Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: FlashPlayer hate

David Emm

Google killing Flash by having Chrome default to HTML5 by end of the year
Pretty much the only reason I use Chrome is for sites that *insist* on Adobe Flash. So I guess I won't really need Chrome, then. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or the fact that Google & Apple are done with flash (it's already dropped from just about all mobile builds of sites) will be enough of a push for Adobe to stop spending development hours on updating flash. At which point web devs will finally be able to say they're done with flash too. Old tech that's seen it's time.

Most of my colleagues who are web developers are totally aware of how quickly the technology is developing on the internet and anything they build and works today may not work tomorrow. That's just a part of the programmer's life - Fixing bugs, patching security, keep things functioning - forever.....

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Actually, one of my web sites is HTML-5 and it is compatible with all browsers except anything below 11 on Internet Explorer.

I do have a pop-up that comes up for those users with a link for them to upgrade.

:)

Now we can go back to the good old days without flash, when every website worked differently with every browser. Yay.

Actually having to keep up support for an old tech like flash slows down adoption of standards. As do people who refuse to keep their OS and browsers current. Hugest waste of coding man hours ever is making sure a web site works with a 3, 5, 10 year old browser. Biggest waste of end user time is needing to install what seems like daily patches of flash. As noted above, one thing that was attractive about installing Chrome was that Google was handing keeping flash up to date.

Hugest waste of coding man hours ever is making sure a web site works with a 3, 5, 10 year old browser.

I don't know anyone using a 5 or 10 year-old browser. Mercy! :freak:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Recent statistics show many versions of Internet Explorer in use today in the following percentages.

IE 11: 18.08%

IE 8: 4.79%

IE 9: 3.25%

IE 10: 2.17%

IE 7: .99%

MS Edge: .44%

IE 6: .29%

IE 6 came out in 2001 with XP, MS has already dropped support for XP long past the date they said they would. So you're a web developer and your site has to work with all that. Or at some point you say we can't maintain for all those versions of IE, so you splash visitors or pop-up (although many block popups) that users need to update. What else can you do?

Don't get me wrong, if I had a PC that was a nice DAW machine and invested in VSTs etc. and it was still working, lol. I'd use it - I'd probably install eMagic's Logic! Actually I keep an XP laptop around to run some editors for my PLG boards on the S90ES. But I don't use it for the internet or call my bank's customer service complaining it doesn't work with my online banking. But you'd be surprised. :D

OK... I have a friend with an old Windows 7 laptop, but she probably never updates the browser.

Still, with all the online resources and free computer classes at local libraries and high schools, you'd think people would be more computer savvy and update the browser(s) more often.

Wonder how long before government sites catch up. I still deal with a state site that requires me to use an encryption program written 15 years ago that will not run on anything beyond 32bit Win XP. Yet, the upload site will not allow me to upload from an XP computer because it is considered a security risk.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I still deal with a state site that requires me to use an encryption program written 15 years ago that will not run on anything beyond 32bit Win XP. Yet, the upload site will not allow me to upload from an XP computer because it is considered a security risk.

http://doctorfeelgood.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/spock-illogical.jpg

Since when is government logical? The IRS is stuck on IE8. In order for me to access certain functions I had to set an IE11 compatibility mode.

As far as people not knowing about what to us is routine computer stuff, most are not geeks like we all are here. Companies can send out all the memo's they want and give all the seminars they want but there's a certain percentage of employees of all ages who are brain dead when it comes to this stuff. There's one office admin person I know who doesn't even have a cell phone. She doesn't trust em. She uses a custom program on her workstation and all she knows is 1. How to turn the PC on and off. 2. Open the program and, 3. Use that one program only. No office email much less any outside email, she barely understands the word email. Any communication is either face to face or call her extension. On the good side she is pretty sharp at what she does, is a hard worker etc, etc. She's not getting fired because she doesn't know squat about computers.

