Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mojo 61 & Hammond XK1-C Side by Side

Outkaster

And it didn't have shit to do with anything we discussed when I posted this thread?

WTF are you smokin? The hell it doesn't.

It applies to the following quotes IN THIS THREAD (from guess who):

"I said before I need something right out of the box that I dont need to screw around with. I dont have the patience or time honestly."

Wow.

Yes because if you have to tweak that much out of the box that means it wasn't good to begin with. It's a concept people don't get.

SMH

"Well that's it. Presets get a dirty reputation but they can be invaluable. Last time I was wowed was August 2004 when I heard the first XK-3. I still think if it doesn't sound good out of the box there is really nothing you can do. It's like buying a truck that has something about it that you can't get your head around."

Yes, it's like "buying a truck".

OK but how good can it get then? Maybe not "nothing" but if it takes more work than it's worth what then?

I'll stop there. About the only thing correct that you stated was "Fair enough."

Playing the hammond IS synthesis. Playing the latest clones is that plus tweaking/editing for the sounds a player wants. That's it. Wet it . Wipe it. Goodnight.

I'm not gonna be as kind as others, after seeing the replies from you to others in regard to your "organ clone comparison", I don't really respect your opinion on the matter.

Maybe I will stick to playing piano from now on, it's less of a headache.

And I'd even question this as well, but "I don't have the patience or time honestly"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had clones that I have really had to mess with. The HX3 drove me crazy.... and they were coming out with updates every other week. I could never get the chorus to sound right.

So in a way , I agree with some of Outkaster's statements.

The SK1 wasn't right for me either. Plus there was all that trash coming out of Hammond saying that their gear was the real bacon, and everything else was only just soy bacon.

And then you have Tony Monaco jumping ship from Hammond Suzuki because of the way the Mojo sounded. His video comparing the Mojo to his A 100 makes a very strong case.

The first time I ever even heard a Mojo was at NAMM this year. So before then I got a Numa because I could hear it before I bought it.

And there wasn't much to tweak on a Numa. You either liked it or you didn't. Because I had heard a Key B, I knew the main difference was in the preamp and that any differences could be compensated for by using a 3 band EQ on a mixer- and the right speakers.

And there wasn't much to tweak on a Numa. You either liked it or you didn't.

Well there ya go, Outkaster should've bought the Numa (for those with no time, care, ...or clue).

* All the latest clones offer decent sound and features (and thankfully, a fair level of tweak-ability) for today's players not wanting to haul the real thing. It's win-win at this point, but the real deal is in it's own class.

** Hammond artists don't quite "jump ship" btw. Unless they're there to demo a clone/etc. specifically, most/all will sit at the real deal when it's there and working.

I'm not gonna be as kind as others, after seeing the replies from you to others in regard to your "organ clone comparison", I don't really respect your opinion on the matter.
:rolleyes:

Don't mind him, Jason. As you know I disagree with some stuff you've said in the past, but that doesn't mean that I'll be unkind to you. No one else should be either.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Does that mean that I'm screwing one of y'all's gals in another ones house? This organ thing is so confusing.....
Theo in disguise using a southern writing accent?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Name drop warning. I visited Mr Monaco at his Ohio home about 3 years ago for a lesson that i was not worthy or ready for. He told me then he was off of HS and I believe he mentioned mojo. He said the sound was better. He didn't imply "other" reasons. I didn't ask.

FunMachine.

My Sweetwater Sales Engineer tells me that I am next in line - we'll see . . .

Hope you get it soon! My VK7 is going to the storage closet in case I ever need a backup. Technology sure has improved in a short number of years.

Got my Mojo 61 today - loving it!

Mojo 61 on 2nd tier

That looks great Brandon. What stand are you using in the picture? And with what second tier? I love how the Mojo 61 and the CP40 end up so close. It is perfect for gigging. Wish I had a stand that made my boards end up so close.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

Looks like an OnStage KS7150 which is a table stand.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11650/116975

They make a KSA7500 universal second tier attachment.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/117159

This stand is not really fun to carry to gigs, which is why it seems they also made a bag for it. https://on-stage.com/products/view/35539/117325

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Looks like an OnStage KS7150 which is a table stand.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11650/116975

They make a KSA7500 universal second tier attachment.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/117159

This stand is not really fun to carry to gigs, which is why it seems they also made a bag for it. https://on-stage.com/products/view/35539/117325

That's right - KS7150 + KSA7500. I modified the 2nd tier attachment since I found it unusable from a sitting position. I prefer carrying and setting up this stand over my X stand, but I find that this stand rocks back and forth a bit.

I do hate a shaky stand. It's worth looking at this setup.

You play standing or seated more often?

Can it get low enough to feel it's about acoustic piano high? Tall enough for straight wrists standing play?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I only play seated. The shaking isn't bad enough for me to look for another stand, it's really only noticeable when I have both hands rockin'. I have the stand at its lowest height which works well with my collapsable bench. With my digital piano on it, it's about the same height as my Rhodes and Wurly. I haven't tried standing with it.

When I say I modified the 2nd tier, I mean I used a hack saw and a drill press. Not a fun job. I think the way that the 2nd comes from the factory would be better for standing.

I only play seated. The shaking isn't bad enough for me to look for another stand, it's really only noticeable when I have both hands rockin'. I have the stand at its lowest height which works well with my collapsable bench. With my digital piano on it, it's about the same height as my Rhodes and Wurly. I haven't tried standing with it.

When I say I modified the 2nd tier, I mean I used a hack saw and a drill press. Not a fun job. I think the way that the 2nd comes from the factory would be better for standing.

I am curious on the process of how you managed to get the second tier lower. I do agree from the Onstage website it looks waaaayyy too high for playing seated, even lowering the angle of the second tier. I was considering it but it looks like a tough job to modify it. I think the worst of it would be the L connection. What I would do is get a hacksaw like you did and cut off the L and part of the height from the bottom. Then take it to someone who solders and attach a new L through soldering. Not sure if the new soldering would manage to hold weight though.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

No sir. I'm neither Southern nor Theo. Although, I have enormous respect for his sense of individuality.

My statement was a facetious response. As, I think that arguing over others preferences in instruments, absolutely ludicrous. In addition, the endorsers who act like you smacked their wife in the face because you don't share similar tastes, furthers no one.

Direct misquotes, and every possible way to disagree. My god.

I am curious on the process of how you managed to get the second tier lower. I do agree from the Onstage website it looks waaaayyy too high for playing seated, even lowering the angle of the second tier. I was considering it but it looks like a tough job to modify it. I think the worst of it would be the L connection. What I would do is get a hacksaw like you did and cut off the L and part of the height from the bottom. Then take it to someone who solders and attach a new L through soldering. Not sure if the new soldering would manage to hold weight though.

First, I shortened the 2 arms that the keyboard rests on with a hacksaw. The plastic L-shaped caps that stop the keyboard from falling off the arms had to be removed first - they aren't glued in, just very firmly in place.

Next, I shortened the square tubes that come up vertically. I used the existing holes where the horizontal support bar was for the new location of the support arms, then moved the horizontal support bar down lower to some new holes. There are different hole sizes to deal with.

I don't recommend doing this, but if you really want to go ahead with it, I can send some photos and more details.

I'm pretty happy with the end result. If they made the support arms adjustable so that they can be moved back and forward, then it would probably be a good product.

Thank you both for taking time to share this with the forum members! Nice job! It's a bit funny, as some of us are old enough to remember a time when people used to split hairs over the real thing!!! (eg, any B-3 with mylar caps is crap, I will only play a 1950's vintage, I won't play an organ that's been recapped, etc.).

Archived