Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Before I forget

whitefang

I won't bore y'all with posting that Thanksgiving joke I used to each year.

So instead, I'll take this opportunity to wish all of you that I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with good spirits and spirited music! :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends. I miss Thanksgiving, it was a day off from school and we where always invited to someone's home for dinner. It's Thursday morning here and instead of day off I'm off to class,just another day.

You do that Skip. And when you try to tell them what it's all about, be sure and tell them we don't eat our turkey RAW! ;)

Whitefang

Raw turkey....no.

Not even here.

I have had a few things that should never be eaten raw-not by humans.

Actually, people here think turkey is for Christmas.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Some think so too here. My wife's family usually has both on both days. Ham AND turkey that is. And THEIR "traditional" Thanksgiving dessert is CHEESECAKE. I'M the only one who likes pumpkin pie in that group. And speaking of tradition....

Whatever became of that baked confection known as MINCEMEAT PIE, That really had NO meat in it at all? It was my brother's favorite!

Whitefang

@ Skip, Just had some sushi last night...we usually do Turkey on Thanksgiving and a Prime Rib at Christmas. The bird is already in the oven this morning.

@ Fang, I was just reminiscing about Mincemeat Pie this morning. You don't see it around much anymore. I like it hot with a dollop of whip cream on top!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Well I posted in the other thread on T-day .. but you can never get too much TURKEY .. SO Happy Thanksgiving!! We do Prime Rib on Christmas as well VERY GOOD ..but today it's all about the bird and APPLE PIE, with more than just "a dollop of whip cream on top"

I brought this sort of thing up with some family members who brought over some leftovers for me and my wife, since she isn't able to travel all that well and we just stayed home.

But it seems each family has their own "traditions" that may sound odd to others, but ours might appear just as odd to them, so......

I remember some of the black guys I worked with saying they couldn't wait for Thanksgiving in order to "dig into them Thanksgivin' CHITLINS!" :sick:

Or how some never HEARD of pumpkin pie and didn't know you could MAKE a pie from pumpkins. :o

Another guy I knew said he stocks up on Cornish game hens...."EVERYbody gets one!" he claimed.

Some like cornbread stuffing, some don't. Some have taken to serving that cranberry "relish" while I'm fine with the jellied stuff that comes from the can. Grew up with it, and so it's MY "tradition" :cool:

@Larry---Like mincemeat eh? OK, so just what IS it? :D

Whitefang

Really can't tell you all that goes into making homemade mincemeat Fang, as everyone has their secret family recipes...coming from an Irish family, I'm sure my Mom's was different from the British recipe. There are some good ones on-line that tell most of the ingredients like green apples, raisons, nutmeg, candied peels of citrus, sugar, suet (whatever the hell that is) and me personal favorite brandy (although a good Irish Whiskey is more to me like'en). You can make a batch at Thanksgiving and have enough for another pie at Christmas. Most kids do not care for the mincemeat pies and prefer the pumpkin but I took after my grandfather and grew up really liking it. An old Irish friend would make me a personal sized one every year for the longest time but would not share her recipe LOL! You can buy it in a jar around the holidays but it's not quite the same. I've heard there may even be some little pieces of green tomatoes in it! :D

ps. some people have their family secrets with their fruit cake recipes which have a similar kind of theme...but I'm not that wild about them. :sick:

Take care, Larryz

@Larry---you got me curious so I looked it up.

SUET is apparently some kind of animal fat that comes from beef or mutton, as opposed to lard, which comes from pigs.

I also took time to look up mincemeat. At one time, a few centuries ago, it DID contain some meat, but by the 20th century, the closest think to meat in it is the suet. A lot of chopped apples and raisins and various spices. I used to spot jars of it in the supermarket I frequent, but the last few years it seemed to disappear. But then, when I got out of the hospital back in '14, I had trouble finding APPLE BUTTER for some reason. But it finally got back in there.

Whitefang

I knew suet was some kind of fat and that's about it for the meat in mincemeat...I didn't know if it came from cows, pigs, etc., until now. +1 long ago mincemeat actually did have some meat in it...which doesn't sound good to me. It's more of a traditional thing on the store shelves at Christmas. Kind of like trying to find eggnog out of season LOL! It's not hard to make but I leave it to the pros and love a little sliver whenever it's in the area of operation! :drool:
Take care, Larryz

I like me some eggnog too. So, do you like yours thin, or thick? I like mine somewhere in between.

There's a long time local dairy 'round here called CALDER BROS. that for decades made their own ice cream, and bottles their own milk from their own farm, and still does home delivery( if ya can AFFORD it, that is) and THEIR eggnog is so thick, that many people 'round here use it for FRENCH TOAST batter!

By the way, they also still put their milk in "old timey" looking glass bottles. And their "rear of the store" ice cream parlor still gets tons of traffic and business every summer.

Also LARRY: I would liken SUET to what used to be called CRACKLING( the unrendered fat from a hog or pig) back up in "the hills" once upon a time. NOW the term is used to describe fried PORK RINDS, or CHICHARRONES(spanish) or SKWARKI(for us POLACKS) but at one time used in sausage making and also some baking usage. I was told once that the original title to the old tune, "Mama's little darling loves SHORTENING BREAD" was "Mammy's Little baby Loves CRACKLIN' BREAD".

Whitefang

I don't care if eggnog is thick or thin, it just has to have a good shot of booze and a sprinkle of nutmeg on top!

It's very cool to have the old timey milkman business still in town!

I think Salt Pork is another fat used in cooking and floated in a pot of beans, not sure if it is referred to as Crackling?

Take care, Larryz

Archived