Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Had hand surgery yesterday

Gary75

b3boy/Gary best wishes for your recovery and continued progress! I hope this means we will see a bit more of you around here. Don't be shy about posting. I'm sure you're more qualified than you think you are. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides my wish for a complete and speedy recovery, I just want to add that in December I decided to totally give up white refined sugar, and have switched to Stevia/Truvia/Via natural sweetener. I used to put 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee x 5 mugs per day (at least). It took me no time to adjust to the difference in taste, and I feel that I am being proactive in staving off diabetes. Something to consider.

^^^Switched on guy. To see why diabetes is rife worldwide , all one has to do is glace at what is in peoples grocery trolleys at the checkout.

O.P , I gather you would rather have hand surgery than do that Gypsy gig? :)

Brett

Check out some of this guy: http://www.drjoeesposito.com/Radio-Show-Downloads.html

He'll scare the hell out of you! He's my catalyst for switching over.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm slowly getting flex back. I think the worst thing was that I have spent a few years putting up with it, and I mean not being able to straighten my hand completely and not being able to bring my fingers into my palm, that my tendons have lost their memory. The same way when you first try to touch your toes. So I am slowly having to recover not only from the surgery, but from the lack of use that the tendons have had over the years, and to try and stretch them out again.

Im having some physio, but that could be a wait so I am having to exercise through the pain and stiffness until further instruction

I also had hand surgery about 1 1/2 years ago on my right hand, but mine was not from diabetes, its from a heredity condition called dupuytrens contractures (Vikings disease ) which is a condition that causes collagen to build up over your tendons, causing your fingers to bend inwards. It was so bad I couldn't straighten my 2 middle fingers and thumb past about 33 deg. I had injections also first, I can sympathize cause this hurt like hell, then the surgery, which wasn't as successful as I'd hoped for. I didn't even bother getting my left hand done. It was a 6 month recovery / rehab mission that sucked. I still cant straighten my fingers, but at least I can still play keys , not as good as I used to be able before the disease took hold. I had to all but give up playing congas / percussion, which WAS my main musical background.

My advice, do ALL the rehab you possibly can and keep doing it, fingers and hands keep muscle memory for a long time and will seize up if not exercised after trauma of surgery.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd give a quick update on my dual tendon release.

5 weeks since my operation. I'm still stiff in the fingers, but not having a full range of motion for years, it is going to take some time to recover. I had hoped it would be weeks but I have been told it takes 3 months or so to recover, and even more so when I have had limited use for so long. Apparently what you see on the hand is the tip of the iceberg and what is going on underneath will take time with scar tissue and the like. It does heal vertically

The last two weeks I have had loss of sensation down the side of my fourth finger. I can feel things on the area, but it's a hypersensation/tingly and it doesn't feel like it belongs to me.

So when I saw the physio last week she explained that we have digital nerves that run down the sides of our fingers, and they can get damaged in surgery/trauma. The nerves do not provide motor function thankfully.

She said it could be permanent or they may grow back at 1mm a day. I'm happy to say that the last few days I have felt less hypersensation and it feels like its getting better.

I have been using grapeseed oil on my hands to help disperse the scar tissue through massage and to help everything remain slick. I am going to keep on using it even after all this has ended as it feels great on the hands and maybe some of you guys would want to try it. It helps to have a young lady physio doing the massage but equal results can be achieved yourself.

So, I just need to keep pumping my fist.....

Hope everything heals up well eventually B3b. You HAVE to do the physio every day, that's the only way you will get the greatest range of movement possible.

All the best,

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I hope you recover okay from that surgery.

Another potential problem for diabetics is peripheral neuropathy, where you lose feeling in your feet and hands.

I am not diabetic, but I suffer from something called Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. For some unknown reason, my autoimmune system is attacking the insulation on the motor and sensory nerves in my feet and legs, and now it is getting into my arms as well. There is no cure, but I am being treated with monthly IV infusions of intravenous immunoglobulin. This is supposed to help ward off the progression of the affliction.

Unfortunately, there are a whole variety of issues that can affect people's hands as we get older. For many people, these can be difficult, but for those of us who play keyboards and other instruments it can be especially troubling.

One of my best friends - a guitarist - lost feeling and mobility in the fourth and fifth fingers of his left hand. He ended up having surgery because something in his elbow was pinching the nerve that goes to those fingers. He is having physical therapy but has been told it could take up to a year to find out if the surgery worked. In the interim, he has bought a left-handed guitar.

Many afflictions (such as mine, and my friend's) can be made worse by delayed or incorrect diagnoses. Many of them can be sorted out much more easily by jumping on the symptoms ASAP.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I hope you recover okay from that surgery.

Another potential problem for diabetics is peripheral neuropathy, where you lose feeling in your feet and hands.

I am not diabetic, but I suffer from something called Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy. For some unknown reason, my autoimmune system is attacking the insulation on the motor and sensory nerves in my feet and legs, and now it is getting into my arms as well. There is no cure, but I am being treated with monthly IV infusions of intravenous immunoglobulin. This is supposed to help ward off the progression of the affliction.

Unfortunately, there are a whole variety of issues that can affect people's hands as we get older. For many people, these can be difficult, but for those of us who play keyboards and other instruments it can be especially troubling.

One of my best friends - a guitarist - lost feeling and mobility in the fourth and fifth fingers of his left hand. He ended up having surgery because something in his elbow was pinching the nerve that goes to those fingers. He is having physical therapy but has been told it could take up to a year to find out if the surgery worked. In the interim, he has bought a left-handed guitar.

Many afflictions (such as mine, and my friend's) can be made worse by delayed or incorrect diagnoses. Many of them can be sorted out much more easily by jumping on the symptoms ASAP.

Hey I just skimmed the Wiki on your condition, I feel your pain in having a debilitating condition that affects the things you love to do. It's bad enough for an older musician with the general wear and tear of the hands due to ageing, but it seems so unfair at times.

I have advanced peripheral neuropathy on my eyes that have required laser for bleeding, retrectomies as the weak vessels that were encroaching towards my central vision needed to be stripped back to stop blindness. I have had my cornea literally come away from the front of my eye in a flap, cataracts requiring artificial lenses. There's nothing left to do on my eyes that hasn't been done.

I'd have been blind if I had had this stuff 20 years or so ago. Remarkably I'm still passing my medical to drive despite my eyes having been through so much. I accept I may be blind at some stage in my life, but I will cope somehow.

Actually I had my feet checked last week and I have no sensation loss at all so am hoping this will relate to my hands too.

I'll never be able to be a true pro now, but I'm quite happy playing at whatever level I can.

Thank you for the support, it is a help to push me to excercise my hand through the stiffness.

I have just about got full range of motion now from straight out hand to clenched fist. It is only the stiffness I need to work on now.

I have advanced peripheral neuropathy on my eyes that have required laser for bleeding, retrectomies as the weak vessels that were encroaching towards my central vision needed to be stripped back to stop blindness. I have had my cornea literally come away from the front of my eye in a flap, cataracts requiring artificial lenses. There's nothing left to do on my eyes that hasn't been done.

I'd have been blind if I had had this stuff 20 years or so ago.

Good heavens, I am so sorry about your eyes. That sounds like a real ordeal. I haven't heard of neuropathy in the eyes before.

Indeed, we are fortunate to be living during the age of "modern medicine." They are combating my peripheral neuropathy with these IVIG infusions, which cost my insurance company $54,000 USD per month.

While my toes and feet are hopelessly numb, at this point the nerves in my hands and arms are largely unaffected. I can only hope that this treatment keeps those nerves intact.

You have certainly had your share of challenges. Again, I wish you the best regarding your recovery from the surgery, and any other afflictions.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to hear about your surgery. Its tough getting older.

I feel your pain.

I was a guitar player, until I lost my basal thumb joints to an auto immune disease. The transition to keys was hard for me, but getting better based on time invested.

I wish you a swift recovery!

Been a lurker, first post. Hope this works.Be well,

MotifX

Korg Kronos 61, Motif XF6, RD-800, K-10s

I'll never be able to be a true pro now, but I'm quite happy playing at whatever level I can.

I would refute that assertion. And I've heard you play, remember... :)

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Archived