Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Styx keyboard player Lawrence Gowan

bennyray

is very good. Was watching a special on MTV and saw him doing some of the synth leads with his left hand very fast and precise. Just wondering what kind of keyboard he is playing? I looked on Wikipedia and said he was from Canada and taken classical piano as well. I used to listen to the band back in the 80s just curious on the keyboard being used. Thanks for any info.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's very good, but when I watch him with Styx it is somewhat annoying. I guess it's because he's hotdogging so much and he wasn't the original player, and didn't write the songs. I almost get the feeling he's making fun of Dennis Deyoung at times by playing the solos backward lefthanded without looking I guess....

For all I know he's an awesome dude, loves Styx's music and is a joy to play with, it's just the impression I got watching the Palladia special.

(Also, was that a Roland V8-M he was using for organ? :D)

He's a really cool guy. Met him years ago at a Journey/Styx show.

He was classically trained and can run both right and left hand with ease.

If you get a chance, check out some of his solo albums and works with various orchestras.

As Tony says, he's using an RD700, and many VSTs.

That is a Roland organ module he uses.

As far as his sometimes over the top showmanship, he mentioned once in an interview that Styx is his outlet for such behavior, and he's just having fun.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I thought he was using VST's. I liked some of the synth sounds but some were fake sounding to my ear. I personally prefer hardware synths over software sounds. I guess thats ol' school in me. He may be as good or better that Dennis but Dennis was better at writing skills. I was so impressed with his left hand doing the parts and some backwards at that. They were one of my favorites back in the day.

You may be right i kind of was watching close and thought the same thing but my feelings were they are a live band but i looked and thought some of the vocal parts were a little too perfect but hard to say. He did so many parts on 1 keyboard that seemed almost impossible at least for me.

The guy is a great performer and player.

Left hand solos aren't so much due to classical training, but in his case I am sure Bach and others played a part.

More like Oscar Petersen, Bill Evans and scores of other performers that actually use 2 hands.

An amazing concept in this day and age where the left hand is the Mod Wheel/PBend controller, and trigger for the Sequencer.

When I saw them last the synths were a combination of virtual and rack mounted hardware.

When 2 guys have access to the same racks it's hard to tell.

But these days I can think of a few native and DSP based synths that sound as good as hardware analog.

Someday one might sound as good as my 96k processed Solaris.

When that day comes, I'll be more than happy to stick it in the studio with the rack mounted analogs I've replaced.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

does someone have a video link to the mentioned TV programme?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Dig the stand...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cW04oQ680

Here comes the name drop; the shameless plug, look out...sorry...

I did an arrangement last week for Graham Nash to perform with this same orch in June.

Very cool...

My favorite performance from this particular show is :

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

We opened for Styx last year and Larry does a fabulous job and has a lot of fun doing it. The show was awesome and he is a great player and a nice guy!!!!!!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Don't forget, he had a successful solo career in the late 80s as Gowan. Strange Animal, Awake The Giant, etc.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

He's very good, but when I watch him with Styx it is somewhat annoying. I guess it's because he's hotdogging so much

This - shiny silver "look at my ass" pants, ridiculous poses, facial expressions right out of "Zoolander"... Still, I shook his hand after the show.

OK, I admit it: he's 8 years older than me and has a better ass. You got me.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

For reference, that's a Roland RD-700NX piano with a VK-8M organ module and possibly other modules.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived