Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kiki Ebsen -"If I only had a brain"

Dave Ferris

A shout out for a nice vocal and excellent arrangement of the Harold Arlen/E.Y Harburg classic- "If I Only had a brain". This is from the very talented LA/ Augora Hills based Kiki Ebsen (daughter of show biz icon Buddy Ebsen) .

Kiki's a fine keyboardist and songwriter in her own right, but for her new record, "Scarecrow Sessions", she traveled back East to Barber Shop Studio in Hopatcong, NJ and enlisted the talents of heavyweights John Patitucci, Chuck Loeb , Henry Hey, Clint de Ganon (drums), David Mann (producer/sax/flute/arrangement).

I guess this falls under the pop and that dangerous category of *smooth jazz*.

Yeah... really not a fan of the SJ genre, but this arrangement, and her voice have put me in a good mood whenever I've heard it in recent weeks. :)

Nice to hear un-pretensious singing, good changes and refined, tasteful playing, along with an excellent recording. Very well done !

edit- an interesting side note if you click on the SC track info on the upper right. Buddy was originally cast to play the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz, but agreed to play the Tin Man. It goes on to say -- "metallic particles from the costume and the aluminum makeup covering his hands, neck and face provoked a toxic reaction when it seeped into his lungs causing the actor to be hospitalized for several days where he required the aid of a respirator in order to breathe, leaving him unfit to play the part ".

Wow , talk about an un-lucky break ! Did not know that. Well, he's certainly etched forever in TV consciousness has Jed Clampett.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very tasteful and inspiring. The feel and tempo give it a modern and fresh feel, while the chords and lyrics keep it from sinking into the quicksand of smooth jazz.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Ms. Ebsen, daughter of Buddy, who was originally hired to play The Tin Man, but had to drop out due to reaction to the silver paint.

So everything comes full circle more or less! LOL

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Nice. Better than SJ.

Also, it's good to hear some other songs from that soundtrack being covered as opposed to the :deadhorse:

(not that it's not a great song, it's just nice to hear a "deep cut")

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived