Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi help! notes are sustaining!

AA1996

So recently just got booked for a tour to Brazil and they just provided me with two crackling midi controllers ones and m audio axiom pro 61 and the other is just a regular and M audio axiom. I brought my role in Integra seven going into two amplifiers and occasionally on a couple songs notes started sustaining. It was quite annoying and it never really experienced this problem before does anybody know what this could be and how he could be prevented any help much appreciated thank you!!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually mean note on message got there, not off message did not. So either that controller didn't send it or the Integra 7 didn't receive it.

Sure bad cable is possible. Or interrupted messages for some reason. I'm inclined to think that something is up with the Axiom controller. Someone was describing recently that they had a Korg K61 that wasn't sending MIDI out the MIDI port unless it was connected to dedicated power. USB power was insufficient to power the 5pin MIDI out. Maybe the MAudio Axiom as well would be more reliable on the 9volt Adapter.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Sometimes, if you are playing both keyboards at the same time and they are both going to the same sound engine you might be sending the same note message ie "C5 note on" if you play a C5 on both keyboards at the same moment on the same midi channel. The sound engine might get confused and not recognize the "note off" message from one of the boards. If both boards are sending in midi channel 1 try putting one of them on midi channel 2. I used to get stuck notes in reaper when using 2 boards. I put the boards on separate midi channels and it seems like that fixed it. At least so far.

FunMachine.

It is mandatory that when more than one controller is being used that they send on different channels, for example the Pro on Channel 1 and the Axiom on Channel 2.

This applies for the whole signal path, into to the midi merge and from the midi merge into the Integra. I am not familiar with Integra and assume that you are using the midi merge because the Integra only supports one input device.

Both Axioms have a 'Panic' feature, this sends global note off if you have a stuck note. Never needed myself but I have the button combination highlighted with red tape on my controller.

Download the manuals for each to find out how to set one to send on channel 1 and the other on channel 2.

The 'panic' feature is clearly marked on my 2nd Gen Axiom - 'Prog' + 'Chan' buttons.

That might also provide a clue on where to go set Channel transmit.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I have been using two daisy-chained MIDI controllers with a separate synth module for 10 years. One of my MIDI controllers is a Roland footpedal controller, which has the MIDI In and Out, and by default it transmits on MIDI channel 2. Whenever I get a note sustain problem, even just once, I throw out the offending MIDI cable.

Your MIDI merge box is effectively part of your MIDI cable.

I read that the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 has "MIDI Out and MIDI In ports for extended external connectivity", and I can see pictures that show 2 traditional MIDI ports on the back, for In and Out. I believe your other Axiom also has at least one standard MIDI out. So you should be able to daisy chain your two MIDI controllers, without using a merge box. Based on my experience of MIDI daisy chain working, if I were in your shoes I would dump the MIDI merge box, use daisy-chaining with traditional MIDI cables, and set up one of your MIDI controllers to always transmit on a channel other than 1.

I had one keyboard to channel 1 and the other to channel 2.

Channel 1: bass

Channel 2: organ

It wasn't doing this problem tante night before.

I used a Yamaha moxf6 on top and a Korg tr 76 on the bottom. Both worked perfectly. For some reason, the m audio didn't work correctly.

From a quick reading of both Axiom manuals, the midi input ports don't merge to the outputs.

I found this text in the Axiom Pro User Guide (page 22/75 of the PDF):

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

MIDI Input sources (as seen in your music software)

(....)

Axiom Pro 61 4 MIDI In

This corresponds to the hardware MIDI Input port on the back of the keyboard.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Axiom Pro doc does not say "merge", but I would believe that if a person used this function above, they would also be able to send MIDI signals from pressing keys on their Axiom Pro at the same time as while using the external keyboard that was connected to the MIDI in on the Axiom Pro.

I also found this text in the Axiom 25/49/61 User Guide on page 8/24 (the M-Audio site said this doc was for "2nd Gen", so I don't know if this is the same device the OP owns):

+++++++++++++

MIDI In Port This standard 5-pin MIDI connector receives data from any MIDI compatible device such as a synthesizer or drum machine.

This port also allows you to use Axiom as a MIDI interface to send MIDI data from external hardware to your DAW. In this instance, the 3rd USB MIDI input should be selected from those available in the DAW preferences.

+++++++++++++

I think this would be a case of the MIDI signals from the second keyboard being passed through the Axiom, where the second keyboard was configured to transmit data on a different MIDI channel than the Axiom.

I read that the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 has "MIDI Out and MIDI In ports for extended external connectivity", and I can see pictures that show 2 traditional MIDI ports on the back, for In and Out. I believe your other Axiom also has at least one standard MIDI out. So you should be able to daisy chain your two MIDI controllers, without using a merge box.

No you shouldn't be able to not unless the keyboard has the ability to merge the midi input with it's own midi data and send everything out its midi output port. If that was the case, I'm sure it would have been detailed in the manual but I didn't see it. Also, your post above this one references the M-Audio's midi in ports being seen as "input sources in your midi software." AFAIK the OP is trying to directly control a hardware module (Integra 7) with the two controllers - there is no midi software (or computer) in this mix.

I am suggesting that the M-Audio keyboards might have the same capability I have been using in my Roland PK5a footpedal MIDI controller, which is not documented in its manual either.

AA1996: if you have two traditional MIDI cables, give the daisy-chaining method a try: Use "MIDI cable 1" to connect to the MIDI OUT of MAudio-keyboard-1, and connect the other end of "MIDI cable 1" to the MIDI IN of MAudio-keyboard-2. Use "MIDI cable 2" to connect from the MIDI OUT of MAudio-keyboard-2 to the MIDI IN of your Integra synth. If you already have your two MAudio keyboards (MIDI controllers) set up to transmit separately on MIDI channels 1 and 2, this should be an easy test. If pressing keys on either keyboards is able to cause the Integra to create sounds, then you will know the MIDI connectivity works, without using the separate Merge box.

If the MIDI connectivity works, but you still get unwanted note sustains, then you probably have a bad MIDI cable, and it is possible that the merge box was never to blame.

I am suggesting that the M-Audio keyboards might have the same capability I have been using in my Roland PK5a footpedal MIDI controller, which is not documented in its manual either.

Page 13 of the PK-5A manual:

Note: The messages received via MIDI IN are mixed (merged) with the PK-5As MIDI messages and trans- mitted via MIDI OUT (Soft Thru function).

Use "MIDI cable 2" to connect from the MIDI OUT of MAudio-keyboard-2 to the MIDI IN of your Integra synth. If you already have your two MAudio keyboards (MIDI controllers) set up to transmit separately on MIDI channels 1 and 2, this should be an easy test. If pressing keys on either keyboards is able to cause the Integra to create sounds, then you will know the MIDI connectivity works, without using the separate Merge box.

If I read and understand correctly - not true. Playing MAudio-keyboard 2 will cause the Integra to sound on whatever channel is transmitted to it. This has nothing to do with any merge function. Only if it responds to notes played on MAudio-keyboard 1 will it prove any kind of merge function.

MIDI pedals do not typically have a sound source. The only reason for providing a midi in would be if there was some software that talked to the unit or for the purpose of MIDI merge. It definitely sounds like an oversight that they did not document this. However I seriously doubt the MAudio controllers have this capability and they forgot to document it. But like you implied, easy enough to prove.

Page 13 of the PK-5A manual:

Note: The messages received via MIDI IN are mixed (merged) with the PK-5As MIDI messages and trans- mitted via MIDI OUT (Soft Thru function).

Damn - beat me to it. :thu:

To clarify the Axiom midi merge functionality is only available if the USB connection is used.

The Axiom 5 pin midi out only sends midi data from the Axiom itself.

As the Integra only supports 5 pin midi then a midi merge box is required to connect 2 Axioms to the Integra with 5 pin midi.

If the Integra supported midi IN over USB then the Master Axiom could be used as a midi merge device.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived