Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is turn signal ' technology ' standard with most cars ?

Song80s

On the topic of driver distraction, I am amazed at how common it has become to have important functions *only* controllable via touch screen - for example climate control and air conditioning, which can matter for defrosting your windshield. Traditional dashboard control design puts buttons or sliders which can be operated by a driver without removing their eyes from the road, or with only a very quick glance away from the road.

They are going to have to pry my 2001 Passat out of my cold dead hands.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its impressive multi tasking while on our freeways.

Maybe that's what caused the serious accident I saw yesterday on Rt. 30. I was driving home in the late afternoon--really gorgeous day by the way. Anyway, I hadn't been on the freeway very long when suddenly a pickup truck in front of me (in the right lane) crashed into a large work van, slid sideways, flipped into the air and came down on its wheels... with debris flying through the air.

I slammed on my brakes, just praying I wouldn't be rear-ended. Fortunately there wasn't much traffic behind me, so I just sat there looking at the wreck. A passenger got out of the pickup truck but the driver just sat there. I have no idea if he was OK. Several people pulled over and were calling for help. Being in the center lane, I figured it wasn't good to block traffic so I drove off, trying to avoid the debris on the highway.

Thing is, everything happened so fast--it seemed surreal. Obviously I was a bit shaken and it took a few minutes for my heart to stop racing. I was happy when I exited the freeway.

:pop:

glad that you are ok. Seeing a serious accident close like that shows that car travel is becoming riskier possibly due to distracted or poor drivers.

California has a rep of having the worst drivers.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

glad that you are ok. Seeing a serious accident close like that shows that car travel is becoming riskier possibly due to distracted or poor drivers.

That's why I make it a practice never to look at the road or other cars when I drive. If I did, I'd probably see accidents all the time, and that can be disturbing and distracting.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

That's why I make it a practice never to look at the road or other cars when I drive. If I did, I'd probably see accidents all the time, and that can be disturbing and distracting.

You are right about that.

Who has time to file emotional pain/suffering lawsuits against drivers that are accident prone ?

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks, Greg. It really was a horrible experience. I hope the driver of the pickup truck was OK. I was searching for info about the accident earlier but couldn't find anything.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'll usually park my pick-up truck quite a distance away from other vehicles. Walking is good exercise. ;)

Without fail, I'll come out to find that someone has parked right next to me with plenty available spaces all around.

Last Saturday, I came out of Home Depot to find a car that wasn't parked next to my truck but behind it.

Now, I've got bags of mulch and rocks to load into the truck bed. I was so tempted to let a few bags fall on the f'n hood of the car. :evil:

With the rocks, the driver of that car would have thought that they were the victim of a hail storm. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'll usually park my pick-up truck quite a distance away from other vehicles. Walking is good exercise. ;)

Without fail, I'll come out to find that someone has parked right next to me with plenty available spaces all around.

Last Saturday, I came out of Home Depot to find a car that wasn't parked next to my truck but behind it.

Now, I've got bags of mulch and rocks to load into the truck bed. I was so tempted to let a few bags fall on the f'n hood of the car. :evil:

With the rocks, the driver of that car would have thought that they were the victim of a hail storm. :laugh::cool:

I am glad we can find a way to get along without resorting to Facebook ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks, Greg. It really was a horrible experience. I hope the driver of the pickup truck was OK. I was searching for info about the accident earlier but couldn't find anything.

I hear you. While not as severe, my car has been rear ended 3 times on California freeways.

There is nothing dumber than a driver in a car , not watching the car in front of him/and or the flow of traffic, then slamming into the car in front of him.

And it is a life threatening experience to pull on to the shoulder of same crowded freeways, to see if the knucklehead is drunk, on drugs or yapping on his cell phone to his boss, etc. It feels like target practice and you are the target

[70's Songwriter]

Don't you hate that?

And something else... people leaving shopping carts all over the parking lot. Such laziness. :facepalm:

While not as severe, my car has been rear ended 3 times on California freeways.

There is nothing dumber than a driver in a car , not watching the car in front of him/and or the flow of traffic, then slamming into the car in front of him.

That happened to me a few years ago during the Christmas season. I was waiting at an intersection in front of a mall and... slam! :mad:

Fortunately, I wasn't hit very hard. There was only some minor scuffing on the bumpers of both cars. The driver who hit me was a very nervous teenager and was quite relieved when he realized the police wouldn't be involved.

On the topic of driver distraction, I am amazed at how common it has become to have important functions *only* controllable via touch screen - for example climate control and air conditioning, which can matter for defrosting your windshield

Not to mention filter frequency,resonance, pulse width, etc etc. Give me one knob per function.

Now, I've got bags of mulch and rocks to load into the truck bed.

I did that to a guy once, but he acted like an ass about it.

Parking on a street with a lot of on-street parking for my piano lesson one day, I park behind a van for a A/C company who is doing work at an apartment near the apartment of my teacher. Because of the driveways, I parked right behind the van. The guy comes out and starts YELLING and CURSING at me. Like, I'm supposed to know he needs to get more crap from his van. I mean, yeah, I guess if I had thought about it, I might have considered the possibility. When I pulled up, there was no one at the van. But none of the lip he gave me was necessary. He could have simply said, "excuse me, I'll need to get stuff from my van so could you move your car or park further away?" and I would have happily obliged.

I also think I should have told him nicely that he just needed to ask nicely and there was no need for him to give me such attitude.

[i'm not saying ProfD's case was similar as the driver of the too close car was obviously nowhere around.]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard of cars that drive themselves so the passenger can watch a video, etc.

But it appears that turn signals no longer work for most current cars.

My 2009 Honda has turn signals, and I use them frequently, that is left or right , before turning and/or changing lanes.

Was there a virus that eliminated car turn signals ? Or some kind of massive recall for defective turn signals ?

I am thinking my turn signals are rare, or collectible. Maybe I should sell them on eBay ?

Shopping for a new car for my wife (her 98 Integra got totaled in June), we've found that some cars have a camera on the right side mirror so that when you turn the right side turn signal on, the display shows you the blind spot.

Here's to hoping this makes more people use their turn signals, at least when they're going right.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Since this is back up top: Have you noticed how many people are using red lights to check their email, FB, etc. I give a count of three then BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

Florida drivers stop at red lights ?

You are lucky.

Here in california they run ( slow down to 30 MPH for example) the stop sign while reading their Facebook.

The real problem is enforcement. The police can't be bothered. They have other serious issues to work on.

[70's Songwriter]

Archived