Don't get me started about all the "get off my lawn" geezer types. As far as the age part I'm a geezer but I'm the go to tech guy for many friends who just have no clue at all and you can't teach them either. Literally picture them putting fingers in their ears and going lalalalala when you mention any tech word. They think a PC should be another toaster. Just show me the on/off button and why won't this thing work?? IE freezes up so I should switch to Firefox what?? Chrome is on my car man...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

There's one office admin person I know who doesn't even have a cell phone. She doesn't trust em. She uses a custom program on her workstation and all she knows is 1. How to turn the PC on and off. 2. Open the program and, 3. Use that one program only. No office email much less any outside email, she barely understands the word email. Any communication is either face to face or call her extension.

Interesting... one of my older friends said she couldn't get an office job anywhere unless she had Word training and understood basic email.

I remember when the 286/386 computers really hit. they'd been getting adopted of course throughout the DOS era, but with Windows (and just a bit later an internet connection) - businesses, schools, institutions were all on board all of a sudden. And yeah, you needed to be able to use Word (or actually WordPerfect was in equal or even more common use at the time) and Excel (or Lotus 123). I remember watching the older workforce struggle with the mouse (sliding to a position and then having to return it to continue going that way). Click vs. double click, click and drag. Learning curve for the newbies of course. Kids today are faster with a tablet or a trackpad. It evolves and you keep up or you're out of work.

Kids today are faster with a tablet

Tablets are a breeze compared to a desktop PC with keyboard and mouse. And the graphics are amazing. I remember playing games on an old 386. Stone knives and bearskins!

Today's technology is a piece of cake... however, there are still folks who can't understand a smartphone. :idk

And yet my kid (and plenty of others) 2 to 3 years of age pick up a phone or tablet and use them instinctively. So it would seem for the older crowd it's just a belief they can't do it, once they drop that... they're in. My pop is 83 this summer - he's got an iPhone, he's calling, texting, emailing, doing his banking, etc. Needs his glasses, and a stylus (or capacitive pen or whatever you call it) though, he's got the arthritis.

it would seem for the older crowd it's just a belief they can't do it, once they drop that... they're in. My pop is 83 this summer - he's got an iPhone, he's calling, texting, emailing, doing his banking, etc.

That's great! My sister-in-law isn't very computer savvy but she can zip around with her iPhone and tablet with ease.

But yeah, the older folks can have a lot of fun once they get past the "I can't do this" stage.

I don't want to hijack (again...) but since so many of you are web-savvy, what do you think of this? I've been considering buying it, as I have no web creation skills.

http://www.coffeecup.com/designer/

I get emails from them all the time with discounts bringing the price down to $129.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

It looks like a template. You fill in the blanks and add your photos and such. Looks like you would still need a text editor or even better a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver? No, maybe it looks like they've included an editor with the template. Hmm. If you don't already have software you can give it a try. If you do, there are lots of template sites with templates for like $14.

I don't know. It looks a bit like Rapidweaver, which I use, to me. Very easy to put together a site, themes and plugins. I like Rapidweaver but don't like being tied to a OSX only product. But from what I'm seeing I don't think the coffee products has the same level of 3rd party support.

Busch.

• 3 months later...

"Google proposed making HTML5 the default over Flash in its Chrome browser back in May. With the latest release, Chrome 55, the company has nearly completed the transition. Chrome now defaults to HTML5 except when a site is Flash-only or if its one of the top 10 sites on the web. For every other website you visit, you'll be asked to enable Flash the first time you go there."

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/02/google-chrome-html5-default/

The great appeal of the web browser was its status as a universal client. While it was true that you could make a fancier user interface (for a single application) via a locally installed client program running on a Windows PC, such local client programs created all kinds of problems with maintainability, compatibility and security. I have always felt that Flash was a step backwards in this regard.

I don't know if this is HTML 5 or ESPN screwing up but I frequently find these 0db white noise bursts in ESPN videos (other places too). Don't recall this issue with Flash.

PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK - Note it is the video that follows with Kelly not the first one.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18202774/colin-kaepernick-benched-san-francisco-49ers-fourth-quarter-vs-chicago-bears

Busch.

• 7 months later...

Archived