Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greatest female guitar player today.

JuJu Kwan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Much respect for Orianthi and Raitt- don't know June's work off the top of my head- but my vote for top talented female axe-slinger goes to Kaki King.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I like Liona Boyd a lot. Ana Vidovic is a great younger player. There are lots of great women players. My classical guitar professor was a woman. She was no slouch either.

I like Emily Remler's musical sense.

Muriel Anderson is a great player but not just guitar. She play harp also and fuses the two and does some harp guitar. She plays many style. I don't know much about the Harp-guitar. I think it has as much about passive resonance of the harp strings as it does directly playing the harp strings. Like how the string resonance of a piano works.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Interesting thread. Gives me a lot of stuff to mine.

I'm really not too familiar with a lot of female guitar players unless just those who strum along while singing folky tunes.

I'm really only familiar with Bonnie, Joan Jett, Nancy Wilson and Lita Ford( he said, betraying his age.) I was going to add SUZI QUATRO, but she plays bass. Oh, and long gone MARY FORD.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

More Muriel:

and Badi Assad, who I would've said was the best guitarist in the world back in the late '90s/early '00s.

haven't been keeping up with her releases over the last decade or so, but she used to sound like the best Brazilian combo you've ever heard, only she did it all by herself live.

No telling who is the greatest, and if there were one, it would only last until someone surpassed that one. You know there are plenty of great players you will never hear of, playing in small clubs and at home or among friends. I know I have seen some astounding players locally in different places many times.

The concept of best ever, or greatest, is a fallacy that can never be answered. Just my $.02

Now the question worded as follows "who is your favorite, IN YOUR OPINION" can be answered, but it is only that, a one person OPINION

And opinions are not necessarily facts. They are ONLY opinions

Strum along while singing folky tunes? What are you talking about?

That should need NO explanation. But I'll help ya along....

Like JOAN BAEZ, JUDY COLLINS, JONI MITCHELL, CARLY SIMON et al.

THAT sort of thing.

Sure, some seem BETTER at it than others, like, I'd put Joni's self guitar accompaniment FAR above the others, but not neccesarily "GREAT". Just very "good". ;)

Whitefang

JuJu, none of those folkies Fang mentioned can be compared to the great guitarists you mentioned. It would be like comparing James Taylor, Bob Dylan and Jim Croce to Jeff Beck LOL! As far as strumming along goes, they would beat Jeff Beck as they are some of our great singer songwriter maestros who actually invent the music using a guitar for back up. Rhythm guitar players should not be underestimated, but those players like Beck, Orianthi, etc., definitely deserve the guitar player spotlight IMHO... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I Liston mostly to Beck, Santana and the Rolling Stones. June Millington is my favorite. It's as much about her story as it is her playing. I saw her in Boston in February and it was a great show. I read her 500+ page autobiography this summer and it was an incredible story of being a woman in a mans world.

I took lessons from Emily Remler http://allthingsemily.com/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Remler a stunning jazz be bop guitarist.

During the summer of 1976 0r 1977, She was walking by my house one afternoon and I was practicing with my Twin Reverb turned all the way up of course. She knocked on my door, came in and introduced herself as a jazz guitarist, and offered me lessons for 5 bucks a half hour. Her reason was; She was vacationing on the resort island where I lived year around, and she said she was running out of money. So I handed her my guitar and she asked I turn the amp down which I did and she proceeded to blow my mind with her skill. So I took an hour right then and there, gave her the ten bucks, and took lessons from her every day she was in town and again several summers later. She hipped me to "flavors" in music, by showing me about the modes, and different scales. This was before her heroin habit which killed her in Australia on May 4, 1990.

Remler was addicted to opiates including heroin and dilaudid. She died of heart failure at the age of 32 at the Connells Point home of musician Ed Gaston, while on tour in Australia.

I know a personal friend of Gaston, who told me she OD'd in his bathroom.

My favorite female guitarist hands down, (before the heroin habit she was a magical player).

Liona Boyd hands down until she was diagnosed with Focal Dystonia several years ago. She's had to simplify her playing significantly as a result. She plays mainly New World music now as she can't play most of the classical stuff anymore.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

No apoogy needed JuJu. I was merely pointing out that I was unfamiliar with any women who played guitar BEYOND that point...except for the three I mentioned(Lita Ford, Nancy Wilson and Bonnie). :)

As for female guitar SHREDDERS, I'm out of touch.

Whitefang

I'm not familiar with June Millington
June, and her bass playing sister were in the band Fanny in the 1970's, there are several videos on YouTube that show off just how good, and unique, a blues-rock guitarist she is. She still plays and records, worth checking into.

Katie Melua is better known for here singing, but she is a very good player as well.

For the harder rock, Allison Robertson of the Donnas is a riffing machine.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

@ Bottom End, I checked out June and her sister on YouTube. She's very good and has fun playing and singing, but not as "great" as Orianthi IMHO. My vote would still go to Bonnie Raitt and as another great, I would vote +1 on Danny's pick: Kaki King (who is a proud forum Dad's daughter)...Kaki is definitely worth checking out too! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Orianthi is a great technical player, no doubt. I bought her solo album, which was good, but I think the record label didn't know how to show off her chops, and gave her some weak pop production and songs. I saw her in the Michael Jackson documentary, which showed her off a little better . The problem facing many great guitar players is having songs within which to put their guitar playing, IMO. So, Orianthi's playing in MJ's band is a little "better" if not a total shredfest. There's nothing wrong with shredding, but after Dimebag, Vai and Satriani, it's hard to think of newer players who aren't just a little louder, or a little faster, but don't have much new to play. I could be very wrong about this, I'm an old guy who is willing to listen to new artists, but cranky enough to think most bands from his high schools were better, uphill, both ways, in the snow.

Bonnie Raitt, good enough to play on Little Feat records, IIRC when Lowell Goerge's hand was injured, and a true slide playing ace.

Kaki King, I really haven't heard enough of her work, though she has been around for a while, but she reminds me a little bit of Preston Reed.

An underappreciated female guitar player, who is also a fantastic singer, is KT Tunstall. She has a lot of videos which don't feature her playing, so here is one from her early days, when she did it all on her [video:youtube]ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyoxdhHrIs own.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

<---speaking of Orianthi and Vai, here's a video that sold me on her talent and her ability to keep up with one of the male guitar gurus... :cool:

ps.

<---here's a cool version of a top 10 female guitarist list with a few honorable mentions! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Lots of good players in that second video.

Surfing the interwebs, I was reminded of Joanne Shaw Taylor: [video:youtube]

Archived