Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Maurice White

Dave Bryce

Saw him/them many times at Madison Square Garden opening for major rock acts. Not unusual for EWF to open for bands like Yes/Tull back then.

Maurice was the man...loved his energy, live he was amazing.

Glad he was around, he made some great music and such a positive vibe.

RIP Maurice

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favorite EWF tune.

[video:youtube]

RIP

Probably my favorite also, although hard to really pick a "favorite". Can't Hide Love was written by Skip Yarborough. BTW...Wayman Tisdale did a great cover of "Can't Hide Love" as did J.P Morgan that was produced by David Foster (us older heads remember her from The Gong Show). Check those versions out.

The first EW&F tune I heard was "Evil" back in '73 and I was hooked.

EW&F had all the elements we want in music...melody, harmony, rhythm, joy, praise, spirit, love...and funk! I always wanted to be the guy that would say "yeow" in their songs.

Thanks to Maurice White for decades of great music.

I just can't say enough about how much of an impact EWF had in my life, both personally and musically. Evil was the 1st EWF I've ever heard(didn't know it was EWF until later in life). I can remember as a small child listening to "That's The Way Of The World" when it first blessed the airways.. the musicality, his sweet tenor was like ice cream with the already delicious cake. Songs like "Getaway", "Can't Hide Love" and "Devotion" were part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

In all of the funk bands I've been with(in pretty much ALL of my bands), I've covered more EWF songs than that of any other group(even the Temptations).. there are 8 that I can think of off the top of my head.

RIP Maurice White

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Oooooh noooo!!!!!!

Even if I was afraid of this day coming for a long time now, knowing about the Parkinson...It is still hard for me to take in...

That man and EW&F are responsible for my musical awakening.

Can´t even express how much they meant to me, besides the above.

Will never forget how proud my dad was (musician) when I was a kid and asked him what was playing on the stereo, and if he could tape it for me.

A whole new world openened up for me after that...being able to get into jazz etc.

Don´t hear it so much, even from singers, but to me he was one of the absolutely greatest singers ever to walk this planet. The way he phrased, improvised and the incredible emotional depth, musicality...He was simply one of a kind.

I mean jesus...listen the way he sings "Be Ever Wonderful" or "All About Love" just to mention two songs..where I listened to the latter on repeat. Didn´t even understand one world of english at that young age...BUT still I UNDERSTOOD the deeper meaning somehow...wow...

He transcended the words!

Not even talking about having thought out the whole concept.

The composing, arranging, and the spiritual depth the lyrics had...just incredible.

That band had it ALL!!! And much thanks to Maurice White.

They made the world a better place.

To me, the greatest band ever! Period!!!

This is a very very sad day for me...

RIP Beautiful Maestro Maurice White. You were All About Love!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

The first EWF song I remember hearing was their cover of "Where have all the Flowers Gone?". IMO, they knocked it out of the park.

Of course, under his leadership, the band went on to write, compose and record their own masterpieces and produce for others too. RIP Mr. White. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Analogholic said it all:

He made the world a better place. And that's what it's really all about isn't it?

Maurice White was a very talented performer and more importantly a very, very good man which resonated through the music he and EWF made over the years.

I recently saw them perform twice w/ Phillip Bailey on lead vocals and they are really carrying on his tradition. They leave their audiences every night with a great feeling and wanting more.

And that's really another thing it's all about also.

RIP Maurice.

Archived