Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A mistake I haven't made in a while

Josh Paxton

Playing a Wurli patch on my gig earlier tonight. Mod wheel controls tremolo, so its pushed up a bit. Switch to acoustic piano patch for next song, which I start by myself. Forget to pull mod wheel back down. Band and audience are treated to one bar of solo acoustic piano with fairly heavy LFO-induced vibrato.

Note to self: tomorrow edit the acoustic piano patch so the mod wheel does absolutely nothing.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had a similar experience with splits. LH synth and RH EP. Have to remember to centre mod wheel when switching from synth to EP. Otherwise unintended wah on the EP.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Common hiccup for us battleship commanders, er, KB players. :laugh:

It also forces us to consider spending more time on the "other" stuff that goes with playing music i.e. programming set-ups and controller functions.

The better manufacturers disable pitch and mod on piano patches. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Unfortunately I cannot blame someone else. I built it that way. I try to make it foolproof but I constantly under estimate a fool's ingenuity and short term memory :D:facepalm:

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Common hiccup for us battleship commanders, er, KB players. :laugh:

Egg on my face frequently also, and I'm to blame for not choreographing the moves tightly enough. :blush:

That said, a small peeve I have is that many manufacturers control the slider and wheel reset preferences (reset, hook, etc.) at the system level, instead of the patch, performance or controller-zone levels. I may be wrong but Kurzweil is one of the companies which is kind to battleship commanders in this regard, correct? :thu:

Are there others?

Fortunately has not happened on a gig, but, yes. MicroKORG. Switching back and forth from ethereal to organ sound within a song. The organ sound has the mod wheel all the way up. Most times I remember, but in jamming this weekend, I forgot to center it.

Of course, everyone looks at you as that "what are you doing different" thing to which I quickly and humorously replied, "Hey, at least it is not a *self centered* board*!

Worse than the mod wheel is when you forget the pitch bend. There is one song I do that ends with a pitch bend. For some reason I have to remember to line it back up exactly before the next song which admittedly if you are not in bright enough light can be a bit tough to do. "No, folks, I do not have a transpose button. It was just my absent mindedness."

I have often wished that the pitch wheel would center itself.

:)

Two boo boos last night. In setup, didn't understand why my OB3 clone was fuzzy and distorted. Other keyboards were fine. In a panic thinking the box was going bad and thinking up a plan B, went to unplug the Left/Rights and noticed one cord was plugged into the headphone out - oops.

Boo Boo #2 - one song ends with the organ fading out with the expression pedal. Next song starts while I need to quickly configure knobs, etc. Hands on keys, wondering why the organ is non-audible in the mix. Look down and notice the expression pedal still in the volume down position - quick recovery but sheesh.

Hammond XK5, Alesis QS8, Yamaha DX7IIFD, Roland XV2020 (SRX-11 & 12), Kawai RX7, Scheidmayer Clavichord, Strymon (Flint, Big Sky, Timeline, Mobius, Ola, El Capistan), Neo Ventilator II

Ran into that item recently with the Px-5s as well. I had loaded a patch from the Casio Forums that had disabled the Mod wheel, and when I switched to another AP for one song, BAM there it was with vibrato. Although it was not in a solo capacity.

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Luckily I haven't done this in a long time. My MOXF6 resets the mod wheel value to 0 when changing patches, so regardless of it's position, it is not sending any untoward CC values.

It had been so long since I played a board that didn't do that, that when I had my PX5S on a gig, I did get caught since I didn't think about making sure the wheel was at 0.

It does make for some "fun" moments ;)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

It had been so long since I played a board that didn't do that....

+1

I remember this happening with my Prophet 5 at least semi-regularly. :blush:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Some times it's the simple stuff that gets me. When I'm playing strings I'll fade out at the end of a song. Last Sunday the next song was a traditional hymn. So I'm the intro with all stops organ patch. Only I didn't put the volume back up so I start with no sound. Grab the volume and start again, but now I'm flustered so the second big chord is wrong. Stayed with it and finished the intro in the right place. Later I asked if anyone noticed and of course no one did. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I've had a top board resting on a pitch wheel, or some gizmo or other force a pitch stick up a quarter tone.

LFO piano would sound a bit like piano through a Leslie, no?

Here for the gear.

Between the Kronos and the stage 2 it was just crazy.

The stage 2 just goes to what that value would be. No spring back to zero.

And it's hard to tell just looking at it. I've since disabled it on everything.

If you save a patch with the wheel up it remembers.

I'm curious how this happens. What's the difference?

With the Forte you can set the entry and exit values on controllers.

This has cured my wheel up/down, controllers, and volume problems.

But I've done it too.

It really sucks when your going for the tender first dance song and out comes that

Jump patch layered behind it.

I actually just played it up and everybody had good stress relieving laugh.

John

The boo boos I make can be enormous.

#1 -- Plugging my damper pedal into a control pedal input. No sound.

#2 -- Tagging the headphone jack with one of the L or R inputs, then playing through an SSv3. Net net, sounds like @ss until you figure it out.

#3 -- Hitting the wrong preset because I'm blind (sweat, low light levels. eyesight). A growling Wurli is supposed to come out, but instead we get angelic choirs.

#4 -- That damn transpose key. Sometimes I hit it by accident.

Final insult: for one band, I sampled a Three Stooges routine. We worked it into the act. Brought the same board to another gig, and mistakenly hit the sample in the middle of a sensitive moment. It was like throwing a hand grenade.

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The boo boos I make can be enormous.

Final insult: for one band, I sampled a Three Stooges routine. We worked it into the act. Brought the same board to another gig, and mistakenly hit the sample in the middle of a sensitive moment. It was like throwing a hand grenade.

-- Chuck

I'm not laughing...okay I'm laughing!! LOL I can just imagine that!

I accidentally did the wrong patch thing at one of our first gigs as Escape 10 years ago. Imagine starting "Faithfully" with not the nice piano, but with some muted strings, and some blaring trumpets and tubas. Oooops. :D

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I sampled a Three Stooges routine. We worked it into the act. Brought the same board to another gig, and mistakenly hit the sample in the middle of a sensitive moment. It was like throwing a hand grenade.

....or throwing a pie? :D

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Chuck and David . . . :roll:

Yes, I am laughing, but I can also empathize. I am still trying to train my OCD to kick in and make sure the darn correct buttons are pushed and the knob is turned to the right setting. It can be quite hysterical if you have a lot of changes in your set list.

:)

I sampled a Three Stooges routine. We worked it into the act. Brought the same board to another gig, and mistakenly hit the sample in the middle of a sensitive moment. It was like throwing a hand grenade.

....or throwing a pie? :D

"Whoop, whoop, whoop!" right in the middle of the lead singer trying to emote a special moment for the audience. It wasn't pretty. But pretty damn funny as I think about it now. He was kind of a prig anyway.

I think he thought I was trying to sabotage him. No, but if I were, it was damn near perfect.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived