Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many KC-ers Will Buy...

Markyboard

When a new product is announced I'm always curious how many of us KC members will actually purchase that product. I get the impression that only a few here will actually ever buy a particular piece of software. But even where it seemed like everyone was waiting years for Yamaha to release a new board, how many bought one here, maybe 10?

I realize we're a fairly small group so maybe 10 of any product is a lot. And of course price factors into all this. I doubt too many here are waiting on their new minimoog but what about the DM-12? Will this be up there as one of the biggest selling items to forum members?

What are the most popular products purchased by KC members within the first year following initial release?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virtual Instruments priced up to $100, often within a week of release. Highly selective at over $100 and more likely to buy a resale license.

Hardware rarely, and never within 12 months of release. Prefer to wait and see how it works out for the early adopters.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Great topic. Of those who actually buy a new product there is always a mix of early adopters, "wait and see" people who wait for reviews and reports here and maybe will get after 6 months or so, and then still others that wait until they actually need.

RE: The Montage - That's a pretty expensive piece of gear, so it's a lot tougher to justify. But something under the magic $1000 mark like the PX-5S or VR-09 that provide a lot of bang for the buck will enjoy a lot of popularity here. Same with the DM-12: I can only imagine how many people here have been wanting a full-featured poly analog but price has been an obstacle.

I also think this group, being largely gigging pros, is much more picky about a keyboards form factor. 2 or 3 octaves of minikeys are a deal breaker. I'm, guessing many here would have bought boards like the Minilogue, Boutiques, Reface etc. had they been released in a full-size 61 key version.

I'd give the DM12 a good look but I'm not really in the market right now with a Nord A1, Ultranova, and FA08 to handle synth duties with my various projects.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

There were times when I had in excess of 10 keyboards, but those days are long behind me. I am never tempted by hardware anymore and only rarely tempted by software. I have a pair of Kronos 61s and an Integra-7 that can cover any ground I'd ever need. I still have a lot of plugins, but they're mostly updated versions of the software that I've been using for years.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I've almost quit buying virtual instruments. Really, I could cut back to Komplete and U-He and not need anything else. Also, I still feel burned from Camel closing shop and selling to Apple. I had everything they make including the complete collection of sound sets. I feel that any time a computer update will render all the Camel stuff useless.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I never want to buy something just developed. For software, I wait until Ver. 2 comes out, so they can work out all the bugs and add in all the stuff they couldn't do in the rush to release ver. 1. For hardware, I want to wait a year or more to hear what the folks who bought it and use it are saying about it.

I bought my Roland RD-700nx just as the RD-800 was released. I got the Roland VR-09 2 years after it was released.

Now that Omnisphere 2 has come out, I am thinking of buying it (what is holding me back is that I already have a bunch of software synths that I haven't fully explored or made use of - why buy another if I won't make good use of it).

In other words, I like to stay comfortably behind the "bleeding edge".

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I think one exception would the the SSv3 amp. I can't tell directly, but -- anecdotally -- it seems like more than a few made the leap shortly after introduction. The neat part is you can go to the beginning of the thread and see how it all played out over time.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

What are the most popular products purchased by KC members withing the first year following initial release?

OB-6 ?

Seriously doubt it. What's your guess on number bought by forum members to date? 10?

I'm thinking CP-4 or maybe SK-1/SK-2, either one which might have hit 15-20 purchases by us in the first year? Again, just guessing.

I think one exception would the the SSv3 amp. I can't tell directly, but -- anecdotally -- it seems like more than a few made the leap shortly after introduction. The neat part is you can go to the beginning of the thread and see how it all played out over time.

Good one Chuck, I also had this in mind although I haven't followed that massive thread so I have no clue how many here have bought one.

I was an early adopter of the SS3, and like some others, sold it because it didn't fit my needs. It's a great sounding amp for small venues and it was at it's prime in a blues setting for me, but it didn't have the low end I need for my 2 main projects, and carrying a sub defeated the purpose of a small all in 1 package.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

What are the most popular products purchased by KC members withing the first year following initial release?

Probably the ONLY new boards I bought within a year of release were my Hammond XK3, Moog Voyager, and Moog Taurus 3. When I learned that the XK3 could do user customized tonewheels, that was the selling point that prompted me to buy one sight unseen. The Voyager was a no brainer and I didn't care if the firmware was not yet fully developed at release. The Taurus 3 I knew was going to be a faithful reissue out of the stable - yes I helped with some sound development but that was shortly before production started and the product and synth engine were largely completed by then.

It's cool that they reissued the Minimoog but I already have a vintage RAM and the Voyager.

I never was an impulse buyer and I don't submit to hype. I checked out software at some friends' studios and was not convinced to sell my hardware. Very little of my gear was purchased new, and I have the skills to maintain and restore the old stuff.

Frankly if you wait until firmware is fully developed, you'll never buy anything. Peavey had a hit product with their keyboards years ago, but they abandoned the keyboard products because customers insisted on free firmware upgrades. It cost $$$ to develop these things. Most companies don't offer free upgrades - they implement upgrades in a brand new product so customers are forced to shell out $$$. That's how they want to market these things. Waiting for a firmware development to be completed is the wrong approach.

I don't even fit the target market for most new products. I'm largely a fan of analog synths, EPs, and tonewheel organs as well as being a piano player. I grew up during that golden era and still have a pile of the vintage stuff. Have never owned a sampler or workstation. I seldom used onboard FX as my ears tell me that outboard sounds far better. Gave up on the idea of a one-keyboard-does-it-all a long time ago - sure it can be built but few people will be able to afford it.

There were some new products that were tempting. If I didn't already have vintage Oberheims I would had bought a new OB-6 and Two Voice. I used to own a PAiA modular from 1981 to 1985 - the renaissance in modular synths is cool but 1) I had already been there 2) those things can be a money pit 3) it is a solitary hobby that has little to offer in an ensemble format and 4) sounds are not instantly recallable. When people want to know how new gear compares soundwise to vintage gear, that is a perspective I can offer.

I'm in the "wait and see" camp. Half the reason I started following this forum was to keep up on all the new stuff and hear about the early adopters experiences. Those first-hand, honest reviews are so much better than professionally produced demo videos.

I suspect the highest take up here within a year would be either the Casio PX-5S or VR-09, both sub $1,000 boards.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I'm tempted by the DM 12, but like several people mentioned already, I'd like to see and play it first.

And it's going to be quite while before that happens, judging by the pre-order craze.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yeah it's pretty funny. A lot of talk and excitement but not so much on the followthrough. I'm plenty guilty of it myself. I did buy the Minimoog D, but I'll sell off my Voyager. Success takes time. How many people bought the SK-1 when it first came out vs. who own it now? The Kronos is five years old (though constantly upgraded) and people are still just purchasing it.

Busch.

The Kronos is five years old (though constantly upgraded) and people are still just purchasing it.

$4000 is a lot of dough! Though the good thing is, you can buy a secondhand 1st gen model for a lot less and upgrade it. I've also noticed that a lot of folks unload the Kronos because they can't deal with it being so "complicated" (deep).

Yeah it's pretty funny. A lot of talk and excitement but not so much on the followthrough. I'm plenty guilty of it myself. I did buy the Minimoog D, but I'll sell off my Voyager. Success takes time. How many people bought the SK-1 when it first came out vs. who own it now? The Kronos is five years old (though constantly upgraded) and people are still just purchasing it.

Busch.

Exactly. Yesterday was hilarious with us practically drooling over the possibilities from Spectrasonics, a software company. Most people here being gigging musicians do not go for Virtual Instruments, and even for studio use prefer hardware. Most.

And good point Bill- while some products are definitely popular here it's difficult to discern when they were purchased. I do think the Casio and VL9 are good contenders for early high number of purchase by forum members.

Btw I'm also guilty as charged for whatever I'm accusing you GAS-aholics of.

Excellent question.

Yes, it's fun to talk about the latest thing on the market, but I should hope that most of us have our own buying cycles based on our needs. I tend to buy products with some track record, but within the form factor I need. For example, I could be looking at Montage technology in the form factor of a stage piano (CP4/S90) should one come out. It will depend on my gigging situation as I am not a collector of keyboards for their own sake. My Steinway is the only collection item for me. The rest of the keyboards are functional.

I will wait to see how the DM-12 plays in person before making a decision. On the question of Spectrasonics, I have been gigging Mainstage for a couple of years and would be open to a stable, substantive upgrade.

Unless you are an extremely boutique manufacturer, conversations on forums like ours are best not for estimating demand, but gauging interest.

Yes, it's fun to talk about the latest thing on the market, but I should hope that most of us have our own buying cycles based on our needs.

And right now I have to ask the question, do I actually need anything new? Not really.

The Montage is fascinating but too expensive, the Reface stuff is just kinda "meh", not enough keys on the Minilogue... which leaves the OB6 and the DM 12. :idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I would buy more gear if I could sell the stuff I'm not using! I've had this excellent Polytone bass amp for years, but I never use it. I've tried selling it every way possible, but I don't even get the low ball offers! As soon as I sell it and a couple other amps, I'm buying a SSv3.... the wait is killing me though.

It's really a bummer that only certain things will sell after they've been used. And even when they do the depreciation of "good as new" gear is almost as bad as a car.

Having spent most of my career in IT and on the software side I am rarely if ever an earlier adopter. In many cases it's almost like being a beta tester. My earliest adoption was the Gemini table-top that I just purchased. I prefer to have the bugs fixed and the price drop a little before I latch on.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Well I really don't do the software side. As far as everything else I have felt I had to keep up with the jones so to speak because of some of the rhetoric around here. I don't know why either because I was always able to make good decisions with hardware without having to see what other people are doing. I like the forum anyway but my latest purchase being the Mojo didn't knock my socks off. Listening to everyone else this was supposed to be the big equalizer and it just wasn't. Like the real MC I am interested in vintage stuff.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Was very tempted by the Prophet-6 & OB-6 but unfortunately can't really justify it in my projects right now. Same for the Roland Boutique series (and I know one gigging keyboardist in town who bought it within a few months of launch). I just bought the Electro 5 and the delay from launch to purchase was a matter of getting the $$$ together. I agree with the sentiment that the CP4, PX5S and the SK1 have been the best value-for-money releases as of late and as such have been purchased quite quickly after their release.

I buy software as I need it and often wait for sales (Black Friday, Boxing Day) to purchase it. Bought Komplete 10 a little while ago and most recently the Arturia V-Collection 5 upgrade and that should tide me over for a while.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Archived