Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Distortion/OD: What's your favorite flavor?

Winston Psmith

I figured I'd throw the floodgates open, and ask what everyone's favorite Distortion/OD sound was. Overblown tube amp, ancient dirt pedal, new boutique box, off-the-shelf TS RI, or what-have-you. I'm hoping one of you might point me towards my new favorite sound, or pedal, in my case . . .

I started looking for a 'new' Distortion sound a while back, after I retired my Maxon SD9 Sonic Distortion. That had been my favorite Distortion sound for a long time, but finally, I got tired of the fact that it was good for pretty much one tone, at least for my purposes.

I still have a NYC-made Big Muff, which I love, but it's not exactly the sound I want all the time; close, but not exactly there. I'm looking for something more like the bastard child of a Big Muff and an 80's Boss Feedbacker. Not exactly Transparent Overdrive . . .

Bring out your dirt . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of late, my favorite has been the Keeley Fuzz Head. Not a glitchy, noise-type fuzz, but maybe a ... hairy overdrive? It's pretty touch-sensitive, so you can dig in and get it heavy or lighten up and have just a bit of grit.

Since I don't have a high gain amp, I've considered the Tech 21 Comptortion to be my "stack-in-a-box" type of pedal.

As we've discussed, the Acoustic Imaginearing Quantum Drive is a pretty unique pedal, with a "standard" overdrive side and a kinda fuzzy/phasey quantum tunneling side. It is it's own thing.

As a fall-back, I still have my Danelectro Fab Overdrive, the best $15 I've spent on gear.

While I don't need any more dirt pedals, I've been perusing the clearance section at Prymaxe.com, and am keeping my eye on two items: 1) Electro Harmonix Octavix, just because I don't have an octave fuzz, and it's a good deal; and 2) Oddfellow "The Bishop", partly because it's a nice sounding pedal, partly because I mostly play in Christian rock bands so it fits the theme, and partly because of my love for

Of course, I'll probably wait too long and miss out on them. Hard to justify it since I'm not currently in a band.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

As we've discussed, the Acoustic Imaginearing Quantum Drive is a pretty unique pedal, with a "standard" overdrive side and a kinda fuzzy/phasey quantum tunneling side. It is it's own thing.

After you'd mentioned this the first time, I talked with Allen about the Quantum Drive, and he didn't have one ready, IIRC. We're at a show together next month, I'll get in touch . . . Thanks for the reminder!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I'm not into the dirt anymore, but when I started I was using and Electro Harmonix Boost in front of a Tube Screamer. Then I went to a Boss Distortion and a Boss Blues Driver OD with an MXR Compressor in front...then I went to the one I preferred which was a Tech 21 Blonde. Now I just use my Fender Floor if I need to. If I was looking for a pedal again I would check out the Boss Metal Zone. But before buying one, I would want to check out the Keeley Katana. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I don't have a favorite, really. I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to pedals, so I have lots to choose from. And most of them do something I really like.

Right now, in the lighter OD group, I'm loving my Magnetic Effects Satellite and Keeley Katana Blues. I'm planning to add a ThorpyFX Peacekeeper to that family.

And even though I have a Red Witch Famulus and a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2, I'm also going to get a ThorpyFX Gunshot for the medium gain stuff- hell of a pedal. There will probably be a TrueTone Jekyll & Hyde V3 in my future.

I recently picked up an Empress Heavy and Emma Pisdiyowat to help satisfy my high-gain metal cravings- should sound baaaad with my Orange TH30 Christmas prezzie- but will likely pick up something by OKKO as well.

And I have enough fuzz pedals to make an adult grizzly bear: ARC Effects, Black Arts Toneworks, EHX, Magneric Effects, Death By Audio, Spaceman Effects, SolidGoldFX, Catalinbread and others all have representatives in my collection. And I'm not done buying, yet.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I prefer to get as much good overdrive and distortion from a tube-amp as I can, and I really enjoy augmenting that with fuzz pedals, particularly octave-fuzzes. All of which absolutely must vary in character and gain/dirt in response to my guitar's volume-knobs, my "touch", and volume-pedals and the like.

Sometimes, for certain sounds, especially for covering a given classic tune, such as "Satisfaction" or the solo in Fool in the Rain",, for example, I'll use various fuzzes in front of a fairly clean tube-amp.

I have and absolutely cherish a Foxrox Octron, and I just moments ago received a B.Y.O.C. Scrambled Octave fuzz kit in the Mail; it's a spot-on clone of the circuit and components of the rare and weird Ampeg Scrambler from the '60s. I think I'm going to really like this pedal...

I have a Radial Tonebone Plexitube pedaL; it's not terribly dynamic, as in it takes a LOT of volume roll-back to clean-up at all, but it works great as a pair of virtual additional channels for my Fuchs Lucky 7. It's a very good Marshall-like overdrive and distortion pedal. I originally got it to put in front of digital-modeler/multi-effects units, which was a great enhancement for going DI to headphones, etc. Feeding my Octron into the Plexitube is sheer roaring lava-toned awesomeness.

I started looking for a 'new' Distortion sound a while back, after I retired my Maxon SD9 Sonic Distortion. That had been my favorite Distortion sound for a long time, but finally, I got tired of the fact that it was good for pretty much one tone, at least for my purposes.

I still have a NYC-made Big Muff, which I love, but it's not exactly the sound I want all the time; close, but not exactly there. I'm looking for something more like the bastard child of a Big Muff and an 80's Boss Feedbacker. Not exactly Transparent Overdrive . . .

lightbulb.gif Winston, you would LOVE a Foxrox Octron, I am sure- especially stacked with other dirt pedals, etc. And the VFE Fiery Red Horse, V1 or V2, are excellent super-versatile, gainier Muff-based pedals that I think you'd really like. Feed an Octron into a Fiery Red Horse with some echo, and beautiful fuzz-synth sounds reminiscent of John Paul Jones' keyboard work on the intro and bridge of Led Zeppelin's "In The Light" result. Even better with a volume-pedal or SG-1/SV2/Bumblebee volume-swell stylee in front!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks, everyone, please keep the ideas coming.

@Danzilla - heard back from Allen, he's working on one even now. With any luck, he'll have it ready by next month? Come down to the show if you can, I'd love to meet up IRL!

@Larryz - I really liked the Boss Blues Driver, mostly because it was like having my Blues Cube in a pedal; very responsive, with a nice snarl to it. I've started taking my Blues Cube out again, so that sound is covered. Tried the Metal Zone when it came out, and somehow it never grabbed me. I honestly preferred the original Heavy Metal in that series, but the Feedbacker was my favorite. Yeah, I sold the Feedbacker when it became Vintage.

@Dannyalcatraz- That's how I wound up with somewhere around 30+ dirt pedals: I wanted to try nearly one of everything, but didn't get enough variation in sound to justify keeping them all. I was looking at a Red Witch Fuzz God recently, but held off in favor of the Echolution 2 Filter Pro. No regrets on that count . . .

Ah, Caevan, so sorry, I was writing while you were posting. Looks like the Octron 2 is only available direct from Foxrox? Would be very cool if I could try one at my FLMS, or somewhere nearby.

I'm looking for a gawd-awful Prog/Metal kind of sound here. I'd like to be able to go from a kind of creamy OD/Sustain, to an apocalyptic roar, without pushing the volume to where it's hazardous to anyone sitting close. The Quantum Drive seems like it might be just the box I need.

What do you want? Hi or Ultra high gain? Flexibility in tones? or unique more Avant-garde sounds?

I haven't found a good high gain box that makes a good versatile or lower gain box. With the exception of Visual sound I don't see "Distortion" circuits that play well with "Overdrive" circuits. Guys like to stack that stuff but to me it creates a lot of hiss. Visual Sound does this with their red double pedal and it is fairly quiet. I might pickup a jekyll and hyde because I'm struggling with some of the new "Country" metal tones. I'm doing Brantley Gilbert stuff done in drop C#.

For guys that actually care about reducing pedal hiss ISP is the best noise suppression in pedal form I have found. ISP is the old Rocktron (Hush) designers that are our with a new company.

Some stuff I like that I am not using includes the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone. Dirt pedal are compressors and combining dirt and compression circuits usually don't get results I like but in this case it does some really nice things and it is fairly quiet. The Plimsoul is nice pedal at combining soft clipping ODish stuff with a hard clip circuit.

I like a huge chunk of the Wampler line. (Thirty Something, Pinnacle, Plexi Drive Deluxe, Dual Fusion, Hot Wired etc...) Currently using the Sparkle Drive Mod and Wampler Pinnacle plus amp and EQs and Compression. My job is too try to sound like everybody.

My favorite dirt I'm using currently is a graphic EQ pedal into my 50 watt boogie with a Kendrick attenuator braking the speaker by -12db.

Hardest part is figuring out what plays well with what. All this stuff works different with different amps. I was talking with friends at the shop and they were ragging on the DS-1. I told them what I found is I play single coil pickups and for those the DS-1 sucks. But with a Les Paul doing Journey type stuff the DS-1 does great. I'm currently using a DS-1 with my pedal steel on a Jason Aldean tune. My Steel pickups are massive. The DS-1 loves hot pickups. LOL

Unfortunately no matter what pedals I use I still sound like me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've never owned a OD/distortion pedal, preferring to get my dirt from the preamp. I owned an early Rockman XPR for a long time, and that thing's distortion was the best. All the EQ options on it were the key...parametric and graphic EQs are my weapons of choice in the fight for good tones when it comes to the preamp I've used since. If I were to go the OD/dist pedal route, you can bet your ass I'd have some sort of an EQ both before and after it in the signal path.

Hardest part is figuring out what plays well with what. All this stuff works different with different amps.

That's the biggest issue I have with the Tech 21 Comptortion - I definitely need a sound check with it to make sure I've got the right level & compression settings depending on what amp I last played it through and what I'm playing at that moment!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Right now, in the lighter OD group, I'm loving my Magnetic Effects Satellite and Keeley Katana Blues.

Danny, how to you like that Keeley Katana Blues? :cool:

Very nice. Perfect for that dirtied-up clean sound that works so well for electric blues. Good for classic rock, too.

[video:youtube]

And as I mentioned, the Magnetic Effects Satellite and ThorpyFX Peacekeeper are in that same family.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Looks like the Octron 2 is only available direct from Foxrox? Would be very cool if I could try one at my FLMS, or somewhere nearby.

Don't be shy of used Octrons; they hold up well and Dave Fox treats any Foxrox owners all the same, be they original brand-new purchaser or for the umpteenth used re-sale; he's one of the best out there for customer service and support, an all-around great guy.

The VFE Fiery Red Horse V2 should suit you well, particularly with its Baxandall EQ and dynamic response/"clean-up" characteristics. Especially with an Octron to kick in with it!

By the way, in my opinion, there are no good demo videos or recordings out there on the internet for either of these pedals. Certainly none that accurately do them any justice.

Here are a few that might interest you:

<---thanks Danny, here's another Keeley Katana demo with many different settings while switching a Strat using singles and an LP using HB's...kind of what I would be looking for...+1 Winston, I have ruled out the Boss Metal Zone. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'm looking for a gawd-awful Prog/Metal kind of sound here. I'd like to be able to go from a kind of creamy OD/Sustain, to an apocalyptic roar, without pushing the volume to where it's hazardous to anyone sitting close.

_ lightbulb.gif Something like one of these might be bent very well to your will and described mission-statement (love the Havoc Switch):

______ [video:youtube]

______ [video:youtube]

__________________________________________ :rawk:

Just making my way through some of those video demos this morning. Lots of cool sounds out there. Thanks, everyone.

@CEB - FWIW, the Boss Feedbacker's Distortion circuit was supposed to be a DS-1 circuit, but it always sounded a little darker to me, which I liked. Definitely agree, you want HB's with a DS-1.

Here's a video of Roine Stolt (Flower Kings, Steve Hackett) using the Quantum Drive. The tone of this box reminds me of Steve Hackett's tone, no surprise, almost a 'singing' Distortion, but with plenty of bite on tap, if I want it. I imagine you could play a beautiful Blues solo with it, as well, but for what I'm looking for, this is the closest thing I've heard.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqES2jjVd4

I'm thinking that a clean/slightly dirty amp, a Visual Sound/TrueTone Route 66 or a Fulltone Fulldrive and a humbucker guitar will get you there. With crafty knob twiddling, of course.

I'm thinking that a clean/slightly dirty amp, a Visual Sound/TrueTone Route 66 or a Fulltone Fulldrive and a humbucker guitar will get you there. With crafty knob twiddling, of course.

Good call. As might many of Brian Wampler's offerings, particularly his "Amp In A Box" pedals.

Also, the Radial Tonebone Plexitube might serve you well; it's a VERY versatile pedal, with two channels, to boot- I like to set up Ch. 1 for biting, somewhat scooped "rhythm" (yet with a mid-boost in front, via its own switch options), and Ch. 2 for fat, boosted "lead". Ch 2 even has its own effects-loop/insert, so that you can connect, say, modulation and echo pedals that will only effect Ch 2 when you kick it in...

<---how about something like this? :cool:

Handmade, but I'm guessing not so high quality. I'm hearing some crap sounds (bad chord, mic, solder joints, etc.,?) in between the notes, but I think this guy is going in the right direction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsW9OPijAuM <---or maybe by a Carlos pedal by Zoom...

ps. I was kind of hoping you guys might recommend a new Paul Reed Smith LOL!

Take care, Larryz

Good call. As might many of Brian Wampler's offerings, particularly his "Amp In A Box" pedals.

I'm not Vox guy but the Wampler Thirty Something does a killer clean/slight dirty. Sound great with P90 Les Paul.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I figured I'd throw the floodgates open, and ask what everyone's favorite Distortion/OD sound was.

I use a Nady TD 1 I like it so much I have a second one for my road pedal board.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/nady-td-1-tube-distortion-pedal

I'm not Vox guy but the Wampler Thirty Something does a killer clean/slight dirty. Sound great with P90 Les Paul.

I've had one on my G.A.S. list since they were introduced as the "Ace Thirty". Gotta do something about that...

Never really found what I was looking for in stomp boxes. I've heard lots of them used to great effect, but they never felt right when I played.

A tube screamer or low gain OD as a boost for solos was a far as I ever got.

Once I got an Axe-FX in 2008, I pretty much used the preamp gain in the models for dirt.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Archived