Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fleeceBay (rant)

jimkost2002

Yeah the other part about that us no one wants to sell something at a significantly lower price unless money doesn't mean anything to you. With these boards you should always think about residual unless that is not important to you.

Not so.

Money is certainly important, but I would accept selling something here at a, say, 15-20% reduction to a guy like you rather than take my chances on an 'open' market if I couldn't sell it locally cash and carry. I would know that you are not in it to make a quick buck (eg, return me a defective board), and I would know that you had done your research on the board before buying it and not have buyer's remorse and find some way to return it or ding my reputation. There are no such reassurances on eBay...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A music store outside of Louisville set up a consignment shop. They started out charging 25% then bumped it to 40. At the end they tried charging 50% before closing it down.

Most art galleries charge the artist 50% commission on a sale. Now that's fleecing. Imagine all the work that goes into creating the art, then paying for matting and framing, hauling the piece(s) to the gallery and getting a measly 50% of the sale?

One of my friends converted his garage into a studio when he retired. He painted with acrylics most of the time but created some beautiful digital images as well. He bought a really nice large-format inkjet printer... quite an investment, and he exhibited in some prestigious shows, but the financial return was pathetic.

Galleries are users. :mad:

Not necessarily. Long standing reputable galleries have a full roster of permanent artists. Some of these artists have been on the roster for 20 plus years. New artists have to wait till one of the existing artists retires or dies to get on the roster. Exhibiting at a reputable gallery gives the artist credibility and exposure to folk who buy art. If wasn't a win/win the artists would walk.

If nothing sells the gallery gets 50%, or whatever their cut is, of nothing. The gallery still has to pay for rent, wages, catalogue and opening night.

I don't see any parallel between reputable galleries and eBay. I have yet to get a free glass of sparkling from eBay.

Artists who don't like the gallery business model can always list their art on eBay and see how that goes.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Isn't eBay a voluntary participation business model? If folk have a better option for their personal time-space continuum, more power to ya.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

You are right but I remember in the early 2000's it was a lot more fun to use E-bay. One thing it did was level the playing field. I remember one of the top Lionel Train collectors in the US coming to my moms house and telling me how the internet changed things. Just because you thought you had something that was rare or worth a lot didn't mean you did. He explained a lot of post war trains were mass produced and not worth much...which is what I had at the time. All of a sudden people who thought their collectors items were worth a lot were disappointed to find out what they had was not really all that rare. I think the same can be said for a lot of the gear we all like. I bet E-bay knows this to some extent.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

. All of a sudden people who thought their collectors items were worth a lot were disappointed to find out what they had was not really all that rare. I think the same can be said for a lot of the gear we all like. I bet E-bay knows this to some extent.

This is truth. Many collectors, hoarding their stuff for decades, summarily rushed to eBay/Amazon to cash in their supposed high prices.

Barbie doll collectors are a good example.

Then the collectors finally realized there was insufficient demand for all the supply.

result: no sale, or selling the barbie at a fraction of 'perceived ' value.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yeah the other part about that us no one wants to sell something at a significantly lower price unless money doesn't mean anything to you. With these boards you should always think about residual unless that is not important to you.

Not so.

Money is certainly important, but I would accept selling something here at a, say, 15-20% reduction to a guy like you rather than take my chances on an 'open' market if I couldn't sell it locally cash and carry. I would know that you are not in it to make a quick buck (eg, return me a defective board), and I would know that you had done your research on the board before buying it and not have buyer's remorse and find some way to return it or ding my reputation. There are no such reassurances on eBay...

As a seller on Ebay, you can set buyer preferences so that people without any feedback or even negative feedback are prohibited from bidding on your auctions. Fortunately I haven't had any bad experiences from buyers on Ebay so far, just a couple that had no clue what they were purchasing and canceled after they had paid for the item.

I've got a business/accounting background so I'm all about getting the best price for my gear while also keeping expenses to a minimum.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I don't see any parallel between reputable galleries and eBay. I have yet to get a free glass of sparkling from eBay.

You're right... I was just ranting. :crazy:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

most posts are rants :lol:

[70's Songwriter]

most posts are rants

Yes, and we are all so good at it. I was just practicing. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

most posts are rants

Yes, and we are all so good at it. I was just practicing. :laugh:

I thought you were warming up. I am due for a good 3 day rant about women :)

[70's Songwriter]

Archived