Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is turn signal ' technology ' standard with most cars ?

Song80s

I have heard of cars that drive themselves so the passenger can watch a video, etc.

But it appears that turn signals no longer work for most current cars.

My 2009 Honda has turn signals, and I use them frequently, that is left or right , before turning and/or changing lanes.

Was there a virus that eliminated car turn signals ? Or some kind of massive recall for defective turn signals ?

I am thinking my turn signals are rare, or collectible. Maybe I should sell them on eBay ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe they're even still legal. How are you supposed to text safely with all that clicking and flashing going on on the dashboard? However, I will admit that they are useful in reminding elderly drivers which direction they last turned in, fifteen or twenty minutes ago.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I've never seen one used on a BMW. I think they were the first to eliminate them.

Busch.

I think you are right. My wife has a 2 yr old Mini Cooper, also made by BMW.

We brought it in for its first $10,000 service to the dealer. The mechanic told my wife he could remove the L/R turn signal device. It is 1 less thing that would break, he says.

He explained she should d/l the "turn signal app " from the BMW store. It will blue tooth to her key fob and her smart phone.

This is very confusing to say the least.

[70's Songwriter]

I can't believe they're even still legal. How are you supposed to text safely with all that clicking and flashing going on on the dashboard? However, I will admit that they are useful in reminding elderly drivers which direction they last turned in, fifteen or twenty minutes ago.

Not nice to pick on seniors .

I read a book by a well known futurist. He said in 30 yrs, everybody who turns 50, will be prohibited from cars and all you could have is a golf cart vehicle with a 5 MPH speed limit.

[70's Songwriter]

Apparently trucks still have them...saw a bumper sticker on a semi that said:

"Blinkey Things Means Turning".

That also proves a point about generational communication confusion.

Blinkey is slang for spoiled food.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blinkey

So that truck driver was suggesting that the food in his truck is spoiled .

How can we possibly solve the problems with American english ??? ;)

[70's Songwriter]

I forgot to mention this in my O/p.

at 4 way stop signs , I noticed other drivers who wanted to turn, wave their smart phones around and yell at their windshields .

something tells me that the ' turn signal app ' is not working for all smart phones.

[70's Songwriter]

Turn signal? I ain't got time for that!

distracted_driving.jpg

I am on the phone with an important client !

And that kid on the bike made me squeeze the mustard on my suit !

Arrgghh. Whats wrong with this country ????

[70's Songwriter]

I was going to joke that here in California, when an old Asian lady buys a car, the dealer is mandated by state law to swap out the functioning turn signal for one that only stays on continually in the fast lane.

But even though I'm Chinese, that would have been racist.

So I didn't say it.

Man, I dodged a bullet there. Good thing I have self-discipline and no one else hears my inner monologue.

I was going to joke that here in California, when an old Asian lady buys a car, the dealer is mandated by state law to swap out the functioning turn signal for one that only stays on continually in the fast lane.

But even though I'm Chinese, that would have been racist.

So I didn't say it.

Man, I dodged a bullet there. Good thing I have self-discipline and no one else hears my inner monologue.

Whew, close 'trifecta ' there, Tim ( female , asian, senior ) ;)

[70's Songwriter]

In completely unrelated news, I just got back from 5 days in St. Helena (NorCal Wine Country, for those unfamiliar).

You know that soul food staple, fried chicken and waffles? It's big in Oakland.

I just had the wine country version. French duck confit on a Belgian waffle with tart cherry compote. Oh man. If I close my eyes I can almost taste it all over again. But people are watching me lick my lips with my eyes closed and rub up against the table. The last time this happened I ended up with a restraining order.

I've never seen one used on a BMW. I think they were the first to eliminate them.

Busch.

I thought that was just because they were on the 'wrong' side of the wheel in RHD markets and the drivers were not keyboard players who could play with both hands.

Here it moved on 5 years ago to Golf GTI's.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

In Florida you don't have to use signals and there are no vehicle inspections either.WTF!

I been to Florida. You don't have to drive on the correct side of the road, either. Everyone has their own version of rules

[70's Songwriter]

In completely unrelated news, I just got back from 5 days in St. Helena (NorCal Wine Country, for those unfamiliar).

You know that soul food staple, fried chicken and waffles? It's big in Oakland.

I just had the wine country version. French duck confit on a Belgian waffle with tart cherry compote. Oh man. If I close my eyes I can almost taste it all over again. But people are watching me lick my lips with my eyes closed and rub up against the table. The last time this happened I ended up with a restraining order.

Only us food and wine snobs ' know ' what CIA stands for ;)

http://www.ciachef.edu/cia-california/

[70's Songwriter]

CA requires drivers who want to talk on their cell phones to do so hands-free--e.g., blue-toothed into car speakers, carried out via headset, or else on good old-fashioned speakerphone. My current favorite people on the planet are those who set their phone to speaker...and then hold it in their hand, right near their face.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

CA requires drivers who want to talk on their cell phones to do so hands-free--e.g., blue-toothed into car speakers, carried out via headset, or else on good old-fashioned speakerphone. My current favorite people on the planet are those who set their phone to speaker...and then hold it in their hand, right near their face.

thats a close 2nd.

Here's my fav;

The blue toothed smart phone species in their cars, holding their phones, might be doing selfies, while eating a turkey sandwich and driving.

Its not against the law to steer using your knees.

Its impressive multi tasking while on our freeways.

[70's Songwriter]

Ohhhh - that's what that ticking was. Whew. I thought there was a bomb in my car.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ohhhh - that's what that ticking was. Whew. I thought there was a bomb in my car.

:)

could be crickets

[70's Songwriter]

Its impressive multi tasking while on our freeways.

Maybe that's what caused the serious accident I saw yesterday on Rt. 30. I was driving home in the late afternoon--really gorgeous day by the way. Anyway, I hadn't been on the freeway very long when suddenly a pickup truck in front of me (in the right lane) crashed into a large work van, slid sideways, flipped into the air and came down on its wheels... with debris flying through the air.

I slammed on my brakes, just praying I wouldn't be rear-ended. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic behind me, so I just sat there looking at the wreck. A passenger got out of the pickup truck but the driver just sat there. I have no idea if he was OK. Several people pulled over and were calling for help. Being in the center lane, I figured it wasn't good to block traffic so I drove off, trying to avoid the debris on the highway.

Thing is, everything happened so fast--it seemed surreal. Obviously I was a bit shaken and it took a few minutes for my heart to stop racing. I was happy when I exited the freeway.

:pop:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived