Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many KC-ers Will Buy...

Markyboard

I look to this forum - above all others - for all my keyboard-related purchases. However, I buy on my timeline: when my want and feasibility coalesce. I keep in mind my sense of a board's production run and that a company's product replacement isn't always all-around better.

When researching, I read through all sorts of related "new board/slightly new board" discussions that were a year, two, or years old. Today's discussions become very useful to the interested whenever his/her timeline factors coalesce.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do not like to buy new releases. I've done it recently preordering a Kronos 2 and the FA-06. The FA-06 turned out fine. The Kronos had some firmware and software issues that raised their ugly heads.

Preferably I like mature proven products. I will let you guys be my beta testers. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

In 1993 I bought something pretty much brand new and I still have it to this day in good working order (Roland E-16). There is a reason for this.

The band I was in during the mid to late eighties, our band-leader used a lot of Roland boards. We made interesting music together. At the time I had Farfisa, Arp and even the old patch-cord MS-20 Korg. I played his Rolands quite a bit and really liked the sound and feel of them.

When we moved to the west coast and I had to sell everything off, I missed them. In time I got a decent job and was able to purchase something. I chose that because it was an intelligent arranger. I could go solo without other musicians and the drum machine to record stuff.

That said, that has been my only early adoption. The other boards I had that I sold off were used when I got them. The MicroKORG purchased new is my first purchase since 1993 and it is not a newbie either. I did a lot of forum reading everywhere, product reviews and demo videos before I threatened hubby into buying one for me for last Christmas.

:)

What are the most popular products purchased by KC members within the first year following initial release?

I'd put the PX-5S on this list. A bunch of us bought that board, and not primarily because of Mike Martin - although he was very helpful. It just clicked a bunch of buttons: ridiculously easy to transport, decent sound and action, and under $1000 so we didn't have to think about it too hard.

It was also (very important!) immediately available in large quantities, so we didn't have to wait. Waiting can be a fatal distraction for many of us :laugh:

That was the biggest problem with the Minilogue IMO. You just couldn't get one at first. In the meantime people like me started looking more critically at those mini keys and that funny bender thing, and concluding "nah... maybe not".

I'm almost certain to pick up a DM12. Like the PX5S it clicks a bunch of buttons - and many of the same ones. Not only that, all my vintage analogs have one issue or another going on with them.

Hopefully Behringer will be able to churn these things out fast enough to keep up with demand.

I am an early adopter.

Kurzweil PC3 (had to exchange first unit due to issues with pitch bend)

Hammond SK-1 ( had to exchange first unit)

Kronos 61 - (no issues)

Mojo 61 (no issues)

Montage (no issues so far)

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I pulled the trigger on a Mojo two manual a couple years ago first generation after following a thread here on it's development.

Have wanted something like that all my life and so glad I got it.

A student of mine played it and also got one.

I have a lot of "early adopter" versus "deal hunter" internal conflict.

I'd prefer to be an early adopter and can usually deal with the rough edges in the first release of technical products, especially those that you can expect firmware updates. For example, I ordered the Surface Pro 4 the day after the announcement. It's been a bumpy ride as the kinks got worked out, but worth it. I can justify technology purchases like this because it's my profession.

For major music gear, the "never pay retail" training from my childhood takes over. I usually buy a year or so into the product life cycle. I'm always searching for deals, so when I ran into a ridiculously low price for the Kronos six months after announcement, I went for it. If music were my primary profession, I'd definitely be more of an early adopter.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I like to be an early adopter.....if something is needed and worth having and I have the means of obtaining it, then the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. Waiting for a lower price means that I will have use of it for less time...... I would rather be using it for as long as possible.

I must have had one of the very first PX5s's in the Uk....I ordered one and remember reading that it would not be available here for months....but then it suddenly arrived the next week. I had neither seen nor tried one, but I had a strong gut feeling that it would be a good keyboard for me - and I tend to go with my gut feelings. But of course, that gut feeling was fuelled by you guys on this forum (where I lurked at that time.... :) ) who were even earlier adopters. Turned out my gut feeling was spot on and it is the perfect keyboard for me. :)

I think I was also an early adopter of the VR-09, which turned out to be another very good purchase. :-)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I got both the Mojo61 and Casio PX-5S shortly after they were announced, and I love them both. I haven't bought the SSv3 yet, because I have the QSC K10 also because of this place and the need for it isn't as immediate. I'm betting it will be a nice upgrade if I ever do get one, though.

I'll probably also get the K&M 18880 with the second tier at some point, too.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I gave a 1 year time frame as an example but my thought was really how many of us will end up buying one of these initially hyped up products at all? I thought it interesting when someone wrote (more or less) that as time passes following the product announcement/release more negative sentiments come to the surface that may dissuade us from our initial GAS attack. Also I hadn't even considered the whole early adopter pros/cons like usable life vs price reduction, working out the bugs etc.

But just to drive the point home (what ever it is :facepalm:) I went back to this thread as an example. After skimming through all 7 pages I wonder... how many of us actually bought one of these?

But just to drive the point home (what ever it is :facepalm:) I went back to this thread as an example. After skimming through all 7 pages I wonder... how many of us actually bought one of these?

It's Saturday morning in New England and I am probably more woozy and slow than I should be. Is your point that purchase should follow discussion? Or that more discussion should yield more sales?

I'd suggest that we discuss products for any number of reasons (disappointment, excitement, confusion, curiosity, love of synth history, etc.) and not necessarily as preamble to purchase or use. This is a place to build relationships and exchange knowledge about the things we love in music.

If you and I were salesmen at a car dealership, the time we spent in discussion with customers might become a metric for our sales manager to track, but I imagine the context is different here. The length of a thread could be an indicator of sales demand, but it could equally be an indicator of something else, like curiosity, difference of opinion or just a slow day on the football thread. That's the best my blurry mind can muster this morning I am afraid.....

This may or may not be relevant, but, among gigging keyboard players, how many belong to this forum?

Here's my small sample- I know of 5 people in my community that play keyboards in paying gigs. I am the only one that is on this forum.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Here's my small sample- I know of 5 people in my community that play keyboards in paying gigs.

It's three out of about a dozen or so for me (including me), so about the same. One lurks, the other posts.

Really anecdotal data, because I haven't asked around. Most of the guys would prefer to know about a new live music spot that opened up, or about a recent gig, than which forums we are in....

I'm waiting for Scott H. to buy one, not like it and then sell it to me. :w00t:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

All good points Jerry. In watching and waiting for the Spectrasonics announcement I'd sum up a lot of what we do as "can't wait to see the next thing I'm not going to buy". At least that's where I'm at these days and maybe I'm not alone.

With an endless pocket book I might jump on several new items, however on my income I have to be ultra selective. If I cannot make money with it, I pass on purchasing.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I gave a 1 year time frame as an example but my thought was really how many of us will end up buying one of these initially hyped up products at all?

I have never bought on hype, but usually get wowed by something if I have had time to play it- the OB-6 being a great example. It was instant gotta have it! at NAMM, and I bought one when it became available; still love it. I was also impressed by the P-6, but now I am glad I waited. I also bought an Andromeda and a Voyager pretty much right away, and held on to both for more than a decade.

I am waiting on a Minimoog D, and am dealing with a Parva. I think once they (he?) get the firmware figured out, Parva will be quite a nice synth, but I may be done with Kickstarters for these types of projects. With the DM-12, I would definitely want to play one first and see if it grabs me, but I am otherwise not really wanting one despite the hype.

As far as software, between Zebra, DIVA, Pianoteq, Logic's native stuff and Omnisphere I have all I could ever need; not even interested in the new omnisphere instrument. Maybe if someone came out with an amazing virtual Hammond.

I would have never thought myself one but looking back it's clear I tend to be an early adopter on much of my gear.

I bought all of these things within a year of them coming out:

-Motif XS

-CP4

-Montage 7

-Sub Phatty

But other gear I didn't buy right away. I either didn't have the $ or the need at the time.

Usually if I see rave reviews on KB Corner from multiple trusted voices, I know I'll be happy and that hasn't really steered me wrong, so I don't have reservations about taking a chance on some gear.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Interesting - hadn't really thought about this context before!

I'm usually an early adopter for everything tech, but every one of my current keyboard model had been out at least one year when I purchased them...and every one of them was purchased after a discussion on here.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Over the years I've shifted from gotta-have-it to wait-and-see.

The lone exception was the SSv3, as I was sorta frustrated with existing amplification options and really wanted something better. And yes, this forum tempted me to pull the trigger many months sooner than would otherwise be the case.

Keyboards and such? Most definitely not an early adopter. Although that new Behringer analog poly synth might tempt me to break my own rules.

That is, well after a bunch of you folks actually play one and share your comments :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived