Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Me again, FA-06 !

Dextroze

Hey guys, yeah, me again !

The most indecisive person on this forum !

I thought a lot this last 3 months, and thanks to youtube videos, you guys, and some stores where I could try DP and others... I have come to a conclusion, that is regarding my personnal experience.

I am a jazz pianist, acoustic pianist, in my house I have a grotrian steinweg (upright).

In concert I usually play on uprights or grand pianos, I don't have a car liscense (yeah I know...).

I have no experience with synths keyboards or else.

Recently I created my trio, my own compositions, and I have a few gigs ahead.

I know I want (at least try) to put in different sounds, I love acoustic sound, but I feel that I need to search for differents estetics/sounds/effects.

The best for me would be to have a car liscence, a rd-800 and something like a jupiter-80 or fa-06, obviously that's not possible, even more when you know that I don't have any experience with keyboards... That would be like a virgin who would want to have sex with 3 girls for the first time and have some result with it !

I've thought about a lot of keyboards, FA-08, FA-06, PX5S, Jupiter 80, Jupiter 50, VR-09, Kawai MP7, RD-800 ... I looked so many videos/demos/and tried some of them.

FA-08 : nice but I feel it's too expensive for a keybed that I didn't really like compared to the rd-800.

PX5S : I don't feel it, I don't understand the menus etc.

Jupiter 80-50 : Nice sounds ofc, but expensive and maybe too much for a first keyboard, and some of you told me it was hard to put in a mix or live situation.

Vr-09 : Seems great but not so much sounds and only 2 layers.

MP7 : Nice overall but not enough sounds for me, I'm really looking for a device with a lot of sounds !

That leave us with 2 keboards : RD-800 and FA-06.

Why those too ? I don't really know why but I feel something towards Roland !I like the menus, the look of the keyboards and the sounds, the variety of sounds, supernatural stuff etc.

I think it would be maybe wiser to take the FA-06, it's more than twice less expensive, it's really light, it has a crazy amount of sounds/effetcs/pads... Possibilities ! The only thing I'm afraid is the keybed but if i'm on stage, normally I have an AP !

In the same time, if I buy the FA-06, I won't be able to take only that one to gigs, I won't be able to play standards or compos with the piano sound and the synth keybed !

I really like the RD-800 ... So nice action, lots of sound (no synth engine... too bad!), 4 layers... But very expensive, and quite a weight (no car!).

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the FA-06, to learn to use it, to enter into the world of synths, put some money aside, and when I really need it, buy the RD-800 or the next RD ?

Or do you think I should go all the way and buy the Rd-800 now, regarding my expectations towards keybed/overall "sensations"?

I hope I'm clear enough (french guy !).

In all case, it is a real pleasure to be in this forum and to be helped by you guys. I'm eagger (possibly tomorrow!!) to enter this world !!!

Thank you for everything :)

http://dextergoldberg.com/ (I will have sounds of my trio in a few months!)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ultimately its your decision but as you say you really like the RD 800 and that is a great choice. I am not a fan of buying a keyboard if its not the one I really want. I do not think you will be happy playing a synth feel keyboard since you play a grand piano at some concerts. However if its a money thing I understand. You could check out the Yamaha CP4 piano its very nice and comparable to RD800 and maybe a little cheaper. Of course I live in the US and I think the Yamaha is a little cheaper if money is a problem but great piano sounds. It comes down to if you really want invest money in a keyboard that you need to keep for a few years and the RD 800 will be around for a few years at least. So I hope and wish you well in your decision. Again I just never buy a keyboard if I am not sure it fits my needs but hopefully I said something that will make your decision easier.

Dexter - First, I should emphasize that I'm not at the level of pretty much everybody on this forum. I started taking lessons two years ago with an eye to learning jazz piano, and remain, very emphatically, a beginner.

I bought a Krome 88 after much agonizing about gear, thinking it best fit my desire for a weighted 88 keyboard with a good piano sound, plus all of the workstation bells and whistles and also the synthesis/programming possibilities. Two lengthy periods in the shop,and a nagging unhappiness with the Krome that made playing it a bit of a chore, plus some time with a borrowed Yamaha CP-30, suggested what I really wanted was a stage piano, not a synthesizer/workstation.

I started comparison shopping over again. This time, the feel of the keys, and the musical connection I made with it (however basic) was one of the most important parts of my decision making process.

The list I went through is familiar - PX-5S, CP-4, RD-800, or an Artis, and I tried the FA-08 as well. Ultimately, the action on the first three was far more piano-like and satisfying for me than the FA-08 (I never did find an Artis in the time frame I was looking). The RD-800 just felt better _to me_ than the other keyboards, and I think that experience translated into it sounding better _to me_. Again, I don't gig, this is home studio use only, but the piano sounds to my ears are excellent, and the 1000 or so other sounds are certainly enough for my very basic needs. It's a great feeling, great sounding, and great playing keyboard, and I see it serving my needs for many years to come.

It sounds almost as if you're looking to the exact opposite, and a Krome 61 or FA-06 might offer the kinds of sounds/light synth experimenting you describe.

When I was playing my Kawai MP-5 and I wanted more sounds I used rack modules. One of which was a Roland XV-5050 I paid either $150 or $200 for used. I would not buy a FA-06 workstation when you do not want one. For a synth the action is terrible. If you do not want the built in SP404 sampler or sequencer there is no point in getting the FA-06. Those are the best parts. I would put that money towards what you really want. Any money you spend on a new workstation is time and money you needed for th RD-800.

If you need something temporary look at a nice piece of used gear.

I've done what you are thinking. Buy something I don't really want because it is cheaper. I usually regretted and would have saved money in the long run I had not compromised.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I do. The black keys are terrible but it is better than the Krome 61. So many pop songs are in Eb and C#m.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The RD-800 is about as well-appointed as it can get without becoming a workstation. More than that, you like the *feel*. You're a pianist and that specific intimacy comes first. Keep in mind that it does come with a solid compliment of sounds right up to the edge of the synth world and will control up to 4 zones. If you decide you want to add a synth of any kind, you're already halfway there for relative ease of use. The weight issue is a hassle, but at that level, you buy an SKB or Gator case WITH WHEELS and go for it. I've bounced an SKB around for years and never had an issue. Besides, you already winnowed it down to the RD-800 by working your way through everything else in that weight class first. Smart move. If the RD doesn't cover you 100%, its not hard to see you with an FA-06 or other synth on top for Everything Else eventually. You're starting wisely with a pro-level instrument you can grow into rather than wrestling with lesser ones. Once I moved up to a flagship, my work took off. IMO, you're starting on the right foot. Let us know how it goes. This RD is a real step up in the line, so I'm curious.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

My only advice right now is to take your time. Keep posting your fears and feelings here on the forums. Ultimately you'll figure it out. I know I did and I couldn't be happier after agonizing over my latest purchases. In the end you have to be the one that's happy. You can't be swayed by what makes other players happy because they are not you. Once you wrestle with all the pros and cons and untangle the mess between what you really want and what you -think- you want you'll find your own bliss.

Carl (a very happy owner of a Roland FA-08 and Korg M3 combination and not a Kronos thanks to this forum and following my own advice above)

My only advice right now is to take your time. Keep posting your fears and feelings here on the forums. Ultimately you'll figure it out. I know I did and I couldn't be happier after agonizing over my latest purchases. In the end you have to be the one that's happy. You can't be swayed by what makes other players happy because they are not you. Once you wrestle with all the pros and cons and untangle the mess between what you really want and what you -think- you want you'll find your own bliss.

Carl (a very happy owner of a Roland FA-08 and Korg M3 combination and not a Kronos thanks to this forum and following my own advice above)

As good advice as you're going to get. Spot on.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

dextergoldberg:

If you want something more for sound design,and a sequencer...take the fa06.

But if you're a pianist,and you want one of the best high level stage piano ever made..

Take the RD800!!

That' s less complicated than you think.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

I think that if you really want an RD 800, you are probably going to be dis-satisfied with anything else you may buy, and always look upon it as "second best".

If I were you, I would work overtime, sell something, wait while I saved up, or do anything I needed to do to get the cash together to get the board I REALLY wanted.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

That's why I did...

I just bought it !

10 times without charges...

Well...I have to wait a few days and I got it !!!!

Thanks for all your advices !

I tried it again and...I still love the keybed and the sounds.

I would have love to have more effects at the same rime but they are good quality so, I'll make it work with them :)

Eagger to be able to put it in my trio (not yet!)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

Archived