Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triceps tendonitis

Dave Bryce

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disc golf. :idea:

Yes, in my left arm. I can throw with either hand. What caused it is that my right arm has been a bit sore, so I've been throwing almost exclusively with my left. Hurt it on Thursday (I play four to five days a week), then gigged on Friday night.

:facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

We are not happy. :(:rolleyes::mad::pop:

Left elbow. Ow. :P:facepalm:

dB

I wince in sympathy. As basic as this sounds, turn to a heating pad. I've been amazed at how much good it has done to simply lay on the thing for a while. Be mindful of the time you spend on it, but its a worthy tool. Its no cure, but anything short of needing a chiro suggests giving it a try. Its non-invasive and non-chemical. Go for Occam's Razor first. Goooo, Occam! I hope it clears up soon.

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

I wince in sympathy. As basic as this sounds, turn to a heating pad.

Ice actually seems to help me more.

I've been amazed at how much good it has done to simply lay on the thing for a while.

That's the one that's a bitch. I have a compression sleeve on it...but we use our arms constantly for things we don't even think about until it hurts. Reaching for stuff is the one that keeps getting me. :P

I hope it clears up soon.

Thanks, Dave - me, too!

dB

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

And half a bottle of Jack with a couple of Percocet should do ya.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Sorry to hear that. You probably know that sports doctors will say ice it as mush as possible and rest. Lots of anti-inflammatory, like Ibuprofen, can help if your system can tolerate it. The sports doctor can give you a cortisone injection, mine helped my shoulder. You'll need the right exercises to regain the strength and the flexibility you lose while taking it easy for several months while it heels.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

The sports doctor can give you a cortisone injection, mine helped my shoulder. You'll need the right exercises to regain the strength and the flexibility you lose while taking it easy for several months while it heels.

Some years ago I somehow developed 'tennis elbow' - I don't play tennis - and it hurt to even lift a pen.

Saw the Doc and he gave me an injection of cortisone, with what appeared to be a horse needle straight onto the bone on my elbow. The injection was painful but within 2 hours the pain had gone, has never returned and back to painless normal strength and movement within a week.

I am not a fan of drugs but that was a miracle cure for me. Maybe an option to discuss with your Doc.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Ice actually seems to help me more.

For your tricep that sounds about right :laugh: . It will be tough not to re-aggravate it once it feels better. A few weeks of PT might not be a bad idea.

Hope it feels better soon.

The sports doctor can give you a cortisone injection, mine helped my shoulder. You'll need the right exercises to regain the strength and the flexibility you lose while taking it easy for several months while it heels.

Some years ago I somehow developed 'tennis elbow' - I don't play tennis - and it hurt to even lift a pen.

Saw the Doc and he gave me an injection of cortisone, with what appeared to be a horse needle straight onto the bone on my elbow. The injection was painful but within 2 hours the pain had gone, has never returned and back to painless normal strength and movement within a week.

I am not a fan of drugs but that was a miracle cure for me. Maybe an option to discuss with your Doc.

Don't cast out the devil with beelzebub. Cortisone weakens the tendons, in particular when you get older. Better get this:

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Resistance-Preventing-Tendonitis-Intermediate/dp/B01N7KI8N9

It takes a couple of weeks of exercise though. But the pain disappears as the tendons get stronger. I went through this and it works.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Ice feels good but prolongs inflammation.

Fascia build up forms where there's less activity.

I stand and play so whenever I got inflammation I have to wear one of these.

2 weeks is the usual time.

That's with trigger point self therapy and isolation compression like the Ace below.

IMG_0539.jpgwindows screenshotcertificity.com

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Bugger, dude. You know what set it off? Gym?

I was thinking the same thing, along with age. :)

I had physical therapy for the first time last week, on my neck. I've had issues for 2 years, ever since I had my brain surgery. The PT said it is probably due to the way the mounted me on the table before drilling holes in my head.

He suggested using bags of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel as simple ice packs.

By the way, I didn't know anyone played Frisbee golf and admitted it. Oh, I play Frisbee golf. I just don't admit it. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

That's with trigger point self therapy and isolation compression like the Ace below.

IMG_0539.jpgwindows screenshotcertificity.com

That one's more for Tennis elbow, I think...which (if I understand correctly) radiates more into the upper forearm. I get that one in my right arm here and there, and have one of those cuffs to help with that.

The current one is in the back of my left arm at the top of the elbow (I think it's called olecranon). I'm wearing a compression sleeve - helps a lot.

I imagine one of our resident doctors will correct me if I'm wrong.

dB

I've suffered with this, along with tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, carpal tunnerl syyndrome and various wrist and shoulder problems. It would be nice if I could just get my entire right arm replaced.

For these various issues, I've tried anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, cortisone shots, orthopedists and chiropractors.

Tricep tendonitis can be kind of stubborn. As with many of the issues I mentioned, nothing worked better for me than simple rest.

I should say that, when I'm not resting an injury, I'm doing numerous stressful things to the arm and wrist, including tennis, exercise with kettle bells, plenty of typing and piano playing. So resting means laying off a variety of activities. Still, of all the remedies above, the only one I'm sure works in the long run is rest.

Yep, I got a similar speech from the doc. I play disc golf five days a week, and he gave me a talk about coming to terms with the fact that I'm not as young as I may think and might wanna consider cutting back a bit.

dB

I went the full medical route last year for my shoulder injury pain.

"Ice is the best anti-inflammatory we have, you can never ice it too much, try a bag of frozen peas" is what my orthopedic sports dpctor said to me. He diagnosed it as impingement syndrome or bursitis.

Before he could give me a helpful cortisone injection he had the joint x-rayed to help with diagnosis and decide if I needed surgery. After the heeling had begun he suggested specific exercise to strengthen the muscle group around the weakened area.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I had a rotator cuff injury three years ago (hoisting a PA cabinet onto a pole). It took a year to completely heal, (as these things tend to do), but what really sped it up was myofasial massage therapy. I wish I'd gone to her for "tennis elbow" a few years earlier, but was more into a DIY approach at the time.

Go get some pro help. Just a thought.

Here for the gear.

we use our arms constantly for things we don't even think about until it hurts. Reaching for stuff is the one that keeps getting me. :P

When I had a pulled shoulder muscle, sometimes just turning my head was agonizing. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Go get some pro help. Just a thought.

Spoke with the doc this morning. Since there's not really any swelling nor pain when it's immobile, he agrees that it's worth trying RICE as long as I promised to actually rest the thing for three to four weeks. He knows I'm not good at that sort of thing. Says if it doesn't show signs of improving after that, then it's off to PT with me.

I don't have another gig until May 12th, so I'm okay there...and I'm not sure I could go throw DG with my other hand without hearing about it from my better half. :idk::hitt:

dB

Hey, you corrected the thread title!

Didn't want to disturb your OCD... ;)

FWIW, I've seen it both ways. After all, it's only a single head that has the issue...and I believe you can refer to tricep (or bicep) in an individual capacity... :idk:

Did you put that typo in my post, too? Even if you didn't, I'm going to blame you for it anyway.

Go right ahead. I've seen that one both ways, too.

dB

I hate the grammar-nazi side of me, but:

No, the muscle, singular, is called the triceps. (Ditto biceps.) The origin of the term is the "three heads" thing, but the term itself is now used to refer to the muscle, singular, in the way that scissors applies to the single handy cutting device, and pants applies to the piece of clothing that I do not have on right now.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I hear what you're saying. Nonetheless, if you type tricep tendonitis or triceps tendonitis into a search, both seem to show up... :idk:

...and you do have to admit it was more than a bit funny that you had to go back and edit a spelling error/typo in a post correcting my grammar. :D

dB

I hear what you're saying. Nonetheless, if you type tricep tendonitis or triceps tendonitis into a search, both seem to show up... :idk:

So does knowimsayin' and irregardless.

...and you do have to admit it was more than a bit funny that you had to go back and edit a spelling error/typo in a post correcting my grammar. :D

No! Typos are only funny when other people make them!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived