Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I'm not gonna get a Roland Boutique Module...

Morizzle

... 'cause GAS got the better of me and I finally ordered a Prophet 6 :blush:

I've been going back and forth for about a year about this now and finally decided to follow through with it. There are some exciting projects coming up in the future where the Proph (that's how the cool people call it, ya know) will be very useful, most of all, however, I think I just caved in to the massive GAS I've had for this thing since I caught glimpse of the first announcements.

I never got to love the Nord Leads 2 and 4 I had, hoping this one is the right fit :laugh:

Of course, as we all know, after that I'm never buying a keyboard again. :keys2:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... 'cause GAS got the better of me and I finally ordered a Prophet 6 :blush:

Of course, as we all know, after that I'm never buying a keyboard again. :keys2:

Dito !

:2thu:

The Prophet 6 is amazing !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Yay, it arrived today!

I spent a few hours playing through 320 of 500 presets :freak: Not so fond of many of the preprogrammed blips and blops, I guess this beast is for rolling your own.

The basic sound of the Prophet is very full and very warm! I was wary about a bunch of other DSI synths I heard, they always had some sort of coldness IMO, but not this one.

I like the built-in distortion, very useable and in my ears nicer than the Overload function on the Little Phatty.

Turned some knobs and such... I absolutely suck at synthesis, so I'm gonna have some learnin' to do over the next years. Looking forward to that!

What a great instrument. It's surprisingly heavy but very solid, great build quality (as you could expect for the price). The action is way better than the Moog's. Not to mention the atrocious Roland FA action I've played a lot in the last few months. Though I think my favorite synth action remains the one that's used in the Motif XS6.

Anyway, that synth is going to stay, I'm looking forward to digging deeper over the next months.

Here's a short track I did today with 3 slightly altered presets: soundcloud snippet

(sigh) If only it had a full-length keyboard...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

... I absolutely suck at synthesis, so I'm gonna have some learnin' to do over the next years. Looking forward to that!

Then this is a good choice. Throw on some headphones, put it in panel mode, and start tweaking. Try to split your time between blindly exploring what knobs do, and trying to zero in on target sounds.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've had mine for a few months now. A couple tips... Upgrade the OS and download the OMOM (Old Men of Midi) soundset (300 more patches to fill 0-300 while your factory bank remains untouched from 500-999). Both of those are on the Dave Smith website. Watch all of Marc Doty's Prophet 6 videos on youtube. They're very helpful for getting a quick overview of the synth. The manual is fairly short and an easy read too. You'll also want to pick up the soundtower editor (link on the Dave Smith site too) which will allow you to reverse engineer some of your favorite patches. Finding my favorite patches and then reverse engineering has taught me a lot about synthesis. Good luck! I'm absolutely loving mine.

Upgrade the OS and download the OMOM (Old Men of Midi) soundset (300 more patches to fill 0-300 while your factory bank remains untouched from 500-999). Both of those are on the Dave Smith website. Watch all of Marc Doty's Prophet 6 videos on youtube. They're very helpful for getting a quick overview of the synth. The manual is fairly short and an easy read too. You'll also want to pick up the soundtower editor (link on the Dave Smith site too) which will allow you to reverse engineer some of your favorite patches. Finding my favorite patches and then reverse engineering has taught me a lot about synthesis. Good luck! I'm absolutely loving mine.

:thu: Thanks!

Archived