Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: FlashPlayer hate

David Emm

I gave up in disgust and deleted FlashPlayer entirely. The thing is clearly a bug nest and I got tired of being pummeled with one patch after another, with FOUR coming in one week! I asked the BBC site managers if they would consider moving to HTML5, which dispenses with the endless hassle of FP. I was very politely told that they were already making the shift, because FP had become an increasing problem. How refreshing! I hate getting so many $#@! blanked panels demanding FP, but at least the BBC is advancing the cause. Hopefully the hassle of FlashPlayer will eventually outweigh its bleeping ubiquity. Join me in wearing "HTML5 NOW!!!" t-shirts, won't you? :pop::D

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I get that some businesses and organizations etc. invested in flash at some point and relied on it to an extent for a while. But stuff changes so fast on the internet, all any coders try to do is keep things working today. They're constantly in a state of bug fixing, keeping up with changing needs, expectations, etc. Flash is dead, everyone needs to let it go. And Adobe, with their endless stream of security updates, what a pain in the ass for the web browsing public. At least Google has made the effort to roll out flash updates themselves through chrome... improves the use experience tremendously. But compared to the must current sites built with HTML5/CSS3 etc. it's a dog. I think the browser developers need to get their sh*t together and say they're not going to support it anymore and be done with it on January 1, 2017. Something like that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I am torn. On the one hand, my last company had huge success with a very elaborate flash app that allowed me to retire. We chose flash as the best cross browser platform available at the time.

HTML 5 is the future for sure, but customers with old browsers will continue to experience problems. Many are held hostage by corporate mandate.

Moe

---

A few months ago I started an additional web site with Wix which is an HTML-5 site.

I ended up having to put a pop-up that announces that "for your best browsing experience, please up-grade to Internet Explorer 11" as Wix will not work with anything older. It is fine for all of the other browsers no matter what version.

My comedy partner has Windows Vista. He tried to get Internet Explorer 11 and was flat out denied until he up-grades to a higher operating system.

Right now we are seeking funding to help him do that.

Yes. It would be nice if everything got along.

:(

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but...

I've turned off flash in Firefox on my Macs. When I hit a site with flash, a little bar pops up at the top of my browser that asks me if I want to run flash - and if so - just once or always for that site.

I got fed up with it as well, and found that I could just turn it off.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Steve Jobs was right to keep flash away from IOS. He knew a dog when he saw one. Jobs was a big reason Adobe got off the ground in the first place, when he got behind Postscript for the first Apple laser printer. But Flash is a nightmare in terms of stability, security, and processor power consumption. It's time is long past gone. Adobe should kill it. But I guess they're still making more money on it than they are spending on continually patching it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In the immortal words of Robert Frost...

Natures first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leafs a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.

Now, Microsoft eventually dropped support for Windows XP. Vista was to end in April 2012 and Windows 7 in April of 2015. Both are under "extended support". Why people refuse to update Internet Explorer is a conversation for another time. Adobe Flash is dead. Long live a Adobe Flash! Or as Robert Frost put it, "F*ck Flash".

One of the only ones that can turn back time by running against the earth rotation.

What a cheat that was in the first Superman movie!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Flash wore out its welcome when it got exploited for intrusive ads over articles. I am not shy about abandoning websites that abuse Flash in this manner. Some websites have a Flash-only environment, and complaining to the webmaster about a non-Flash entry port usually gets results.

I don't have Flash running on any of my Macs. Except, I keep a copy of Chrome available for sites that insist on it and I feel the need to see them. I also use some tricks to keep things happy, like a Safari extension that allows embedded YT videos to play away from YT, and enabling the Develop menu in Safari so that I can tell web sites that my Mac is an iOS device so they show me the HTML5 alternate.

It's pretty annoying when a site tells my Mac, "You need to upgrade your Flash Player" [how do I upgrade something I don't have installed, dummy!] but works fine on an iOS device.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I use Android and Win 10 tablets for browsing and install an HTML5 add-on into Firefox which takes care of YouTube inside Firefox.

But hearing that Flash funded Moe's retirement maybe we should be a little more supportive before Flash fades away.

