Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Pat Metheny US tour

Justin Havu

Going to see Pat on Tuesday at the Music Hall in Portsmouth, NH. It's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me, as I love his music, and he rarely ever comes to this neck of the woods. Can't wait for this!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antonio Sanchez - drums

Linda Oh - bass

Gwilym Simcock - piano

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I know this band was recently in the studio. :cool:

I've seen PM more than any other artist. The PMG in many editions, starting with Nana Vasconcelos on percussion through "The Way Up", solo, as a sideman with Joshua Redman, the different trios, with Brad Mehldau, and the 2 Unity ensembles. I enjoy musicians who constantly change the settings for their creative output and am very much looking forward to hearing this new group. There are no current tour stops near me but maybe they'll add dates during summer.

This was by far the best concert I've been to. Pat and his band were on FIRE the whole night! He had everything with him--the guitar synth, the Pikasso, he did some acoustic stuff, the whole show just blew me away!

Hardware

Software

I'll second what Mark said. I've also seen PM more than any other artist (though not as many times as Mark, it would seem), and I'll continue to see him any chance I get. There are very few musicians I can think of who are constantly pushing themselves in as many new directions as PM. And unlike most people who would probably settle into a routine at this point in their career (no matter how adventurous they used to be), he's heading in even MORE new directions, between the orchestrion project, the John Zorn record, the new Cuong Vu record, the Unity Band, the Brad Mehldau stuff all which goes in totally different directions. I really hope there's another PMG record/tour in the future (it's such an amazing band) but it has certainly allowed him time to work on all these other things. When he's playing live, he's never phoning it in, and he always looks like he loves what he's doing, so I'm bummed that the current tour isn't coming by me (yet). Linda Oh is a fantastic bass player, and her compositions are really interesting. I have no idea who wrote the stuff on the new record, but I can't wait to hear it.

I've seen Metheny live about half dozen times. My favourite line up was always the Pat Metheny group with Lyle Mays on keys. There's something about the Mays & Metheny co-operation that's magical. Too bad they haven't been on the road together for a long time. But I'm sure the current band is amazing too.

Archived