Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads Up Kronos Users

bennyray

I am sure some of you probably already done this but if you are interested they are some free DX-7 sounds that are free on the Korg Forum site that a member posted and have already been converted to Mod-7. They sound really good. Just passing along info. Tons of sounds

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At one point waaaay back in the day I had access to literally thousands of DX7 patches. I couldn't program that thing to save my life, other than accidentally creating some crazy sounds from a perfectly nice-sounding starting patch :)

What I remember the most is that those patches were more on the "experimental" side compared to the ones that came standard. FM synthesis is capable of some really wild sounds.

With my pc3 having issues, this is just making me want a Kronos more as a do-everything board...

> With my pc3 having issues, this is just making me want a Kronos more as a do-everything board...

That's why I bought my Kronos, but I had to purchase yet another board for traveling. I just don't trust the joystick and big LCD screen for traveling. I got a Kross and heck it does the job!

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

> With my pc3 having issues, this is just making me want a Kronos more as a do-everything board...

That's why I bought my Kronos, but I had to purchase yet another board for traveling. I just don't trust the joystick and big LCD screen for traveling. I got a Kross and heck it does the job!

Sounds conflicted. Maybe sell your Kronos ? You don't trust it for gigs

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Forgive my ignorance, but how does the MOD-7 work on the Kronos in regards to multi-timbrality (not sure if thats a word). Basically what I want to know is if you can layer 3-4 MOD-7 sounds together or layer a MOD-7 sound with multiple sounds from other engines.

Sure. No problem. The 2 main sound structure limitations involve the HD-1 engine ( the sample based engine).

There are 9 sound engines. In fact a program can consist of 2 non HD1 sounds or 2 HD-1 sounds. Limitation 1 you can't mix EXi and HD-1 at the program level. Limitation 2 program banks have to contain either all EXi programs or all HD-1 sounds. I don't know why.

Combis you can bring everything together. Bringing multiple instances of the same exact program is common either to layer octaves or create 4ths or 5ths or slightly detune them and make them bigger.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When you think about it, it's cool. A single program can have 2 different MOD-7 sounds. A combi can pull in multiple programs. This thing smokes the DX-1 :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Very nice. Other than FX, I don't find a "standalone" FM sounds meaty enough, but when layered with other FM sounds, or better yet sounds from another engine type things can get interesting.

I know some people hate FM. It's hard to program and it was responsible for so many cheesy 80's sounds, but I think it's one of the most interesting forms of synthesis. I'm glad it's being kept alive in the Kronos, Volca FM, numerous softsynths and now FM-X with the Montage.

FYI, Korg's FM implementation is arguably the most advanced in hardware available today.

The MOD-7 is a powerful, semi-modular synthesizer, combining Variable Phase Modulation (VPM), waveshaping, ring modulation, PCM sample playback, and subtractive synthesis.

Exceptionally versatile, the MOD-7 produces everything from classic FM keyboards and bells to rhythmic soundscapes, from cut-through-the-mix synth basses to sparkling, epic pads.

Features include:

Six VPM Oscillators. Each can be used as a sine, saw, triangle, square, or waveshaping oscillator with FM and ring modulation,

or as a waveshaping and/or ring mod processor for other signals.

101 different waveshaping tables, whose response can be controlled via modulatable drive and offset.

A PCM sample playback oscillator using Korgs ultra-low-aliasing PCM technology, as first introduced in the HD-1. This supports four-way velocity-switching between any mono ROM, EXs, or RAM samples.

Dual multi-mode resonant filters (including Korgs Multi Filter, as first introduced in the AL-1).

Three patchable, modulatable 2-in, 1-out mixers for combining and scaling audio signals.

Noise generator with dedicated filter and saturation.

Live audio input.

Patch Panel allows free connection of all components, including the six VPM Oscillators, PCM oscillator, noise generator, real-time audio input, three modulatable mixers, and two filters.

Connections can include multiple cables from a single output, hybrid serial/parallel routings, and feedback paths.

Vast sample-mangling capabilities, with incredible flexibility and power. Use samples as FM modulators, and create incredibly rich processing environments combining multiple stages of filtering,

waveshaping, and ring modulation, patched together however youd like.

Up to 52 voices of polyphony.

Import classic FM sounds from the DX7.

Four per-voice LFOs, ten re-triggerable EGs, nine key-tracking generators, eight AMS mixers, and a per-voice step sequencer.

Access to all standard EXi Program features, including the Common LFO, Common Step Sequencer, Key Track 1 & 2, KARMA, EQ, and effectsas well as layering with any other EXi (including two MOD-7s together, for 12 VPM oscillators!)

Busch.

I've got the 40 original presets from the DX5 loaded and programmed partially. Unfortunately, I need a DX5 in order to get the "common" parameters such as panning, layering. I'm trying to recreate the DX5 programs perfectly, but you need more than the two individual patches for each program. Have been trying to find one to rent or buy/flip, but they're rare.

There's no reason you couldn't program the factory DX5, DX7II dual programs in the Kronos with great precision.

Busch.

MOD-7 sounds like it is a monster in so many ways. When using dual MOD-7 patches in the Kronos, does it tie up the CPU...and what is the typical MOD-7 polyphony in dual mode and what is left for the other engines?

Regarding your DX5 search, there's a pricey one that's been for grabs for a while on Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/5689471598.html

MOD-7 sounds like it is a monster in so many ways.

Yes it does! :)

So I am understanding this right: The MOD-7 is a FM synth engine plus a ROMpler, sample manipulation, and a few other tricks?

Your DX-1 / DX-5 patch idea is pretty clever and should work on the Montage too - you just need to find the two "source' patches and then adjust the "common" parameters to taste.

It's a bit of a stretch to call MOD-7 a ROMpler... you can use a PCM oscillator and route it through any of the available paths. Use it as a modulator for another oscillator/waveform, or route it through a filter and envelopes etc to produce a tone. But the ROMpler aspect as nowhere near as deep as the HD-1 engine, for example.

But without a doubt it is a significantly more powerful engine than most FM implementations, and certainly gives VAST a run for the money. It's deep, and still relatively unexploited.

Jerry

Archived