Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I was able to play with Billy Joel at a Q&A few months back

LarsHarner

Hello, I wanted to share a video of me playing Honesty while Billy Joel sang at the New Yorker festival a few months ago. He has been my main musical influence for 37 years and his music got me to start playing the piano in the first place.

(My second influence is Micheal Nesmith and I was going to play guitar until I heard My Life and then got the 52nd Street album)

Every few years he does a audience Q&A and this time I was fortunate enough to be able to get on stage with him. This was my life long dream and I am still in a state of shock it happened.

At the time I was going up to NYC for several different concerts (his, ans Steely Dan), and those trips inspired me to purchase my recent Kawai ES8 as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic experience and job for you and for Billy!

I don't know how he looks at it, but the smile on your face to me would be priceless. How amazing to have influenced so many pianists, song writers and fans - and to experience first hand their joy every time you take the stage or let them sit in! Awesome.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Fantastic! Good job and very relaxed. My fingers would be shaking so hard...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

That is awesome!!! I mean not many of us ever get to do something like that, let alone accompany a legend as he sings about the virtues of sodomy!!! :laugh:

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Your composure is incredible. My heart would have been pounding through my mouth.

Well done!

Without a doubt! I noticed this off the bat! You nailed that song! Billy couldn't of looked any more prouder :)

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Wow! That's fantastic!

I never got to play behind him, but back on 10/8/78 I worked road crew for his concert and played a couple tunes on his piano during tear-down. I must have "not sucked" 'cause nobody shoo'd me away from it. :)

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Thanks everyone! I had been trying for several years as I had been to a few Q&A's but had never been called on. Vonnor- that is a cool story - was he in Toledo that night? That was about the time give or take within a month later that I started listening to him.

A week before the Q&A I saw him at MSG- it was surreal even seeing him in a room of 500 people.

Oddly enough, two weeks earlier he did a Q&A with Don Henley, and I told him afterwards I had seen him like 73 times to which he said "You need to get out more often!"- I replied with "I am ! I am seeing you next Saturday and the Sunday after that!"

One time he played the Blue Note in 2002 as part of a Toots Theilman birthday celebration. He did a few songs; Kenny Werner and his trio were the band that evening and they were excellent. I did get a picture with Billy that night and after he left I played some of Baby Grand on the Bosendorfer they had before management kicked me off!

This is pretty funny too... BJ used to do all these amazing impersonations including Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, Bruce Springsteen, and the guy at the end of this clip...

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Great video Lars! It put a big smile on my face. :) Congratulations!!

Your video made me laugh, HammondDave....He really does sound like the guy at the end of the clip. :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

...was he in Toledo that night?

Yessir. Centennial Hall, University of Toledo. I was volunteering with the Student Facilities and Services committee who provided grunts to the road crew. I got backstage for the whole show, which was almost as fun as actually playing his piano. :)

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Archived