Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I bother?

Gary75

I would like some advice on a quandary I find myself in.

It's been two years since I last gigged, I decided to take a break because I was tired of being repeatedly kicked in the nuts from bands who see a keyboard player to be the most expendable member of a band.

However in the interim, my finances have gotten bad and it's a struggle putting fuel in the car.

I finally regained the confidence recently to want to go back into a band again to earn a few quid, and there's an advert for a local gigging band that fits the bill - close, so travel costs are low, and the music is fine.

I'm ready to contact them but my issue is that I need more hand surgery. I have gone back onto the waiting list as of this week, and it's usually 3-4 months wait, which puts it at the back end of the year.

I need my thumb tendon in my right hand (triggering) sorted, and it's usually a month recovery.

Should I bother trying or just leave it? I would be totally honest with them from the start. I'm worried that I'll get dropped again because of my health situation. I had that done to me a few years ago when my eye haemorrhaged and I needed surgery. Bandleader wouldn't answer my calls and I heard on the grapevine that 'they couldn't wait for me'. It left me depressed and it's not a place I would like to visit again.

I have been playing in pain for years because it was the only way I could earn any money. I decided last year that I had to go through with surgery which so far has been successful on my hands.

I'm struggling financially and unable to earn in a band because I need surgery two more times. I'm only 40 and it's wearing me down.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm ready to contact them but my issue is that I need more hand surgery. I have gone back onto the waiting list as of this week, and it's usually 3-4 months wait, which puts it at the back end of the year.

I need my thumb tendon in my right hand (triggering) sorted, and it's usually a month recovery.

I'm sure your doctors know what they're doing but have you tried any alternative therapies? Acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic? Acupuncture in particular may help you tremendously. In any event, the best of luck to you in your recovery.

I guess it may come down to how much the band expects from you, playing parts. If it's mainly to fill out the sound you may be able to get by for a few months basically playing pads and chords with your left hand. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/shrug.gif

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Sounds like you're a straight up guy. Why not pursue this situation and see what they have to say from the get-go? Maybe they won't want to take you on if you'd have to be off for a period of time in the future, or maybe they'd work with you. I'd think you could get a good idea of the type of people they are when you meet them. Heck, are you even sure they'd like your playing? I say, be honest with them, and ask for their honesty in return.

On the other hand, you really don't know for sure when you'd actually have the surgery. And considering your financial situation, and hand condition, why not take the gig if you can get it without telling them? You need to play financially, and if you can physically play (without being in excessive pain or further damage), take it as far as you can. Be proactive rather than reactive and becoming a victim of the circumstances. Just a thought...

Sounds like you have a serious condition, hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted on your situation.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Forget bands. Whore yourself out. Bands are reliant on the band's ability to get gigs. Whoring yourself out relies on your ability to play the keyboards and attract people into hiring you to play gigs. You wanna rely on yourself and your skills to attract clients, or you wanna rely on a bunch of other folks who are into doing one thing to get gigs as a collective?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I suffered from the same affliction in my thumb and middle finger... and it was pretty painful at times. Amazingly, it was temporary. Now I am suffering from a triggering pinky, but I can play with it. Its been bad for the past two months, so I will probably get surgery on it next month.

I played a while with a triggering thumb, and it was a drag. There is no way I could play the same. I suggest that you get the surgery and recover. Your health is the most important consideration.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Both middle fingers here. I just assumed it was from overuse, since I am from New York.

I have gotten the maximum number of shots and they would like to do the operation. Hard to find the stretch of time to accommodate it...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Both middle fingers here. I just assumed it was from overuse, since I am from New York.

I have gotten the maximum number of shots and they would like to do the operation. Hard to find the stretch of time to accommodate it...

Man, aren't those cortizone shots in the palm of your hand fun?

Damn!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

They are awesome. Apparently the guideline is something like, recurrence a second time in a year suggests that you need surgery, and more than two shots also suggests that you need surgery. When I saw the doc for the 4th time in six months, he did a good job of maintaining his professional remove. He said something along the lines of, "Loser crybaby pussy-ass music-dweeb. Just get the damned operation, Alfred E. Dorkbot."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Go for it, life is to short to not go for opportunities you want to pursue.

Even though it might be difficult with handsurgery approaching, Kanker's advice might be the more lucrative option in the long run, reputation can be built playing in different bands though. Big network and reputation of delivery= many gigs.

Ask yourself what you want!

Take care

I'm sure your doctors know what they're doing but have you tried any alternative therapies? Acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic? Acupuncture in particular may help you tremendously. In any event, the best of luck to you in your recovery.

I guess it may come down to how much the band expects from you, playing parts. If it's mainly to fill out the sound you may be able to get by for a few months basically playing pads and chords with your left hand. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/shrug.gif

Acupuncture isn't available readily on the NHS, but this is purely a physical obstruction that requires surgery. Small tendon nodules restricting travel through the tendon sheath.

It's related to 34 years of Type 1 diabetes, the same as my knackered eyes. I'm just getting through my medical tests every 3 years to keep driving. As much as they are stable now, my eyes will never get better only worse, so I'm not expecting to be able to drive right into old age. I'm hoping automated cars really take off before the time comes I have to stop driving. I can't think of anything better than loading my keyboard into the car, pressing a button and letting my car take me to a gig itself!

I thank everyone for the feedback. I make a terrible musician because I'm pretty introverted and I prefer a quiet life and living very much off the grid as much as I can. Putting myself out there has always been hard not just as much because of intermittent physical problems but mental attitude to being a musician. I shouldn't be a musician really, I only got into it as a way of dealing with agrophobia as a teen. But I got pretty good and it just carried on.

One of the worst things about being a quiet guy in the world of gigging is that you are often mistaken for being aloof or having a massive ego because you don't say much, that's frustrating as nothing could be further from the truth!

I think I will go looking again, I have to, and as long as I'm not playing piano centric stuff, I can probably compensate that 4-6 weeks while my thumbs healing so much as its not noticeable.

Sometimes I just need a kick up the backside to get back into it.

Gary, trust me, you are an incredible player and an asset to any band which cares to take you on. Just be yourself and you'll be fine there's room for all sorts of personalities within a band, as long as they're not destructive.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

About the aloof thing, the only important thing you need to do is remember to say "thank you" when people compliment you. Even (especially?) when you don't believe you deserve it.

And if you accidentally speak to an audience member, just ask if they are having a good time tonight.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived