Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ opinions on Hammond XK3

bennyray

I was looking at some ads and run across a Hammond XK3 for $650 in GC. I know this is a good deal but do not really know the differences between XK3C and XK3 other than improved leslie sim on the XK3C and C/V differences but the price is really good. Looking for some input to really make sure this is a good deal. I would have to get a vent or would a used SK1 be better? The action would be better on the XK3 from what i understand. I saw a video of Jim Alfredson demoing the differences between the XK3 and XK3C. He had the XK3 sounding great but that is Jim. CEB could chime cause he has the XK3C. Thanks for reading the post and looking forward to comments from the organ players on the forum. :2thu:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both.

The action is the same.

The XK3c has a tonewheel set that sounds good and is not on the XK3, but the XK3 can holds its own.

You definitely want the Vent with the XK3 as the internal leslie sim is not very good.

If you are never going to use a lower manual, the XK3 will suffice.

If you are going to control any external MIDI devices, the XK3c is better.

That's a pretty good price for the XK3.

$650 is a good price. The action is nice enough. The new lower manual should fit the XK3. The C/V is not very good on either. The Leslie sim on the XK3 isn't so hot. The XK3c is better but I still miss the Vent when I don't use it. It has a built in 11-pin connector kit. I installed Jim's XK3 tonewheel set on my XK3c. It helps with the shrillness of the upper tonebars.

The XK3c has a better leslie sim.

The XK3c is a better MIDI controller. (c stands for computer) You can assign MIDI profile templates to the preset keys.

Both are VASE III sound engines.

$650 plus the cost of a Mini Vent is decent rig. Gives you expandable options, a 2nd manual, pedals, etc....

It is somewhat heavy.

Depends on what you want. If you want to play twin manual organ for less than $1000 I would consider it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

^^^

This.

I think, as far as the action goes, you'd be better off with the SK1.

That's a tough call, I am sure you're going to find people... well, me being one, that prefer the feel of the XK3/XK3c keyboard over the TP-8O. But then there is this modded TP-8O in the new Mojo's that a few guys are liking.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Use it with a real/vintage leslie for best results! (via 1122 or 1147 kit depending).

The Bad:

- C/V, wish it was more editable (if even just a simple "amount/mix". Dropped the ball there).

- No upper/lower C/V switches, only On/Off for both manuals.

*XK3c does have switching for upper and lower.

- Percussion isn't like a real hammond (decent though, and quite editable at least).

- Key-Click is "ok" at best.

The Good:

- Layout, the main reason I choose to use it.

* Built my own lower manual (like XLK3) installed 1122 in that, gained 3rd DB set for LWR man in the process. Added contact-less MIDI to real 25-note B3 pedalboard. Done, portable rig to use if needed.

- Vase sounds pretty good, editable tonewheels. The drive is useful.

- Fun to play, built pretty well, solid.

Add a Vent and go for it. The only negative as already mentioned is the less than pleasing C/V. The C/V on my XM2 is the same as the XK3 and quite frankly I don't like it. The C/V on my Voce V5+ is better.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I would need to get Jim Alfredson's tonewheel set for the XK3. He had the organ sounding very good in the video.

Yes, this makes a big difference from the factory tonewheel set on the XK3.

Add a Vent and go for it. The only negative as already mentioned is the less than pleasing C/V.

and there you have it :2thu:

:nopity:

I just looked on e bay and there are a couple Numa 1's for around 1000 dollars.

I don't need a friggin' "Vent" with mine and I have no beef with the CV on it either.

I have been an advocate for the Numa 1 for some time. I have had mine for 5 years now with no issues.

I would also be looking at the Gemini module if I could find a good light controller. That's about it for what I like to hear.

I still think either can hold its own, even now. It never got a lot of respect on the forums but one time I posted a clip of me playing it in 2008 and people didn't know it wasn't a real console go figure.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Bottom line, run don't walk and pick this bad boy up. Now. Even if you don't like it you can easily sell it and make a few bucks.

As to the sounds. We don't know how picky you are but if you've read these forums much when it comes to Hammonds there's guys here who are extremely picky. I think I know as much about a B3 as anybody, played them for years and I'm telling you put this XK3 into a band situation and all these little nitpicks go right out the window.

You mentioned Jim Alfredson. He has a couple of older vids comparing the XK3 with his real B. This is before the 3c came out. You can't tell the difference at all. Period. The C/V is fine, the percussion is fine, the feel and overall sound is very good. The only difference of course is with the leslie. None of the older clones does as good a job emulating a real leslie as the BURN or Vent but again on stage with a band you might well think the XK3's leslie sim is good enough. It's still a pretty nice Hammond clone. Oh, since it says Hammond on it I guess it's not really a clone?

Finally, after the new Spacestation came out and I bought one, I have to qualify anything I write about how good a keyboard sounds by saying it completely depends on what you are playing it through. The right amp makes all the difference and the wrong one will kill the sound of the best clone ever built.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Bottom line, run don't walk and pick this bad boy up. Now. Even if you don't like it you can easily sell it and make a few bucks.

As to the sounds. We don't know how picky you are but if you've read these forums much when it comes to Hammonds there's guys here who are extremely picky. I think I know as much about a B3 as anybody, played them for years and I'm telling you put this XK3 into a band situation and all these little nitpicks go right out the window.

You mentioned Jim Alfredson. He has a couple of older vids comparing the XK3 with his real B. This is before the 3c came out. You can't tell the difference at all. Period. The C/V is fine, the percussion is fine, the feel and overall sound is very good. The only difference of course is with the leslie. None of the older clones does as good a job emulating a real leslie as the BURN or Vent but again on stage with a band you might well think the XK3's leslie sim is good enough. It's still a pretty nice Hammond clone. Oh, since it says Hammond on it I guess it's not really a clone?

Finally, after the new Spacestation came out and I bought one, I have to qualify anything I write about how good a keyboard sounds by saying it completely depends on what you are playing it through. The right amp makes all the difference and the wrong one will kill the sound of the best clone ever built.

Bob

+1

Check the tubes in it and if they are still the original current manufacture (Russian or Chinese) find some old 50's/60's era tubes and throw them in.

Theres a few things to do to make the xk3/c "better". As mentioned, put Jim A's tonewheel setup in, makes it sound beefier. I struggled initially with the trigger point being too high, I did the "reset" and changed it to low trigger point , a much more pleasing playing experience. Change out the tubes with NOS 60's tubes, definetly improves the OD, back off the LPF on the key click which will take the harsh edge off, and you will have a nice Hammond to play. Yeah, the C/V is not great especially with a vent, but put this boy through a 122 / 147 and it sounds great. I have an sk2 and an xk3c/xlk and I do enjoy playing the xk3 setup more, it feels "right" , it feels like Im playing a Hammond organ, not a keyboard with drawbars.....just my opinion..

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I have a Voce V5+ and the Hammond XM2 (XK1 in a rack). Lately Ive been using the Voce V5+ because I like the V/C better than the XM2 and for some reason the Voce seems to cut through the mix better than the XM2. The Voce is also mellower, closer to the mellowness of my 57 B3. This past weekend we had a gig and I decided to go with the XM2. I still find the C3 V/C not very serviceable, so I backed off to C2 and then to C1. If the C/V were upgradable I probably would use it more. But the C11#9 on Pick up the Pieces at the beginning of the song, that does sound like the washy C3 C/V that I hear from the XM2. I pair the XM2 with the Vent and would only use the internal leslie in an emergency.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

best price I've ever seen/heard, they are usually twice that much.

I just bought one 2 weeks ago to use as a controller for my HX3 module. :thu:

This!

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

best price I've ever seen/heard, they are usually twice that much.

I just bought one 2 weeks ago to use as a controller for my HX3 module. :thu:

This!

;-)

thanks to you, brother MG :2thu::cheers:

:nopity:

Archived