). Start with the Mic level control all the way to the left (∞) and the master about halfway up, and see if you can balance the levels between your two sources. There is no separate level control for the line input so the only way to control the volume of that is at the source. It's better for the instrument and sound card levels to not be at maximum you want some "headroom" in order to increase your volume for solos or if the music gets loud.

Once you have a nice balance of volume between your two sources, then you have to use the master volume on the ZXA1 to get to the proper level for playing a gig! If whatever you send to the line input is not loud enough, even will all volumes set to their maximum, you will need a small mixer to boost the levels. Good luck!

[edit - I'm not sure what this looks like to others, but that "∞" that I see above is supposed to be the "infinity" symbol! It looked OK on preview!]

Good process.

And Reezekeys is correct about the female XLR...I failed to notice that when I said it would work. Sorry about that.

www.stickmanor.com

Please check in when you've used your speakers/keys for awhile and have optimized the transport and speaker placement. Gig report!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I have both the CP4 and PX-5S. I tried to make the Casio work as my go-to gigging machine because the low weight IS very attractive. However, the middle of the Casio sample just doesn't cut it for me it sounds 'plastic' and artificial. Yes, I've tried nearly all the many variations people have uploaded to the Casio forum. So now, it's my back-up or secondary board if for example, sometimes at weddings I'm required to set up in two locations. It's also something I can throw in the back of the car as a precaution if I'm booked to play an acoustic I'm not familiar with.

You could try pairing the PX-5S with Pianoteq, but then you're adding more weight, carrying and fiddling with cables/interfaces. And believe me, you WILL feel a real difference, weight wise, between hauling the Roland and the Yamaha. Personally, I've always found there's a 'tipping point' of around 18kg, beyond which hauling around and setting up an 88 board becomes a VERY different experience!

I've also found that the angled shape of the RD line makes them even more difficult to manipulate, especially in tight spaces (i.e. 90% of breakdowns, when the entire band is trying to get gear packed at the same time). The weight distribution of the RDs also tends to feel 'back heavy'. The Yamaha's square edges make it easier to get a grip for lifting on and off the stand, and the weight seems distributed far more evenly.

The Casio sounds pretty OK in mono, btw. If you were in a bluesy rock outfit, you might even make it work for you. But for a serious jazz player such as yourself, like Dave F, I think you'll be left disappointed.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

It appears you already bought the Casio but I feel the same as Aidan , with regard to the Casio and the lap top..

Not to be belaboring the point but from a simplicity, playability, reasonable schlepping weight and sonic perspective, again:

Personally, being at the level you are at, I can't see you on anything less then a CP4.

Dexter, this might interest you.

Taken from this thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2682341/Re_Damn_the_CP4_sounds_great

Archived