Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Used Roland RD700SX

Jasonbass32

i have been looking to add a weighted action board to my studio setup. To play software and sounds from the Integra 7. Currently I have a numa compact which is ok semi weighted keys. I find the touch is nice but the lack of weight causes me to hit some bad notes. So I have returned to playing piano mostly on my electro sw 73. The touch is terrible but I play more consistently on It, probably because there is more resistance. I have come across a used RD700sx in supposedly excellent condition, still has original packaging, for $600. I was considering the obvious choice, Casio PX5s, or possibly a good weighted comptroller like the new studiologic sl88 that is coming out. But this used Roland has me thinking. I would have to drive over an hour to see it. What do you guys think? Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sure. There would be plenty of slab stage pianos to choose from over the last 10 years that you could pick up for a good price. The RD700sx is going to have the same or very similar action to the 800. I've played the 800 a bunch of times, it's firmer with that "oiled gear" feeling the high end Roland stage pianos have. Very playable and musical. You can get some nice dynamic range happening, especially for solo piano. The sounds on these are quite good too, you may not even want to carry the Integra with you.

Here's a comparison video. Language is a barrier for me on it. But I get the idea, and you can hear the two instruments and see how he digs into the actions.

[video:youtube]

The PX-5S is going to be lighter (weight), and I would say the action is good for the price, but would be a bit lighter (the action I mean) than the RD700sx. Sound wise, I am sure you would be happy with either. User interface wise, I would have to say if you are familiar with Roland stuff in general, that would be easier.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I would jump on it. I have used an RD 700 (original) for 10+ years the action has held up rather well for ,my hard playing. I have replaced the middle cages once and that is real good for me. The action is easily repaired and you could replace the trays and felt for under $100 if it is worn out not a hard job and it wold play like brand new. Most RD700's I see are around $800-$1100.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I still use mine as a controller and occasional sound source. $600 is a good price. The only issues I've had

are dead/single velocity notes, easily remedied by cleaning the contacts, and buttons that require a little more pressure than they use to.

That's a good price, and it will be a terrific controller for your Integra-7. Just make sure all the keys are responding evenly to velocity and have at it.

You might consider running the RD700SX audio into the Integra-7's audio ins and making some combined Setups. The Integra-7 probably has better versions of all those sounds, but you can have a pad from the RD layered with an Integra Piano and use the RD's volume slider to vary the balance.

i have been looking to add a weighted action board to my studio setup. To play software and sounds from the Integra 7. Currently I have a numa compact which is ok semi weighted keys. I find the touch is nice but the lack of weight causes me to hit some bad notes. So I have returned to playing piano mostly on my electro sw 73. The touch is terrible but I play more consistently on It, probably because there is more resistance. I have come across a used RD700sx in supposedly excellent condition, still has original packaging, for $600. I was considering the obvious choice, Casio PX5s, or possibly a good weighted comptroller like the new studiologic sl88 that is coming out. But this used Roland has me thinking. I would have to drive over an hour to see it. What do you guys think? Thanks.

I owned the sx then the GX board. I always liked the feel of these DP's. I thought the 'setup ' menus on the sx/gx were very useful.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

If I am not mistaken, the 700SX has the same acoustic piano sample as the RD300 GX and the FP-7, which is the Roland Superior Grand.

In my estimation, this a better and warmer sounding sample than the current run of "Supernatural" pianos.

If it has the same Rhodes as the 300GX and FP-4, another big plus. Once again, it is warmer and less edgy than the Supernatural stuff.

I have never actually played the 700SX, but if it has the same acoustic and Rhodes that my RD300Gx has you might not need the Integra.Those samples were among the best Roland ever did.

That's a good price, and it will be a terrific controller for your Integra-7. Just make sure all the keys are responding evenly to velocity and have at it.

You might consider running the RD700SX audio into the Integra-7's audio ins and making some combined Setups. The Integra-7 probably has better versions of all those sounds, but you can have a pad from the RD layered with an Integra Piano and use the RD's volume slider to vary the balance.

^^^^

oh, yes.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I owned the sx then the GX board. I always liked the feel of these DP's. I thought the 'setup ' menus on the sx/gx were very useful.

Exact situation and opinion here. I was able to sell my SX for $1500 when I got my GX. $600 is a STEAL for that keyboard if it's like new. Good luck!

Had both the sx and gx..Great boards, thats a great price, just check what people are mentioning about evenness, although I never had that issue w/either. Pretty tough boards.

Then again u could do the PX5 and the Integra and have a lighter board to carry if the need arises.

Archived