Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kronos 2015 vs used original kronos-advice needed

fjzingo

You Kronos experts out there,

Thinking about complementing my rig with a Kronos, there are some first generation out there and from what I understand there isn't an enormous difference between the models apart from price, original Kronos is half the price. What do I get when buying a new one that is not included in the original?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you plan to get a hammer action version and play a lot of piano parts it may be worth it to get the new version. I have an original 61 synth action version which is fine for me because I use it mostly for synth, organ, and other ROMpler parts. Because of the problem of retrogressing notes on the earliest model I would be careful about getting an early model hammer action Kronos.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

31 GB SSD vs 62GB SSD

1 GB RAM vs 2 GB

Wood end caps, The Berlin Grand, Tilted Screen,

If you buy a new one you can download some free sounds from the Korg store which I downloaded but have not installed yet. You can buy the Berlin Grand as part of a $250 sound pack.

You can upgrade RAM and Drive and install the new OS and be close to a Kronos 2.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There is a significant difference between the 3 models in terms of RAM memory, SSD capacity and included libraries. From what I gather there were important improvements made to the synth's hardware for the 2nd "X" generation - you'll note that used "X's" usually aren't as heavily discounted as the first generation. The current 3rd generation has a new motherboard design but I think it's just a matter of using currently available parts.

If you're willing to upgrade the SSD and RAM then it's just a matter of paying for those additional libraries. In my case I knew I wasn't going to have the time or energy to do hours of surgery on the board so I went for a floor model of the latest 61, which I adore.

I have the original Kronos, have NOT upgraded the RAM or SSD, and haven't needed to. The ability to stream user samples helps a lot with the RAM. But I don't load large sample libraries either, I use the VA and other modeling engines as much as possible and sample as a last resort - usually just for sound effects...noises and stuff.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I use the synth engines as much as possible because saving your sample files is a ridiculous pain in the ass. :laugh:

I use the synth engines as much as possible because saving your sample files is a ridiculous pain in the ass. :laugh:

+1

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have the original Kronos, have NOT upgraded the RAM or SSD, and haven't needed to. The ability to stream user samples helps a lot with the RAM. But I don't load large sample libraries either, I use the VA and other modeling engines as much as possible and sample as a last resort - usually just for sound effects...noises and stuff.

I'm with JD to an extent - I have a first generation and I only upgraded the RAM.

I do use loaded samples and it isn't a problem.

If you can get a 1st gen model cheap or an X I would do it - the rest is not going to impinge on your ability to play unless you do something really esoteric.

R

Alan

And the keyboard is just fine.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Had the same dilemma and bought the Kronos 2015 88. Want parts to be available on the long run and avoid any of the potential early Kronos problems (keys etc). Also the hardware feels a bit more sturdy to me - fine for transport without having to worry about the keys. Keybed is excellent on the k2 . Could have saved me lots of $$ with a used k88, but since it's my main machine and I will spend much money on it anyway , I'd thought it was better to go for the latest and best model. Don't regret it. Just my opinion. By the way - it looks great ;-)

I recently bought a used Kronos X for 2500 (88 key version) it comes with a 128Gb 2nd SSD, software version 3.01, 4 GB of memmory (only 3 usable) and for over $3000 of ESXs, a hard case, pedals, cables, etc etc...nand all in mint condition only used in a homestudio

I think it was a bargain....

And i allready bought a backup mainboard, with memmory and cpu for under 100 as spare...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

I would go for the new K2 as parts will be hard to find for older Kronos plus you get the new sounds and i have a K2 88 and have considered getting a Kronos 61 as a backup but i want a Hammmond SK1. Good luck in your decisiion.

I have the original Kronos, have NOT upgraded the RAM or SSD, and haven't needed to.

+1

Additionally, you can upgrade the OS to be current with the new model, download all of burningbush's programs, and quite frankly, I haven't heard any audio of the Berlin grand that makes me want to jump up and down.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Mine is quiet. I don't even know if it has a fan. The entire top rear panel is ventilated.

+1

+2

What's the problem guys?

- You bring in you samples/multisamples or SF2 and convert

- Save using SAVE SAMPLE DATA

- It creates _UserBank.KSC

- Load the _UserBank.KSC and you're good AND/OR

- Add the _UserBank.KSC to your AUTOLOAD

- OR if you can't handle that, with 3.0 go to the Program and select LOAD REQUIRED SAMPLES and it will find and load them for you.

Have done probably 100+ conversions of sample libraries plus a ton of my own. Yes, there can be glitches with conversions but have rarely found anything not doable. Have worked with Roland, Yamaha, Nord, Akai and Kurzweil and would take the Kronos for sampling any day of the week.

Busch.

If you have a old model Kronos with the 3.02 OS update there are fan control settings that will let you cut the fan off completely if desired. Having said that i have a friend that is a computer technician that has a Kronos and he thinks the reason for the ventilation on the new Kronos was due in part to heat causing problems in some Kronos and X models. Something to consider when purchasing older Kronos but i know some people have never had problems with their older Kronos. Catch 22

If you have a old model Kronos with the 3.02 OS update there are fan control settings that will let you cut the fan off completely if desired. Having said that i have a friend that is a computer technician that has a Kronos and he thinks the reason for the ventilation on the new Kronos was due in part to heat causing problems in some Kronos and X models. Something to consider when purchasing older Kronos but i know some people have never had problems with their older Kronos. Catch 22

Maybe it's a Korg thing, my D1600Mkii recorder had a loud fan in it also, it would turn off when you hit the record button, but other that that it would stay on. Yes there was an option to disable it, but I was afraid that it might overheat. I guess I'd have that same reservation with disabling the fan on the older model of Kronos.

Paul

Original Kronos:

- Comes with base RAM 2GB (~1GB available for samples though most used by factory samples). You can put in another RAM stick giving you an additional 1GB of user samples

- 31GB SSD. You can add second SSD

KronosX

- Comes with full RAM

- Comes with 62GB SSD. User can add second SSD

Kronos2

- Wood side panels

- Ventilated top to aid in cooling allowing user to run fan on slow or even off

- Slimmer case, though somewhat heavier.

- Comes with full RAM, 62GB SSD

- Comes with EXs17 Berlin Grand; EXs18 Collections; KRS07 Sound Pack

- Includes free download to EXs19 KApro Private Collection.

All Kronos can be upgraded to the latest OS, so in essence all can have the exact functionality.

Busch.

If you have a old model Kronos with the 3.02 OS update there are fan control settings that will let you cut the fan off completely if desired.

With OS 3.0, Pre-Kronos 2 have settings of AUTO and SLOW. I believe Kronos 2 settings are AUTO, SLOW and OFF. The vented top of the Kronos 2 is a factor. Prior to OS 3.0 there were no fan options available, it ran in the equivalent of AUTO.

Busch.

If you have a old model Kronos with the 3.02 OS update there are fan control settings that will let you cut the fan off completely if desired.

With OS 3.0, Pre-Kronos 2 have settings of AUTO and SLOW. I believe Kronos 2 settings are AUTO, SLOW and OFF. The vented top of the Kronos 2 is a factor. Prior to OS 3.0 there were no fan options available, it ran in the equivalent of AUTO.

Busch.

Rodger That!

Thanks

Paul

What's the problem guys?

- You bring in you samples/multisamples or SF2 and convert

- Save using SAVE SAMPLE DATA

- It creates _UserBank.KSC

- Load the _UserBank.KSC and you're good AND/OR

- Add the _UserBank.KSC to your AUTOLOAD

- OR if you can't handle that, with 3.0 go to the Program and select LOAD REQUIRED SAMPLES and it will find and load them for you.

Have done probably 100+ conversions of sample libraries plus a ton of my own. Yes, there can be glitches with conversions but have rarely found anything not doable. Have worked with Roland, Yamaha, Nord, Akai and Kurzweil and would take the Kronos for sampling any day of the week.

Busch.

I was left traumatized from working hours on my first sample based combis only to come back the next day to find it not there. :laugh:

Next week I will be doing some more sample work. (Turn Down for What and doing a bunch of EDM build-ups). I hope I remember how to save everything still.

Busch, you do it all the time and have it down to a science. For somebody who only occasionally needs to do a sample, it's really easy to miss a step and end up having your old samples disappear, or be there but no longer associated with your programs, and other things...besides the fact that there are extra steps involved to create a multisample from the sample, then a program from the multi sample, get it saved PROPERLY and add to autoload, as opposed to just doing it in one of the other engines and being done. Yes, it's gotten a lot better with the update that uses _userbanks, so long as you remember that if you want to append a sample file, you have to go through the step to load those samples into memory first, or else when you save it they'll be gone forever.

Dan

Busch, you do it all the time and have it down to a science. For somebody who only occasionally needs to do a sample, it's really easy to miss a step and end up having your old samples disappear, or be there but no longer associated with your programs, and other things...besides the fact that there are extra steps involved to create a multisample from the sample, then a program from the multi sample, get it saved PROPERLY and add to autoload, as opposed to just doing it in one of the other engines and being done. Yes, it's gotten a lot better with the update that uses _userbanks, so long as you remember that if you want to append a sample file, you have to go through the step to load those samples into memory first, or else when you save it they'll be gone forever.

ALL samplers, Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil, Korg, Akai, Native Instruments, etc. use nearly identical concepts with regards to sampling.

- You have a sample (or zone NI and Akai I believe)

- You have a meaningful collection of samples/zones (multisamples/groups)

- You have a program where you bring together the multisamples and add instrument-level filters, amp envelopes, FXs, etc.

- Because even streaming-based samplers need to load a part into RAM you have the concept of an AUTOLOAD file that automates this.

I honestly don't know how you get around this if the goal is to create even a semi-sophisticated sample-based instrument. Maybe the Alesis Fusion had a different concept but I find it hard to believe a radically simpler format would support multi-zones and multi-velocity layers and be able to load on the fly.

Busch.

Concerning the fan - my K2/88 makes quite some noise /hum. Hear it even on headphones. If you set the fan to off its gone. I already requested a new fan from the distributor , but got no respond so far.

Another thing I noticed yesterday is that the dail wheel doesn't run entirely free (some scratching at a certai angle when you turn it) ; how do other K2 owners rate the dail ?

Knobs and buttons all have a good feel - dail wheel isn't in the same league . Any opinions welcome.

Last item I'd like to see different : the LEDs on the buttons - they are so bright , it blinds off all text around the button. Can't read what the buttons do due to these bright LEDs. Is that normal for a K2 ?

Overall I love the K2 , but these few issues annoy me (from more -fan- to less - LEDs)

Archived