Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheese Factor 10... Final Countdown

JimboK

So the band wants to do "Final Countdown" for our upcoming new years show. So I've pretty much got it down but no matter how hard I try, I cannot get past the cheese factor of this song. Is it just me?

Will this thing go over with a drunk crowd? Is it a secret weapon like "Whip It" or "Sweet Caroline" or am I just putting time into something the audiences will hate as much as I do?

I mean I know "Jump" is cheesy but no one doubts it's reception. "Final Countdown" looks to have trainwreck written all over it!

Thoughts? Experiences?

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What could possibly go wrong?

[video:youtube]

And my 2c...I think Whip It would be my choice 1000 times over, at least it might be something to dance to...(in the 80s my answer would have been different...in fact we played "Carrie" by Europe!)

edit: I feel kind of mean posting that video, I should say that my first band (age 15) was approximately 27 times worse than that band...our version of "Jane" (sung an octave down) was legendary, and thank God there was no youtube back then...

A drunk barcrowd at New Years will love it. Just don't take yourselves too seriously. Maybe say on the mic that you normally wouldn't pull this song out but it was made for an occasion such as this.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If you are going to play it then own it. Don't ever apologize.

Cheese is good. People often like cheese. If you're working then you aren't cover Rachmaninoff anyways.

A chessmaster that taught me a lot about the game often told me. "Cheap is good".

PS - Just be able to nail it vocally.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You could always work it into a "big hair medley" with tunes like Here I Go Again/Turn Up the Radio/Living On a Prayer/etc. Seriously, I think doing a whole throwback mini-set for the right crowd would be awesome. You wouldn't let the tune wear out its welcome. The wrong crowd would be one who wants to dance, obviously, you need a bike week crowd maybe.

Thanks everyone. We're gonna do Final Countdown right before the ball drops then follow it with Livin' After Midnight as part of a mini-hair-New Year's thing. We already do Here I Go Again which always kills. No one dances to it but you can hear the whole place singing along to it so no complaints there.

Yeah, I brought up Whip It because it's ALWAYS killed. The band laughed when I forced them to play it but 2+ years later they all get it. It's almost "pour some sugar on me" or "play that funky music" level in ability to fill a dance floor.

We have two stud high-register singers so we'll do it well I'm sure.

Thanks. I needed a cheese appreciation pep-talk.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Oh, and by the way, I noticed none of you actually owned up to actually playing it... Smart!

I confess,....i've played it.

But i made some extremely fat and huge brass/synth layers that sounded awesome.

Even the intro with the winds, take-off sounds, rocket switches i programmed.......it was fun.

I have heard some bands play it with cheezy sounds, yes then it becomes a total embarrassment.

Make sure you dig your own sound !

Played it many times and have absolutely zero objections! Goes over great, people love it and sing along and I found it fun to play, and your guitar player will have fun doing the solo. I did long stints in two 80's tribute bands with full costumes etc., so I'm probably immune to cheeziness.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

If you are going to play it then own it. Don't ever apologize.

Cheese is good. People often like cheese. If you're working then you aren't cover Rachmaninoff anyways.

A chessmaster that taught me a lot about the game often told me. "Cheap is good".

PS - Just be able to nail it vocally.

This!!

Played properlygoes a long way towards selling when on stage.

I would also reemphasize CEB's point....OWN IT an NEVER APOLOGIZE for it!

We all make fun of this and songs like, "Jump."

I heard a really good band last weekend play Jump, and it was one of the only times I've ever heard a cover band play it right. All the keyboard parts were there and played right.

It sounded really good.

Do the same with "Final Countdown" and you will win the audience. As cheesy as you may think it is, it is one of those guilty-pleasure songs for many people.

Yes I have played it, and it was fun. As someone above said, they made sure to use the proper sounds, and nail the intro, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I have to say...I'm not sure what youtube video got them hooked on this song (probably some minecraft parody, there are a ton of those), but my youngest son (10 years old) and his three friends spent part of a car ride singing this song with great gusto. God I wish I had recorded it....So they certainly wouldn't think it cheesy :)

Always a shock what songs the young folks know (and don't know). I work in an office full of 20-somethings that know more 80s songs than I do, due to 80s nights at bars...

Archived