Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC specs.... Building my new monster...

dalpozlead

In my day job we have been relying on SSD's in a server environment for more than 4 years now with zero failures. In my personal machines I use Samsung Pro SSD's with a 10 year warranty.

But that is a small sample - Amazon Web Services - currently the largest web hosting service have shifted to SSD for all their server farms.

Conversely hard drives in 2 of 5 identical laptops we have purchased in the past 12 months have failed within warranty.

My point is that I don't believe the failure rate of 'quality' SSD's is any higher than for 'quality' HDD's. HDD manufacturers are battling to keep market share as SSD's become ubiquitous in the tablet, and increasingly the laptop market. HDD prices keep coming down but I suspect at the expense of quality.

FireWire has always been optional in the Windows world. By all means include it but make sure the vendor of your FW devices are committed to providing driver updates for future versions of Windows. If it becomes unsupported it is a peripheral not core item like a CPU.

I have never had any issues with USB 2.0 for midi or audio on Windows or OSX. But I look forward to whatever speed advantages peripheral manufacturers can come up with using Thunderbolt or USB 3.0. Bi-directional flow to intelligent controllers would be a nice start.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to a time when Thunderbolt is truly supported in the Windows PC world.

I've never had an SSD fail in a Mac. Out of 4 Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GGB drives installed in Windows computers I had 2 to fail within a year. It is a small sample, but very aggravating.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I just assisted one of my clients in purchase of this (refurbished):

HP Z-book 17

Full support for Thunderbolt 2. This is a high-end HP notebook, the earlier version has Thunderbolt 1. So it would seem that HP, at least, is adding the protocol to their devices.

Personal level: I do have a 240 G SSD in a HP Netbook (originally a 250 G SATA HD). Made by Crucial, who I trust in general for memory. After the budget recovers a bit, I'll get a 500 G or 1 TB SSD for my Macbook Pro i7. Both the added speed and the shock resistance are great for notebooks.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Get a "named brand" SSD (like Crucial or Samsung) and you'll be fine. My music PC has had a 128GB SSD for the OS for 4 years with no problems, and my day job computer has been rocking 3 of various capacities for the last 3 years. They've been hammered running heavyweight VMs 5 days a week for that time without issue.

Some of the "brand" ones are cheap, and not necessarily up to keeping their bits together when a lot of data is written, there are some recent improved architectures that are less error-prone.

With all the DIY projects: use an antistatic work space, don't touch any electrical contact surfaces (or wear gloves) and make sure case temperature around the disks is low.

T.

Everyone, many many thanks for so many replies and tips!

I`ve decided to keep my current Sony Vaio (i5) and upgrade it with a new SSD and + 8GB RAM (total now is 16 GB).

The extra money I`d use to buy another machine was used to get a copy of Omnisphere 2 and an external audio interface.

Mail should come in the next days with the installation DVDs...

I`ll install the VST next weekend!

Thanks again!

I maxed out the RAM and moved to an SSD in my 2011 iMac. This thing is SO FAST now. Photoshop opens almost faster than you can type "Photoshop".

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived