Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Long overdue: October 27 Mac event

zephonic

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be nice if they did something useful with the Mac Pro line? Maybe have a lower-end version that was affordable for people that want something more upgradable than an iMac or MBP but not so wicked powerful it was priced out of most people's budgets?

Sigh. I can dream, can't I? ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

^^^

Point well taken. For crunching audio a lot of these older macs are quite capable. It's the video crowd that yearns for cutting edge graphics performance and was the target for the black garbage can models with their dual AMD FirePro cards.

now, if Apple was to introduce an 8+ Core Mac Pro version without the heavy duty graphics cards for a thousand or two less, I wouldn't complain. But hell will probably freeze over first.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks for the site, Busch!!!

I'm considering a used Mac. My current MBP, from 2008, still going strong! But I need another computer and the upgrade path for the older ones is still great.

I never thought of OWC for used gear. Just considered the refurbished Apple website line; now, I have more choices.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

The 2015 Macbook Pro Retina runs just like your 2012 except the fans come on all the time and possibly less battery life. The trackpad click is also worse :-(

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

I think the overall survival of my macbook pros have been 3-4 years.(on my 4th if I count my old TI book) My late MBP retina late 2013 works perfectly under Yosemite. Did an attempt at updating the system to EL capitan but got issues with word and some work related software. Needed to update to the latest office package also ... some old powerpoints didn't even open so still on office 2011.

I have a recent MacBook Pro, my wife has a recent MacBook -- the one with the sole USB-C connector for everything.

Every time she needs to print something, she comes and finds my Mac. We've lost two of the USB converter dongles, and don't want to lose a third.

I hope Apple realizes the "Pro" market usually means you have a lot of stuff you want to plug into it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Glad I bought my 12 core Mac Pro (cheese grater model) when they were available. Apple has dumbed down the Mac Pro line since then.

Those 12 core Mac Pros are commanding serious bucks on the used market.

Recently wandered in to a 'hipster' shop selling older technology, Gameboys and other stuff but its main line was refurb MBP's and Mac Pro's. Plenty of 2013 MBP's but no 2012 or earlier upgradeable models.

I asked why they didn't have any of the upgradeable models and they said people hang on to them and they rarely come on the market.

The sealed for life approach from 2013 is probably not going to change but it would be nice if Apple offered a bulkier old style upgradeable option. There seems to be a market for these.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Thanks to everyone that wrote. While I've been an avid Windows user for most of my life, I was really contemplating moving to the mac world, just to say that I had tried it. Being retired, I have a lot of time now, and I've heard both great and horror stories about both windows and mac platforms.

Considering it's for my own "personal" enjoynment, maybe i'll consider Busch's idea for a used one and get myself a decent windows machine, or go with ITGITC's turnkey system.

Thanks again

Erlic/Raoul

Erlic

The price is reasonable for the customers it is designed for. Similar capability to an iMac 27 5K - but with the touchscreen and the new tools like that knob that rotates stuff.

I think this will be a big seller in the professional audio/visual markets and lots of other areas. Professionals wo need to easily combine typed material and hand drawings.

Definitely a different look.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

So....new MacBookPros, that's it.

The Magic Touch Bar seems nice, but its success will really depend on how developers will take advantage of it. I wonder if Apple painted itself into a corner by so staunchly proclaiming a touch display doesn't belong on a Mac?

But eh...

the new MBP without the touch bar with a 2,4GHz CPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD is $2199

The new MBP with the touch bar, a 2,9GHz CPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD is $2199

:hitt:

The Magic Touch Bar seems nice, but its success will really depend on how developers will take advantage of it. I wonder if Apple painted itself into a corner by so staunchly proclaiming a touch display doesn't belong on a Mac?

I watched the keynote yesterday, and there were a few demos; i would say that the Touch Bar is deeply different from a touch display.

It is more something like shortcut keys on steroids than anything to do with a touch screen; it focus back your interaction on the keyboard, by enriching it; so, something really for power/pro users, to make a complex workflow faster, than something like a tablet to make things easier for everybody.

I think that is why the demos where done with Final Cut and Photoshop (and a dj application) and this why the lower end Mac notebook are without the Touch Bar.

Personally i wouldn't want to rise my arm to touch a screen, and without the pen the resolution of my action would not be enough for things like fine Cubase editing.

But the Surface Studio may make sense, i think more in a niche than for a large public; for example,

would a Cubase or Logic Mixing Console being usable using multi touch on a Surface Studio ??

Would that substitute a control surface for a professional user ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Archived