Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K & M Stand and Stacker One More Time

I'm going to buy a K & M 18880 stand and get a stacker for my second keyboard. I can't really see the difference between the 18881 and the 18882 and I'm hoping someone here can help.

My bottom keyboard is a Casio PX5s, and my top is a Hammond SK1.

Here's the thing--I want to have my SK1 as close as possible to the Casio. If I could, I'd have the front edge of the AK1 almost touching the top of the Casio. Also I'll probably want the top keyboard angled slightly downward.

So which should I buy? And if there are any resources for buying a little cheaper than elsewhere, I'd love to know--I'm in central Mexico so it costs a ton to get this already expensive stand down here.

Thanks!

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all 18882s. 18881s were out of stock at Thomanns. 18882 work the same but cost $10 more. 18882s have the mounts for additional stackers. Sometimes I actually use the stacker mounts on the top tier to send cable runs through to get to the top board.

If you think you may want want to add a third tier and don't want to disassmble your stand in the future get the 18882. If not save some money and get the 18881.

I got my K&M stuff from Thomann in Germany. I had to have at least one set of 18882 for my 3 tier stand. I could not find 18882 in stock in the US. US dealers had to get parts and products throught the US distributor and I can get stuff from Germany faster than the US distributor who then needed to send stuff to the dealer. It was going to be 12+ weeks to buy from a US vendor. After shipping it was for me to buy cheaper from Germany than a US dealer. Thomann was out of 18881 at the time so I got two sets of 18882 from Thomann.

Being in Mexico I have no idea what your situation will be.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I see no differences. If the stock tiers do not get close enough for you Jeff Learman has modified his 18880 to get closer. Jeff knows a lot about this stand.

K&M sends you wrench to setup the stand. If you do not like that wrench if you lose it or K&M didn't put on in the box a 10mm socket works better.

I use the 18880/18882 combo, and it works really well with the PX5S.

27163616850_dcabeb7066_c.jpg

To get the spacing right, you have to set the PX to overhang the bottom tier of the 18880 by about 4". There's a plastic ridge that runs along the bottom of the PX that I use as a guide, when it bumps against the bars of the bottom tier, I know it's in the right place. It looks like the PX is not well supported, but it feels totally solid.

You can kind of see it in this photo:

27368294721_50bf19a9fc_c.jpg

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Does this stand go high enough to play standing up?
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yep. Not close to max height.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/010315boon_zpsc195b9fb.jpg

CEB You realize you look like Walter White in that pic!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I didn't know who Walter White was. I googled it and it is the same guy as Heisenberg. I don't know him either but people have called me Heisenberg before and I had no idea what they were talking about. LOL

To get the spacing right, you have to set the PX to overhang the bottom tier of the 18880 by about 4". There's a plastic ridge that runs along the bottom of the PX that I use as a guide, when it bumps against the bars of the bottom tier, I know it's in the right place. It looks like the PX is not well supported, but it feels totally solid.

I also use the 18880 and I have my bottom keyboard overhang the edges of the stand too. I just put some tape marks on each side of the stand where the back of the keyboard should sit to be straight.

Does this stand go high enough to play standing up?

I'm 6'1" (if I stand up straight), and I have the stand at the max height. I find it far better for standing than the typical X stand.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

Thanks--so apparently there is no other difference between the 18881 and the 18882 other than the 82 allows you to add another stacker?

The fact that the 18881 doesn't have the opening for the next tier means it also gives you the option of installing it backwards (protruding away from you instead of toward you) which is sometimes useful.

The 18882 also has an adustable/extendible front piece.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure if it could be used standing, good to know.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I also,use 18880 & 18882 for PX5s & Roland VR09.

Best stand ever! 100% recommend it.

Only further comment: adjusting the height is fiddly, so it is best if you use it either for sitting OR standing, but don't plan on alternating between them.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

"The 18882 also has an adustable/extendible front piece."

Without seeing it, this sounds like it could be useful in pulling the top keyboard into the closest possible and practical position...

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Also use this stand but the 18882 is raised up at the back for the next tier which doesn't allow my MOXF8 to sit on it very well whereas the 18881 is flat. Yes the 18882 can be extended at the front but it's still not deep enough for the MOX.

Great stand though and the weight is the best part. I've had the Casio PX on the bottom, Hammond XK on the second tier and a MOXF8 on the top tier and it was solid.

So many drummers, so little time.

• 1 month later...

Man, buying this is crazy. I ordered a silver 18880 stand from 8th street music, the only one in stock. But I can't find an 18882 in stock in either silver or black! I've tried ebay, amazon and just regular google searches. I don't care if it is black and doesn't match the lower stand. I just can't wait 10 weeks to get this.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Man, buying this is crazy. I ordered a silver 18880 stand from 8th street music, the only one in stock. But I can't find an 18882 in stock in either silver or black! I've tried ebay, amazon and just regular google searches. I don't care if it is black and doesn't match the lower stand. I just can't wait 10 weeks to get this.

Any ideas? Thanks.

In stock at fullcompass,com

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Great! Checking now--a stupid question, they have it pictured as only one piece, where others have it pictured as a pair. The price you pay from retailers is for two of them, right? A left one and a right one?

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I bought mine from Thomann and it took maybe 2 weeks or so. I did that because by the time distributor got the stackers and the dealer received them it was going to be 10-12 weeks.

PS - yes they come in pairs.

I ordered a 18880 from Sweetwater today. He is estimating 7-10 day delivery.
Was that a special order? I've never seen the 18880 on their site.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah. They don't stock it but they already carry the line. I just called my sales dude and told him to get it for me.

Moe

---

Yeah. They don't stock it but they already carry the line. I just called my sales dude and told him to get it for me.

I thought so. I wonder why they don't carry the 18880 and the stacker parts.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

They certainly look different:

18881:

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/K_M_18881_000_55_18881_Stacker_Tier_1232786200000_316089.jpg

18882:

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/K_M_18882_000_30_18882_Extension_Tier_Stacker_1232786200000_316096.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Got my K&M this morning. First impressions -

- that's a tiny box!

- dang that's lightweight

- cross bars are thicker and more substantial than they appear in pics

- oh, height adjustment requires a wrench. Would have been nice to have click stop adjusters.

- cross bar is pretty short. I tend to like my stands wider, but have no real reason for this. Could make a longer bar I guess.

- dang that's lightweight.

- Might rig a second bar across the bottom of the legs to hold the pedalboard captive.

- folds as flat as an X stand without the ironing board effect

- did I mention how lightweight it is?

Really pleased so far! Now to make a set of risers using Rusty Mike's excellent insert idea.

Moe

---

Archived