Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gregg Allman

Pigmeat

One of my favorite ABB songs for laid-back tasteful B3 is "Dreams":

A band I played with a few weeks ago covered "Dreams". In prepping for the gig, I listened for the first time in perhaps 10 years to the song and it reminded of just how subtle and tone-rich Greg's playing is. Needless to say his vocals are incredible on the song.

Hopefully Greg makes it through his latest health battle.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When i used to see these guys back in the early 70's this is what they would start they concerts off with. In fact, this medley is the first song I ever heard the Allmans perform. I was hooked!

[video:youtube]

Always been one of my favorite songs by them. The band I was in for a while did that combination, and I had the pleasure of singing it. The tone that he got for Dreams has always been a favorite of mine, and kind of my go-to tone.

In that band I used an XB-2 through a Pro3TM, with a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer, a Crown XLS 802 power amp, a pair of Peavey 15" two-way cabinets in stereo. Ran the mike from the Pro3TM into one channel, and the simulated lows in stereo. Gave me a nice big sound out of that rig. My Hammond was really important to that band, as we did songs like Whiter Shade of Pale, and Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge version).

I saw the news about Gregg's health. I wish him the best. I'm not ready to lose ANOTHER of my musical heroes.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Got in an argument the other night when another keyboard player said that Gregg was a "terrible keyboard player". I referred him to this thread.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived