Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth Part in "Long Way From Home" by Foreigner

Moonglow

My band is thinking about doing this song. I haven't heard it in a while and noticed the modulated filter sweep synth part which comes in at around 10 seconds in the video below, and then a couple of more times later on. I did some research and it was suggested the part is an "analog synth wave with a fairly straightforward filter sweep and some fast square wave LFO modulation." I know how to do the square wave modulation, but how to accomplish the filter sweep? Program a knob and do it manually? For reference, my keyboards are a Kronos and Jupiter-80.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSEwXM0K750

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set up a filter with the cutoff down and set up your ADR or ADSR or AAURSCREWEDSR with a very simple rise and fall.

Put your resonance at about 3/4 or more. Not whistling. Just nasel.

Add an LFO with a square wave modulating the filter. Done.

Hit your key and adjust.

A short slap back delay with a touch of feedback to get a little more hollow.

I haven't played this song in a long time. I think I did it with mini or a pro 1.

It's gotta bring the beef so you might have to pile on oscillators on

newer synths. Or use a Marshall stack or an SVT.

And ya. It's a kick ass song. This is serious take no prisoners rock.

With keyboards front and center. Love it.

John

Assign the filter to any modulation source (foot pedal, mod wheel/stick, pitch stick or a slider...). As for the square wave modulating the vca, this is true, but I hear the filter being modulated in this way too...so assign some there as well.

While you're sweeping the filter, you may want to assign panning to the same modulation source if your venue benefits from a stereo effect.

Dang it. Forgot relevance.

The Kronos could easily do this in the Poly 6 for the sweep but can it

do a square wave modulation on the filter? And would it be fat enough.

I'm betting the J80 can do it better.

The trick is setting the cutoff low enough and have that square wave

modulation deep enough to gate the notes.

Hit your key and the rising filter cutoff also affects the LFO because

it is raising the cutoff. And you get that gated set of notes rising and falling.

Cool effect. I use it a lot.

Square waves are very handy in small doses too.

A teeny fast square modulation gets you all kinds of fun. Not to mention audio rate stuff.

John.

The Clavinet part is bad ass and is really out front in the mix. Jupiter should have something close to the recording.

I was breaking this down today before this post.

I was shocked when I realized this was a clav and not a bass line after 35 years.

Bad ass is an understatement!

On to the Star rider synth lead

The Clavinet part is bad ass and is really out front in the mix. Jupiter should have something close to the recording.

I was breaking this down today before this post.

I was shocked when I realized this was a clav and not a bass line after 35 years.

Bad ass is an understatement!

On to the Star rider synth lead

Sounds like the Clav is doubling the part that the bass is doing. Did the song years ago and always a crowd pleaser.

Moonglow, please take this post with a grain of salt. I played this song when it was current, 1977/1978, I was still in High School. I did the "filter sweep" using the "Synthaslalom" feature on my Farfisa VIP 400. I then switched to the organ to play the sax solo, as we were a 5 piece band without any horns. Nail the vocals and you will be fighting off the young ladies. Trust me on this. :cool:
:nopity:

Wow, excellent timing! I was just putting this song back into the set list for this weekend!

I have a version of it on the kronos(2) (that I modified from something else), I could send it to you, if you'd like.

Nail the vocals and you will be fighting off the young ladies. Trust me on this. :cool:

"Daaayyyum, Heather - he's nailed the square wave modulation with the simultaneous slow filter sweep! I know who I'M going home with tonight...."

Nail the vocals and you will be fighting off the young ladies. Trust me on this. :cool:

"Daaayyyum, Heather - he's nailed the square wave modulation with the simultaneous slow filter sweep! I know who I'M going home with tonight...."

Haha, somehow this never happened to me. I have the feeling that we have the tendency to set wrong priorities......

Rudy

laughcat.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The Clavinet part is bad ass and is really out front in the mix.
It's amazing that I'm hearing none of that.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The original (1977) version has the synth sweep/effect all by itself on the right channel, so I just sampled it. (This was in the late 80's when all I had was a DX7 and Korg Polysix, which could not get that sound).

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

With the Kronos you could easily assign a free running triangle LFO to filter sweep, AND a BPM synced square LFO to amp and use tap tempo to keep it at live band tempo. That's most likely how I would do it. Either that or foot pedal for filter sweep. I'd use AL-1

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This will not help at all, but I do the tune in two different bands I gig with, and for that part I use a patch on my Fantom X7 called Blue Light, on the Roland SR-07 Ultimate Keys expansion card. I just hit a low D, C, D along with the guitar player's changing chords. I can turn the Tempo knob on the synth to fine-tune the speed of the pulsing effect but even without doing that, it works okay.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

After listening to it more closely, I wouldn't use LFO for the filter sweep because it's got a definite rise on attach, and then fall on the note change - so I'd use an EG but set it to Mono-Legato so you trigger the rise on the first note-on, but keep the EG from retriggering by playing legato.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah my solution (rompler patch) is bad for that reason - when I change notes, it re-starts the filter sweep from the same starting point instead of continuing to evolve continuously. Wonder if I could make it more authentic by playing with the resonance knob manually while it goes.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Thanks to all for the tips, this will definitely get me started in the right direction, although I will report back if/when (most likely when) I run into problems. Keeping the filter sweep continuous when the note changes (as J. Dan mentioned) may exceed my synthesis capacities.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Keeping the filter sweep continuous when the note changes (as J. Dan mentioned) may exceed my synthesis capacities.

Very easy in the Kronos in AL-1. Program it setting the EG assigned to filter cutoff so that the sweep sounds right (up and down) while just holding the same note instead of changing it (if that makes sense - just hold the note down and get the time right for the sweep forgetting the note change). Now on the main page where you set tuning, mono/poly, etc.... set to "mono Legato". Done. Play the notes legato and the EG will not re-trigger unless you pick up your finger before hitting the next note.

Dan

:roll:

:nopity:

Archived