Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

nord sample library Mellotron Master Tapes

sakari lindhen

The appeal to many of us, I think, of Mellotron and other vintage sounds in spite of the fact that "better" ones have since become available, is simply that those are the sounds on so many famous recordings, and part of our job and goal is to often to mimic them as closely as possible. You could hire real pro flutists to play the intro to SFF and that would probably be objectively better than ancient looping taped analog samples, but it wouldn't sound as much like the record and that's worth something.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mellotron has a sound quality that cannot be replicated by real instruments. Low Fi is part of its unique sound. I can identify MK II 3 Violins in a couple of seconds. You would be surprised how often that sound is used in commercials and contemporary rock music.

As an owner of two of these beasts, and one of the first American studio musicians who played one on many recordings in the 70's (and dragged into a AFM meeting and brought up on charges for doing so), let me tell you that playing a real one successfully takes an amazing amount of technique. Just ask Mike Pinder... Or Ian MacDonald...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm another that views hi fi sampled strings and mellotron strings as two completely different beasts.

Ironically, with real string sounds I find myself wanting to play real string lines and am always caught with the lack of articulations. Uncanny valley, I guess.

With mellotron strings you can blast big string pads or play individual lines without it feeling weird, because that sound has been established and has a history that allows you to enjoy the sound as its own thing.

I didn't explain that very well. :idk:;)

Moe

---

You could hire real pro flutists to play the intro to SFF and that would probably be objectively better than ancient looping taped analog samples, but it wouldn't sound as much like the record and that's worth something.

Good point. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

..., because that sound has been established and has a history that allows you to enjoy the sound as its own thing.

I didn't explain that very well. :idk:;)

I think you actually did; instruments are not technical entities, but a technical thing with a lot of culture and history around.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

Archived