Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas songs

J. Dan

Not to dilute my other thread, I thought it would be fun to start a thread of Christmas songs for bar playing rock bands. These are the ones I'm learning for this Saturday:

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa - John Mellancamp

Merry Christmas Baby - John Mellancamp

Please Come Home for Christmas - Eagles

Santa Claus is Comin to Town - Bruce Springsteen

While they wouldn't work with this particular band, there's that Waitresses one, Do They Know It's Christmas (the Band Aid thing), the Paul McCartney one with the horrendous delay timing on the synth.....any other good rock Christmas songs that would work in a bar full of drunk people?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant imagine a bar full of drunk people wanting Christmas music at all. But then again I think most of is just plain silly. You can hear it 24 hours a day at Wallymart, every other retailer and gas stations.

We are not learning any. Our fearless may and may play it as a sing along as he did last year. We played on Christmas though.

BahHumbug!... Get off the snowman on my lawn! :roll::roll::roll:

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)- the U2 version works pretty well. I also do 2000 Miles by the Pretenders around this time of year, both in my solo-acoustic shows & with one of my cover bands. Not exactly rockin' but drunk people can sway to it. lol

Here are some I'm doing this year with an 80's band :

Wonderful Christmastime - Wings

Last Christmas - Wham

Winter Wonderland - Eurythmics

Santa Baby - Madonna

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch - Whirling Dervishes

Christmas is the Time to say I Love You - Billy Squier

Hazy Shade of Winter - Bangles

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Any standard Christmas song could work. Just a matter of putting a Rock remix on it.

In my head, I can already hear "Let It Snow" with a Green Day treatment on it. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My son with a Learner's Driving Permit gets to play anything on the radio while we practice driving. This season looking at Christmas lights in different neighborhoods and of course listening to the channel that plays Christmas music, Bruce's Coming to Town comes on and I don't say a thing. After it plays for a couple of minutes, my son makes a face and we agree that the song is terrible, the singer's out of tune and should look for another line of work. I explain to him that Bruce is very popular and Coming to Town is not necessarily indicative of all his other work, but my son doesn't change his mind. I don't either. That's not bluesy note bending, he's just not getting there and he should have made another take.

Eagles-Please Come Home - Joe W. nails a wonderful solo.

Kurzweil PC4

Great topic, just learned a few for a corporate party we did!

Jingle Bell Rock - they requested this (and then we proceeded not to play it for some reason...oh well)

Merry Christmas Baby - the live Clapton/Sheryl Crow version, real bluesy

Run Run Rudolf - Live Skynyrd version *HOW THE HECK does he play piano that fast.....*

and

Father Christmas by the Kinks

That last one...I'd never heard that in my life. What an odd, odd song. All the breaks are different lengths and not always on the beat, so this was a nightmare to try to learn exactly. We made it more "regular". In the end, we'd spent more time on this than the other three combined and simply decided to drop it. Weird choice by our singer in the first place IMO! :)

Archived