Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wrap It Up: guess the soloists!

Dave Bryce

OK, I really suck at this but I'll go with Jordan for the solo? If not I probably know the person and am unaware that they can work a synth so musically like that.

Still kicking myself after unsuccessfully trying to run through the forum members in my head. :hitt:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Sounds great. I dig the the violin sound. Too bad Cygnus64 is not around here that much, I really appreciate his vast knowledge about music!

Carlo, what a great solo! Not only great shredding, but interesting note-wise as well.

Great track overal Dave :thu:

Rudy

Carlo, what a great solo! Not only great shredding, but interesting not wise as well.

"Not wise" is a great way to describe it - thanks.

Oh, wait... maybe you meant "note-wise"! :D

In fact, I think it caught Dave a little bit off guard... :) so I sent him another, different solo, more prog-oriented this time.

It's now up to Dave to decide which one to use.

I go away for the weekend and I miss this excellent thread. Boo. :(:taz:

I would never have guessed Cygnus and his violin. I maintain that I would have guessed maestro Carlo and his Mono-Evolver, but ... we will never really know will we? :D

Great track dB. I am off to listen to some Balthazar. :cheers:

I listened to the track before anyone replied, but I didn't have any guesses. I do want to say, cool track! I will take a listen later and check out your featured now that I know who they are. :cool:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"Not wise" is a great way to describe it - thanks.

Oh, wait... maybe you meant "note-wise"! :D

:roll:

Carlo, I am embarrassed I didn't mention your name first. I wasn't thinking about global communications right away. :confused::blush:

:nopity:

I sent him another, different solo, more prog-oriented this time.

It's now up to Dave to decide which one to use.

Both solos are amazing, my brother!

I'll try to post a mix with the second solo today. Tough choice...would love to hear what you guys think.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Wrap It Up with new solo

Wrap It Up with original solo

Solo starts around 5:20 mark. Both completely killer - gotta choose one. :eek:

I have a definite leaning...curious to hear what y'all think. :)

dB

I do have to mention that the original has more effects than the new one. Original has chorus, delay, reverb and tube re-amp (Mesa). New one has less delay, less 'verb, same chorus, different re-amp (AC-30).

dB

True that. You are choosing between great and great here. If I had a slight preference I really like the way the second solo integrates with the other instruments at the end of the song.

Carlo's mind-blowing solos are a testament to his natural gifts and years of study, but also ... an old school way of allowing a complex synthesizer to unlock it's secrets over a period of time.

[video:youtube]whvzjgBA_fw

The patience pays off. Respect. :cool:

True that. You are choosing between great and great here. If I had a slight preference I really like the way the second solo integrates with the other instruments at the end of the song.

Carlo's mind-blowing solos are a testament to his natural gifts and years of study, but also ... an old school way of allowing a complex synthesizer to unlock it's secrets over a period of time.

Thanks a lot Jerry... :) To say that the Evolver is complex is an understatement. It's incredibly deep. And like any other deep synth, it has its little (and big) idiosyncrasies... I have had my very big dose of complex synths, so I fear nothing.... :D (Chroma, Matrix-12, Wave 2.2, TG77, Wavestation, K2600...) and yet, only recently I have reached a point where I feel that I know most of the secrets of the Evolver. "Most" is not "all", of course.... :)

A little disclaimer about that video: many of the most complex and unconventional patches that I have made for the Evo are not present there, for reason that are explained on the YouTube notes. Among them a bunch of funny patches, like animal and natural noises... :evil::D

Also, since then I have programmed several dozen more patches.

Needless to say, one of my greatest desires is to own a PEK some day.

The only person (other than me) who has a bank with a choice of my Evolver sounds is in fact Dave... he's the one who first exposed me to the Evolver about seven years ago...

Back to the "Wrap It Up" solos, I prefer the second one as well. The first one is more jazzy and adventurous, but it has a few rough spots too. The second one is a bit more conventional, but I feel that it sits better in the tune.

Back to the "Wrap It Up" solos, I prefer the second one as well. The first one is more jazzy and adventurous, but it has a few rough spots too. The second one is a bit more conventional, but I feel that it sits better in the tune.

to my ears Carlo, the second one sounds more like "you". Meaning I would have guessed you right away on this track from listening to your own material. I can see how you like this one better. Personally, I like the first take better, maybe it's just the way dB has it processed in the mix, Anyway, neither one sucks. :D

Always a pleasure to hear you play. :cheers:

:nopity:

I was blown away by the original one the first time I heard it! :love: Absolutely incredible!

Now I have listened to both....almost impossible to choose, both so excellent; but if I had to I would probably go with the new one. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Personally, I like the first take better, maybe it's just the way dB has it processed in the mix

There's no doubt the first one is processed a bit more ambiently - it has more reverb and delay, and is sitting beautifully in the track. The newer solo is drier, and is sitting a bit in front of the mix.

I also lean towards the second one. I'll pull it back in the mix a hair and soften it just a touch, and it should be fine.

Thanks for the coments, guys!

dB

Hi

I think the first one was more a live solo: nice PA, pop band, bit of a wall of sound: solo! Would be great solo for that. The second one probably fits the song idea better.

I listened to both mixes from the internet player thingie (hardly possible to give a balanced judgement), the "in your face" idea must be intentional but on my big system isn't great. I'd make the stereo "skyline" between the speakers not as "high" (and low) as a rule. Loudness control was probably fine, I won't try to search for any specific mid-low sub-bands.

Probably this was intended to be played on or mixed on smaller two-way systems, which is fine, if that's intentional. The solo sound can IMO be put into all kinds of effects, just like the "introductory" organ sound just before the solo, that's all the more fun.

T

The second one probably fits the song idea better.

Agreed.

I listened to both mixes from the internet player thingie (hardly possible to give a balanced judgement)

Perhaps you want to wait until you can listen on a better system to give an opinion, then? I'm in no rush... :cool:

the "in your face" idea must be intentional but on my big system isn't great. I'd make the stereo "skyline" between the speakers not as "high" (and low) as a rule.

I was clear in the song notes that I was trying to duplicate/keep the vibe of a 30 year old piece of music, yes?

Probably this was intended to be played on or mixed on smaller two-way systems, which is fine, if that's intentional

Sorry - I don't understand this comment. All my mixes are intended to be played on any system. I mixed the tune on a pair of Amphion Two15s, which are my pride and joy.

I dont know if anyone who mixes with the intent of their tunes only being played back on specific systems. :idk:

The solo sound can IMO be put into all kinds of effects, just like the "introductory" organ sound just before the solo, that's all the more fun.

The synth solo is not intended to sound the same as the violin. I tend to like contrast - it provides motion. In the same vein, the clean EP blooming out of the heavily effected violin earlier in the tune is just gorgeous, IMO. :thu:

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

dB

late to the pahtay. Great groove, great song. Great solos. Tough call. Knowns.

2nd one. only 'cause it's more likely to hit the common man on the first hit. hard. the 1st one is brainy sublime- and best reserved for the deserving audience. that's my take on 1st listens, cheap speakers, and before reading others' thoughts.

Comp 'em!! Joking. Surely, I am.

Nice work, guys.

I also lean towards the second one. I'll pull it back in the mix a hair and soften it just a touch, and it should be fine.

Done.

Synth solo down 0.3 dB (amazing how much difference that little bit makes), with juuuuust the slightest touch more of happy Bricasti reverb goodess.

Sits better now, I'd say. :)

dB

:2thu:

the solo is reminiscent of the Syntaxis era to my ears

The "Syntaxis era"?! Wow... looks like someone *was* following my musical efforts after all! :D

Syntaxis is a bit of an unfinished story... after a trip to the USA in 1999 for a deal that wasn't finalized, I did "La Linea", the third album, for a German label... then I also made a fourth album, with stellar guests, around 2007, but I still have it unmixed in my drawers - for reasons that I'm sure my psychiatrist will be happy to explain....

Archived