Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Technology that is picking your pocket

Song80s

We have a 1996 Ford Bronco that we bought in 2000 that is still running great, about to turn 271,000 miles.

Roland E-16 from 1993 still playing great.

Onkyo stereo receiver for the entertainment center purchased in 1998 still doing great.

:)

I am removing " Car salesperson/Electronics salesperson in Idaho " from the list of " Future careers for Children " ;)

Hey, we got potatoes galore and breweries are starting to edge in. If they legalize marijuana like two of our bordering states have done, kids could get degrees in:

Spuds, suds and buds

:puff:

you have a flair for marketing. Maybe I should move to Idaho.

After seeing the prior post about greedy evil dentists, I will get an advanced degree in

Spuds, suds, buds and gums ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After seeing the prior post about greedy evil dentists, I will get an advanced degree in

And drive this. :laugh:

http://media.syracuse.com/health_impact/photo/mouthmobilejpg-0cf501fb77390c3b.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

And drive this. :laugh:

http://media.syracuse.com/health_impact/photo/mouthmobilejpg-0cf501fb77390c3b.jpg

Chew, Slurp, Smoke and Let 'em Rot

We'll be there for you before they fall out :lol:

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Think of over engineered things like for example I have a Kirby vacuum. It's my grandmothers and other than a few parts it's build like a tank.

My team lead still has his Kirby that was given to him 30 years ago when he was working as a Kirby as a door-to-door sales rep.

Still have my grandmother's Kirby, and my aunt's in case I need parts. They are built like tanks!

I grew up with a Kirby, then my mom gave it to me. I used it for years. Great vacuum. I was always suspicious that Consumer Reports never included Kirbys in their vacuum cleaner ratings throughout the 1980s and 1990s. They do now, but they are kind of dismissive of them due to their cost and weight.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Re: printers -- in the late 1990s I had a nice six-color HP inkjet, that I used semi-frequently. We lived deep in the sticks, and so we ran out of ink before we refilled it at some $60 a set.

So I'm printing on diminishing 9-month old ink, and the print head starts going "clank, clank" -- not good. Being a professional techie, I call HP and talk to an engineer, who tells me that the "clank" is the sound of the motor warping -- and permanently damaging -- the print head's metal track. I asked how that could be. He answered, "You haven't bought ink in a while, have you?" I confirmed that. "The power supply is engineered so that it all works right as long as it is easy to pump ink. Once you run out, the (otherwise unrelated) stepper motors start damaging the track irreperably."

In short, if I didn't regularly buy ink, the printer was programmed to destroy itself.

Re: coffee -- I grind recently-roasted beans and pour 190 degree (F) water over the grounds in a beautiful Chemex pot. The glass is quite inert. The pricey ten-cent paper filters are the "blades" to their relatively inexpensive "razor."

http://knowyourgrinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/chemex.jpg

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Re: printers -- in the late 1990s I had a nice six-color HP inkjet, that I used semi-frequently. We lived deep in the sticks, and so we ran out of ink before we refilled it at some $60 a set.

So I'm printing on diminishing 9-month old ink, and the print head starts going "clank, clank" -- not good. Being a professional techie, I call HP and talk to an engineer, who tells me that the "clank" is the sound of the motor warping -- and permanently damaging -- the print head's metal track. I asked how that could be. He answered, "You haven't bought ink in a while, have you?" I confirmed that. "The power supply is engineered so that it all works right as long as it is easy to pump ink. Once you run out, the (otherwise unrelated) stepper motors start damaging the track irreperably."

In short, if I didn't regularly buy ink, the printer was programmed to destroy itself.

Re: coffee -- I grind recently-roasted beans and pour 190 degree (F) water over the grounds in a beautiful Chemex pot. The glass is quite inert. The pricey ten-cent paper filters are the "blades" to their relatively inexpensive "razor."

http://knowyourgrinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/chemex.jpg

That's very cool. How long does it take to make a full pot? I see that the website lists a 13 cup (cup=5oz) for $110.

What happens if you just use the plain ones?

http://www.melitta.com/portal/pics/MUSA/white_and_bamboo_loose_filters.png

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived