Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you use major retailer tech support or call manufacturer?

Redknife

My six month old PC3A6 was suddenly taking a long time to boot and after boot it was locked up. I did various basic troubleshooting. The "boot loader" has various diagnostic programs but that wouldn't load when triggered at startup per manual.

So, I called the major online retailer where I purchase the unit. They offer free tech support and tout this tech support as value added when purchasing through them. I won't go through all the details, but in summary I received blatantly inaccurate information, hair pulling discourse (me- 'it is still locked up', them- 'it's working perfectly fine'; me'I can't run boot loader', them 'in order to run boot loader you have to remove the expansion ROMs plus you don't need that feature', me-sticks fork in eye for relief of pain :pop: . They finally offered to have me send it to them and we ended our phone conversation without agreement on much of anything and keyboard still not working. Just to make sure that I received every nuance of their ineptitude, they closed with "you can send it in but it will just get sent right back".

I then contacted Kurzweil, and sanity returned to the lands. They gave me a bunch of things to start checking before getting back to them. All of which were perfectly reasonable and had specificity based on the presenting symptoms and their knowledge of the keyboard processes.

So, it occurred to me that I never should have bothered calling the major retailer technical support. I should have contacted Kurzweil first. It got me thinking- do any of you find those major retailer free technical support services useful? Maybe I just had a bad egg? I viewed it as a path to either fix the problem or get the board to them for warranty service. Now I realize that the path to warranty service need not go through them.

(I don't want this to be a retailer bashing thread, just want a sense of who y'all contact with technical problems.)

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Kurz I would pm Dave Weiser here on our forum first; he may be familiar with the issue. Similar for the other members here that work for or represent a particular manufacturer. I believe these folks are always happy to steer you to the right place if they don't have the answer themselves.

Otherwise I always go directly with tech support at the manufacturer. Always.

Apple has been exemplary. Camel Audio likewise. Focusrite and CME have made things run smoothly. Sweetwater has been very much on the ball at several key points when I needed help. Sequential behaved like real champs and DSI has held to that over time. The MOTU staff have always been very helpful and quick to respond in many cases. G-Media made buying M-Tron Pro painless. One day, I'm going to give double plasma and buy Omnisphere, partly because its Eric Persing at the helm and partly because its OMNISPHERE, amen. :D

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

I try to only buy brands where my tech is an authorize service center. He is authorized for Roland, Yamaha, Korg and Nord. For Hammond I deal directly with Addison.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I use a well known mid-western retailer and they are always there to discuss a problem. Often they point me to a manufacturer resource for any actual service. At other times they offer hassle-free replacement or other alternatives.

I would usually consider myself more intimately knowledgable than the retailer about a specific product issue, since I do my own some trouble-shooting. However the retailer has a big picture set of connections and resources, which complements what I can do.

I use a well known mid-western retailer and they are always there to discuss a problem. Often they point me to a manufacturer resource for any actual service.

+1

I'm sure we're both talking about the same retailer. Excellent support before and after the sale. They helped me out when I bought my Alesis Ion many years ago... when I had a question that Alesis tech support couldn't answer.

7wrz9tWh.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I bought my Kronos from the well known Mid Western (Indiana) retailer. (There is a well known retailer from outside of Milwaukee that started out as a small MIDI shop years ago that is pretty good to deal with also. When negociating price, my man Joe is always bragging on their support in Indiana that I have never used. My thing with out of state support and repair services is that if something goes down I need it to be fixed now. That is why I try to only buy brands that my tech in Champaign is authorized for.

Well .... I my early days with the Kronos I found file management when rolling your own samples to be a bitch so I call their famous support. LOL. They were no help I was told they really don't teach how to use the instruments. I told that's OK I will figure it out somehow. I just wanted to see how good Joe's famous support was. I CCd Joe. :laugh:

At the end of the day when shopping online iit comes down to price.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Why are people avoiding mentioning the names of retailers? Especially when they are praising them? What harm can it do to identify them?

From the Forum Policies

Discussing specific pricing/talking about specific retailers

We request that members not post about any specific retailer in regards to pricing of gear/great deals they got, etc.

Here's why: in the early days of the forum, music store sales guys would come on here trolling for sales...some of them would even stoop so low as to pretend to be just another end user who just wanted to share the news about this cool store they bought their gear at, or some wonderful salesguy that they thought all of us should know about... :rolleyes:

Consequently, we try and keep info about specific pricing/retailers off the boards.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived