Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It is here. It is shipping out today

CEB

And just think: now you will never need to buy another keyboard ever.

BWAA HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH! I told my wife that one in the 1970s. :roll::deadhorse::rolleyes::poke::cop:

Well that explains why you are still playing that stupid old Hammond. Get with the times, already. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/images/smilies/hiding.gif

YESSSSS! :P

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK this is really cool.

Wait until you have a few weeks or months under your belt. I think they did a pretty good job making the basic parameters accessible but still having the ability to dive REALLY deep.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It is pretty simple with occasional curve balls here and there. Sampling is more complicated than I am used to but I got my Combi for Uptown Funk done. I'm using Bill's sampled Doos and I programmed a pitch build and picked out a poly preset that works. We have a horn section. I have tomorrow's setlist setup but this band is most Piano, EPs, Clavs, etc. Mostly single voices. I get into setting up the Pop band stuff I may have more challenges.

Synth programming interfaced are cool.

The Berlin Grand has character but I am using the Japanese Grand for everything. Some sounds I like better on the Yamaha (EPs and clavs) but I have only heard this board through cans. I will know more tomorrow night.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I won't be using the CX-3 in this band. It isn't bad. I like it better than the Yamaha. I will use it in the pop band. I found a couple of presets that will do. Overall I don't care for the CV on the CX3 but it is much better than Yamaha. Organ is my main voice in this band. I play a Hammond XK3c through a Vent.... I don't like the C/V on it either. :).

EPs don't bark like my Yamaha but the effects on the Korg are way better. I haven't gotten deep with it. Just picking preset programs for my tunes.

Another quick tip: when you do the "Copy From Program" Busch taught you, it will also copy in a Stereo Limiter that was used used by the DrumTrack, which you don't need. You can look at the IFX tab and see nothing is routed into it. So use the upper RH Menu command to cut that IFX slot out, each time you do the copy from command. This recovers an IFX slot for you to use.

There's also a very cool command for cleaning up IFX slots so you move them all together, shuffling the unused ones to the bottom.

IFX can be shared by as many timbres as you want, so sometimes I'll route a second or third timbre into an existing chain, and it can be at any point in the chain... Cool for blending multiple timbres into a cohesive horn section, for example. Enjoy it!

Jerry

The EPs really bark when you get it dialed in. There a few sites where you can download some new EPs for free. My EPs bite more than bark. I had to tweak mine a little to get them where is was satisfied. I layered a few organ patches in Combi and the sound real fat but the Hammond XK3 is very good. For some EPs i use the bass cabinet and there many settings that will make your EPs bark. I rarely use factory patches now that i have put in many hours of work to tweak the sounds to my liking.

EPs don't bark like my Yamaha but the effects on the Korg are way better. I haven't gotten deep with it.

I've discussed this before. While I like the Wurly sounds for some stuff, when you really need them to bark, it's hard to get. Interestingly, I found changing the velocity response helped a little, but unfortunately, I didn't like that response for anything else and it can only be set globally. Also interesting is that when I played an SV-1, it seemed like it had good bark - maybe due to the tube? Ive tried Amp Sim IFX's but they aren't very good, IMO. Still, it's a pretty decent EP, especially when you need the chorus or tremelo.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Is it true that the EP-1 is a modeled engine and not sample based like on the Yamaha boards or the Korg SV-1? The literature is a little unclear, suggesting the oscillator might be samples but using a synth engine to tailor the sound. However, the term modeling comes up often, which to me suggests something different like pianoteq or physis piano where they are using mathematical physical models to simulate the sound.

Are there alternative EP samples in the ROM on the Kronos that are tailored for bark and bite?.

I've gotten decent results with other modeled EPs like Logic's EVP or Lounge Lizard, both of which I find sound very very similar. I'm pretty sure Yamaha's CP1 is using a modeling engine as well.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yes, there is a modeling engine (EP-1) but also presets from MOD-7 (FM) and some samples. Surley a good sample set could be added if someone wanted to take the time, but it wouldn't be tweak able like the EP-1 engine, which has other really nice features, despite the lack of bite.

Dan

Some sounds I like better on the Yamaha (EPs and clavs) but I have only heard this board through cans. I will know more tomorrow night.

That's interesting - the whole reason I was looking at Kronos are EP's... Which Yamaha EP's you like the most?

Bill Busch has created some excellent sampled keys for the Kronos - check the Korg shop here:

https://shop.korg.com/kronosSoundLibraries

His company is Purgatory Creek.

I believe he has 16 layers sampled, so you craft a sound that offers whatever you want.

His clavinet source, IMNSHO is absolutely required... there is nothing even close to the character and natural sound in the factory ROM.

Jerry

Does the Kronos use a propriety sample library format? Does Korg provide users with sample library development software?. Also, are user samples stored on the SSD or on non-volatile flash RAM?

Thanks!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

A few thins for CEB.

Recommended velocity curve for weighted action is 9: GLOBAL==>BASIC==>BASIC

To increase bark for nearly any Rhodes worth its salt, add 5db+ at 1.2K EQ.

Yes, please check out my clavs. You shouldn't be using ROMpler clavs.

Busch.

Does the Kronos use a propriety sample library format? Does Korg provide users with sample library development software?. Also, are user samples stored on the SSD or on non-volatile flash RAM?

Thanks!

Like all hardware the Kronos users a proprietary sample format.

There is no sample library development software provided by Korg. BUT, the Kronos will import SF2 and Akai samples directly. The success of this does depend on how the samples/multisamples are arrange in the original format, but I just made available a sound library called Jensen Guitars and all of these I brought in directly using the SF2 import facility. Otherwise I use Chicken Systems Translator 6 to convert from Kontakt to Kronos. Translator directly supports Kronos output.

All samples, both user and Korg reside on the SSD. There is no flash RAM on the Kronos. Available user RAM is ~2GB, but because of disk streaming this translates to somewhere between 35 - 50 GBs of samples available to the user at any time, meaning the Kronos has between 35 - 50 GB vs. 1GB for Nord and 2GB for Yamaha with their flash RAM. The internal SSD is 62GB (on the Kronos X and Kronos 2) but a second SSD can be added and there is no set limit on the size. 250GB SSD would be a recommended size, IMO.

Busch.

Bill Busch has created some excellent sampled keys for the Kronos - check the Korg shop here:

https://shop.korg.com/kronosSoundLibraries

His company is Purgatory Creek.

I believe he has 16 layers sampled, so you craft a sound that offers whatever you want.

His clavinet source, IMNSHO is absolutely required... there is nothing even close to the character and natural sound in the factory ROM.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. :blush:

Busch.

This sampler sucks right now. I lose my samples from my programs when i power down the machine. The samples are saved to disk and loaded .... At least i used the load function. It is a loaded. Probably something silly.

I had a hell of a time with that too. Check out the korg forums.

Nut shell:

there are 2 types of files.... whatever the sample is .ksc and the preload file _whatever.ksc. THe .ksc file loads everything into memory that can be edited and resaved. The _Yada.KSC file is the streaming file. It saves memory, but you have to load it's equifilent to resave.

OK, then there is the whole pointing samles to programs thing. I still don't get it myself, but, depending on options when you save stuff, there are pointers.

this has not been discussed on KC really. BUSCH is an expert. Just PM him. But it's all spelled out on the korg forum.

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST COMPLAINT I AND OTHERS HAVE.

I think they are heading in th eright direction, but by enabling backwards compatibilty, they make it still fricking frustrating. I agree.

Dan

The sampler can be rather confusing until you get the process down but my EPs sound great and i also have the Busch collecion that is must have for my taste. Busch's clav are very good also. I was used to an older sampler EPS 16 plus which was user friendly back in the day. But it just takes time and can be frustrating at times to learn how the sampling in the Kronos works. I had the same problem also. Honestly i lucked up and saved all programs including ksc and samples and i had no problem after that. My EPs are barking right now brrrrrrrrrr and my German Shepherd is barking also.

I don't know I stayed up too late screwing with this thing. I'm pissed with it and I'm tired. This machine is useless if I can't figure out the sampler.

New user. I am having a lot of trouble with what is a really simple task on my Fantom.

I set up a combi for Uptown Funk. I audio sampled to Doos to disk. It is a wav file residing in a folder I created. Zone 3 in my combi is a HD-1 program I created using my audio sample. But when I power down the machine the sample does not reload into the HD-1 program when I turn it back on. I am losing truncations and other work when I fix the program.

Is there a thread that walks through the process of saving samples to programs? My wav file remains on the machine. The manual isn't helping. I don't want to send this machine back but I have to be able to roll my own samples or the Kronos is useless.

To get samples to load each time you boot do this:

Go to GLOBAL==>BASIC==>KSC AUTO-LOAD

Click on ADD KSC

Locate the KSC on SSD and click ADD.

It will now load at bootup.

THere are a couple of type of KSC files.

If working with files you got from Korg's Sound LIbraries store, there's just one KSC type. Just load it. It defaults to streaming/virtual mode.

On the other hand, if you're dealing with files from pugatorycreek.com or other samples that were created by users or yourself, you will typically see two KSC files, i.e. EXAMPLE.KSC and EXAMPLE_UserBank.KSC. In this case load the _UserBank version as it provides the streaming/virtual. The other .KSC will only load into RAM and you don't want to do this unless you're editing samples/multisamples.

Also note with OS version 3,0 and higher there's a new feature related to samples. For both programs and combis, if you find a program/combi that doesn't have the samples loaded (samples not loaded warning at the top) you can now quickly load the samples without having to search the SSD to find them. At the top right is a drop-down menu. Click on it and select LOAD REQUIRED SAMPLES. You will get a dialog box where you choose to load just the samples needed to make this program/combi work or all of the samples in the bank(s). I usually just load all the samples in the bank. This is a very handy feature.

Busch.

The first copy will use IFX 1 thru X and the second time you do COPY FROM PROGRAM, it's smart enough to copy the FXs starting one below X (if that makes sense). You can keep doing this till you run out of open IFXs slots.

Busch....or anyone....can you please explain/elaborate on this? Thanx.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The first copy will use IFX 1 thru X and the second time you do COPY FROM PROGRAM, it's smart enough to copy the FXs starting one below X (if that makes sense). You can keep doing this till you run out of open IFXs slots.

Busch....or anyone....can you please explain/elaborate on this? Thanx.

Let's say you want a combi that's a simple split with Rhodes right and El. Bass left. Both programs have effects that you want to keep. If you use INIT COMBI you can be assured that no effects are set. Let's say the Rhodes program uses IFX1 thru IFX4. If you use COPY FROM PROGRAM, and select IFXs-ALL USED, those four effects will be copied into IFX1 thru 4 with the proper routing. Now, let's say the bass uses two insert effects. Using the same method of IFX-ALL USED, the two effects will be copied to IFX5 and IFX6 with the bass routed properly. You can keep doing COPY FROM PROGRAM in this manner until you run out of insert FXs (12 is the limit).

Now the master FXs can still make a difference and you're going to have to find a master setup that works for both programs. You can certainly copy from either of the programs.

Busch.

Thanks, Busch. As you suggest, I always start with INIT COMBI and use COPY FROM PROGRAM to enter each program into the COMBI. However, instead of selecting IFXs-ALL USED for all of the programs in the COMBI, I do something a little different for the first program. For example, if I were creating a Piano/String/Pad layer, I would start with the "most important" program (i.e., piano), use COPY FROM PROGRAM, and select IFXs-ALL, MFXs, and TFXs. Then for all subsequent programs (String, Pad), I would only select IFXs-ALL USED, as you have suggested. I learned this method from an online tutorial.... Is there a disadvantage between using this procedure and the method you have suggested? Thanks again.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Effin Eh!

Thanks everyone. Especially. Busch and LZ thanks a ton. I owe you guys. I guess I need to register this thing if I am going to keep it.

Actionwise and pianowise I am starting to bond with it.

Thanks.

Effin Eh!

Thanks everyone. Especially. Busch and LZ thanks a ton. I owe you guys. I guess I need to register this thing if I am going to keep it.

Actionwise and pianowise I am starting to bond with it.

Thanks.

Glad to hear your brain is making the switch from the Yamaha action. ;) I've tried the SV1, and the RH3 action feels super solid. Pretty damn heavy, but solid nonetheless!

I like the MS-20 engine. The noise generators blow the Gaia out of the water. I would like to rebuild my noise builds. I usually manually open the cutoff filter as I sample the builds but when I assign the data wheel to the cutoff knob on the MS-20 it takes a gazillion turns to get from 0 to 10. LOL. Bedtime.

Archived