The BBC has made some interesting choices over the years, I recall there was a time when you had to have Realplayer installed to stream Radio 1.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

http://www.inventinginteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/amigaos_workbench.png

Now there ya go! A real beauty! But she's all grown up now - a version of my current version:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/Amiga/AmiSys.png

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Sorry I'm late to the party. (Story of my life).

You might try the ClickToFlash browser plugin. You can configure it so that it doesn't allow flash to load unless you click on the content to explicitly allow it, and it can also automatically change Flash content to HMTL5 when possible.

Ooo, you die hard! What hardware are you running this on, and what version of the OS?

Windows, baby! Amiga Forever by Cloanto. I've been a user since 1.0, prolly 15 years ago? It's come a long way, and now for $29.99 you can have a full-blown Amiga emulation running AmigaDOS 4.1 running faster than it ever could on actual Amigas. There is also C64 Forever.

Check it out: http://www.amigaforever.com/

When I'm going to just use Music-X I just load up this one:

B4C5iQBIIAAFI8N.png

B35zNRVIcAAw6mk.png

BzzGPGxCQAA3hKA.png

And Diskmaster:

B35yc20IYAAnotK.png

New features in Amiga Forever 2016:

* New user interface with gorgeous high-DPI display features ("retina"/4K density and beyond, multi-monitor)

* Ability to merge Amiga and 8-bit CBM content in single player (if both Amiga Forever and C64 Forever are installed)

* PowerPC emulation support, including 1+ GB of RAM, PCI bridge, preset devices with native AmigaOS 4.1 FE driver support, and more

* A wealth of new content configuration and authoring features (right-click a title and select Edit)

* Enhanced Amiga serial port, MIDI and printer support

* New Amiga devices for storage, graphics, sound and networking

* New Shared folder to exchange data between different Amiga configurations and the host system

* New AmiKit, AROS, ROMs and more

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 5 weeks later...

Google killing Flash by having Chrome default to HTML5 by end of the year

In May, Google circulated a draft proposal to effectively kill Adobe Flash by blocking the plugin and prioritizing HTML5 by the end of the year. The company is going ahead with that plan to de-emphasize Flash with a staged disabling of the plug-in through multiple versions of Chrome.

Starting with Chrome 53 currently in beta in September, background Flash elements, like page analytics, will be blocked. Google notes that today 90% of the plug-in loads in the background and is used solely for things like analytics. This move is designed to encourage publishers and sites to switch over to HTML5 equivalents that will speed up page load and battery life. Google also notes that end users should see an improvement in responsiveness and efficiency for many sites.

The more ambitious part of the plan comes in December with Chrome 55 where HTML5 will be made the default experience. Users will have to enable the plug-in for sites that only support Flash after updating to that version. This approval only needs to be given the first time a user loads a Flash site, however.

The original proposal discussed a whitelist of the top 10 sites on the web that still requires Flash. Those sites whitelisted by default will have a year to switch over to Flash. Google is also working on the best way to implement settings and phrasing to explain the changes to regular users.

Hey, Flash is great. Right up there with JAVA. ;)

I don't like any program that gives you the option to turn off autoplay and then ignores the settings.

The JAVA update process is worse than Flash. Our electronic medical record system runs a specific range of JAVA. In a network setting turning off automatic JAVA updates is account based, but the update is computer based. When we give a computer to a user we have to log in as that user to disable JAVA updates. If another user happens to log onto that computer and runs the EMR, Java prompts the user to update. If they update, it kills the EMR for all users. We finally had to block the JAVA site in our web filter so it would not prompt for updates.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

In May, Google circulated a draft proposal to effectively kill Adobe Flash by blocking the plugin and prioritizing HTML5 by the end of the year. The company is going ahead with that plan to de-emphasize Flash with a staged disabling of the plug-in through multiple versions of Chrome.

Excellent news! I notice that Safari 10 (set to ship this fall with macOS Sierra) is also heading in the same direction.

I hope these changes will result in Chrome becoming less of a resource pig. The current release starts to crush my mid-2010 MBP (dual-core i7 w/ 8GB) if I leave it open for too long on certain sites that have lots of dynamic content. The Chrome user experience is streamlined and snappy, but it's a busy little beaver.

Archived