Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple stereo question

earl the pearl

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just keep in mind that you won't be monitoring in stereo if you have one EV ZLX 12. Also, your send to FOH (front of house) won't be in stereo either since you are summing the two inputs on the EV ZLX 12 and feeding them (FOH) via a single XLR cable.

There are a lot of guys that feel it's better for the audience to run in mono anyway.

EV says the XLR out is parallel wired - so this should work fine. If you or FOH aren't happy with the quality of the signal (either level or noise) then you can try going to a direct box first then to the EV for your monitor and from the DI box to FOH without using the XLR out on the EV.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Does this work? Nord E5D stereo into EV ZLX 12 out by XLR to mains board? Usually play small to mid clubs and I'm doing mostly rhythm type comping with a few short leads.
The title of the subject is 'simple stereo question'. If you are looking to get stereo out of either the ZLX or FOH, no. The ZLX will sum stereo to mono so I'm not sure why you would bother to send stereo into the ZLX that is only going to sum (potentially not well) the two inputs to mono.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The ZLX will sum stereo to mono so I'm not sure why you would bother to send stereo into the ZLX that is only going to sum (potentially not well) the two inputs to mono.

Looking at the back panel of the E5D, they don't seem to have a "L/MONO" and "R" output just plain left & right. So to get both channels into a mono stream you'd need to connect two cables to the two inputs of the EV. Still, as I said above, nobody is going to hear any kind of stereo, either on stage or FOH. I would think that's pretty obvious though.

Looks right to me, but the mixer seems unnecessary if only using one keyboard and not sub mixing multiple keyboards. If the Nord is your only board, perhaps DIs would be more appropriate.

I personally like to use a mixer for a few reasons but this is just probably some of my crazy OCD things.

1. I like the extra gain stage just in case. This may be a ZXA1 thing.

2. I like to to be able to turn up my speakers in hands reach of the bench.

3. A big reason, I use a mixer with 2 buses like a Yamaha MG102c so I can go to the FOH on a separate send than the stage monitor so I can adjust my monitor level without changing the feed to the PA without having to stoop over to fiddle with the speaker.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Looks right to me, but the mixer seems unnecessary if only using one keyboard and not sub mixing multiple keyboards. If the Nord is your only board, perhaps DIs would be more appropriate.

I personally like to use a mixer for a few reasons but this is just probably some of my crazy OCD things.

1. I like the extra gain stage just in case. This may be a ZXA1 thing.

2. I like to to be able to turn up my speakers in hands reach of the bench.

3. A big reason, I use a mixer with 2 buses like a Yamaha MG102c so I can go to the FOH on a separate send than the stage monitor so I can adjust my monitor level without changing the feed to the PA without having to stoop over to fiddle with the speaker.

4. So you can plug in a mic and say "Attention K-Mart Shoppers....."

Where in the OP's post is any mention of a mixer?

If you want FOH to get stereo signals, maybe run L and R out of your nord into a stereo DI (Like Radial Pro D2), then take the two thru lines to your EV. EV will sum them, so can't say what you get from stereo patches at your monitor. But FOH will get your clean separate L R signals.

For me I just need to hear what I'm doing, this is my general setup in a lot of situations (ELX112P vs your ZLX). I'm more concerned that FOH is giving something better to the audience. Some gigs are all synth and stereo isn't much of an add. One band is a lot of AP and that one I request FOH stereo. And I confess the summed AP in my monitor doesn't sound all that great.

Others here get inspiration hence play better if they hear their stereo monitored. So they want to hear their stereo. That's a second PPA or some wily blooming box some guy posted a comment about on a different thread. Ymmv, it's up to you what you want to accomplish

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Where in the OP's post is any mention of a mixer?

For some reason, I was reading EV and thinking older Mackie VLZ mixers.

It was early, pre-coffee. My bad.

MotiDave's post = YES.

Benefits:

FOH gets stereo signal (if they choose to use it) with the XLR outputs that also can have AC/DC isolation from your rig (in case they DO put phantom power 48vdc on the lines - some mixing boards are all or nothing). This reduces the chance of your speaker and/or rig being damaged.

You get an isolated feed to your speaker, just need 1/4" to XLR (maybe - not sure if the EV speaker has the universal connectors)

The Radial Pro D2 is compact, very sturdy/well built, a one-time purchase, and should last for decades. It will prove useful SOMEWHERE if for nothing other than to get rid of hum and noise from ground loops. I personally bought one of these, and always carry it to any new venue (I have DIs at church in my rig that stay there).

A mixer is not needed unless your board does not produce enough signal to be amplified either for FOH or your monitor. If you begin using two keyboards, the mixer becomes needed at that time.

Now, if you want to monitor yourself in stereo as well as provide a FOH feed, you will need two speakers (or the SpaceStation amp that is small and produces the stereo effect).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived