Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

hurricane hugo

19 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

This definitely got my attention:

Of course, anything that Bill Ruppert demos sounds unbelievably great. But this box seems to combine what I currently use 4 different multi-effects boxes for, into one pretty cool box.

9 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I saw an announcement about that [EHX POG3] earlier today.  I can’t look at the videos.  My credit card is starting to glow…

I know what you mean- about such things. However, the POG3 does an awful lot- and an awful lot that I personally, probably, would never use. And an awful lot of that involves upward digital pitch-shifting and digital octave-up effects, which I seem to be aurally allergic to...

Somehow, such digital upward pitch-shifts all sound and feel too artificial, flinty, chirpy, and tinny to me; whereas digital down shifts generally seem fine.

I love most analog octave-up fuzz effects, analog 'sped-up tape', and even digitally-derived 'sped-up tape' upward pitch-shifts and octave-up effects.

But the POGs and the HOGs and the Whammies all leave me cold. Some, like Josh Homme, Jack White, and others- maybe you?- can make 'em work, and work well, pleasing my ear more than well enough when they deploy 'em. But... 's not for me.

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

Knobs doesn't make many videos anymore, so I gotta post this.

I could really use this pedal, I just can't afford one now. It's number 2 on my futures list, after a DI. 

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

35 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I could really use this pedal, I just can't afford one now. It's number 2 on my futures list, after a DI. 

What sort of a DI?

• Like 1

The Onward is like a more advanced version of the Infinite Jets. It's the same starting concept, a Sampler+DSP, with many of the same features, and an expanded set of parameters. I like it, and I think you all know that I would seriously use it, but at $400US, not this week . . .

Some reviewers have compared it to the Red Panda Particle V2, but I'm not entirely in agreement. Some of the functions and features are similar, but the Particle is primarily a Granular Delay, while the Onward is a Sampler/Signal Processor.

OTOH, I love it when a video of a new product makes me think of something I should try, using something I already have. I'm stuck at home today, with no Jeep (don't ask), and what's left of Debby pouring rain , outdoors, so maybe I'll connect the MIKU Stomp to the Infinite Jets, and see what happens?

• Like 5

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

10 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

What sort of a DI?

This is very foreign to me and I'm in no hurry. I'm not looking at the thousand dollar professional models, that would be overkill. I'm looking in the $400 and under range. Strymon, Boss, Tech21, Universal Audio and Quiltar are on my list now, there maybe others added. In the mean time I can use my Boss Street Cube ll direct if an occasion arises. We gave up on getting our own PA, a quality system would to expensive and we can't justify it.

I've always been inpatient and because 300 or 400 dollars is a lot of money to me I'm going consult with people who know more than I do, like those at my FLMS.

• Like 4

Jennifer S.

2 hours ago, surfergirl said:

This is very foreign to me and I'm in no hurry. I'm not looking at the thousand dollar professional models, that would be overkill. I'm looking in the $400 and under range. Strymon, Boss, Tech21, Universal Audio and Quiltar are on my list now, there maybe others added. In the mean time I can use my Boss Street Cube ll direct if an occasion arises. We gave up on getting our own PA, a quality system would to expensive and we can't justify it.

OK, so the sort that does Digital Modeling and IR's to replicate and take the place of an amp, speakers, cab, and mic, to connect Direct to a PA and monitors...

I absolutely LOVE my Strymon Iridium! But I'm also intrigued by the UA units, particularly the Lion '68 and Ruby.

The Iridium sounds and feels like you've got a Direct line from the control room in a pro recording studio, of a miked-up tube-amp and speaker-cab in a room with perfect acoustics. Smooth and controlled. As if you're magically able to be playing a pro recording, live.

For example, when I plugged my guitar into a great Uni-Vibe pedal and my Iridium through my AKG headphones, it was as if I was in my own live magic bubble in the middle of the Dark Side of the Moon album. 💫😎💖

I have not tried the UA units, but those who swear by them often say that using them Direct is more like the experience of plugging into a real live tube-amp in the same room, than the studio console sound and feel of the Iridium. A bit wilder and with more attitude.

Both seem very valid and enjoyable to me (I'm very used to using headphones for this). Some may prefer one or the other. Some may prefer the latter, especially 'out loud' in the room by going Direct through PA and monitors, studio monitors, or Full Range Flat Response powered cabs.

Bear in mind that the Iridium covers three broad categories of tube-amps and their respective speaker and cabinet types: Fender, Vox, and Marshall. Whereas each of the UA devices focuses on EITHER Fender, Vox, OR Marshall.

:blah:  :laugh:  :D 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that almost any decent MFX will have have Amp+Speaker Modeling, if not deep IR algorithms. How convincing they sound is relative, but if you're using them live, you don't need a pristine, studio-quality sound, you need something that will sound good going out over a crowd of people in a small club, or an outdoor venue. 

Also remember that you're subject to the quality of the main FOH sound system, whatever it may be where you're playing, so yes, the better you sound, the better chance you have of sounding good to the audience, but . . . even the most expensive & expansive MFX/IR rig can only do so much if you're plugged into a Mixer with staticky sliders, or a PA with a blown tweeter.

Hope for the ideal, plan for the real.

• Like 6

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Chase Bliss discontinued all of these today

d2c3ae94-44cc-b6fc-4ce0-7a1ec0e016c8.png

The light-dependent resistors in each of them use cadmium sulfide, which is banned in the EU and UK. There had been a carve-out in that ban for audio equipment, but that carve-out expired today. Chas Bliss intends to buy back all unsold stock from their dealers, so you'd better get on your horse and ride if you really want one. If you already have one or more of these, with the exception of Dark World, you now have a lifetime warranty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

My take away from the wording on their website sounds like “buy back” to sell directly in the U.S…

PEACE

_
_
_

I hope you're right, because I put a Dark World thru its paces a few days ago, and I'm in love.

moving on...again, maybe this should've gone in the Crapulator thread, even though it's just a distortion pedal:

• Like 5

I want to like it, but one odd thing I took away from the video . . . at around the 1:20 mark, and again around the 4:20 mark, when we're hearing what's supposed to be the "clean" unaffected signal from the Guitar, it seems to my ear that I'm hearing some Wah or Filter effect in with the Guitar tone. Does anyone else notice this?

I wonder how much that sound is influencing what we hear from the pedal itself?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

a cinematic triumph

I'd try a reverb in its "Pardner" effects-loop, and maybe also a flanger, set for a pretty slow sweep; series, Reverb > Flanger > Fuzz, for swirling clouds of prickly fuzzy reverb. Though I think that would be cooler yet if the straight/dry-signal (without fuzz) was preserved in parallel- that'd take some kind of additional mixer...

Now, my TightFuzz Pro, from Amptweaker (James Brown! The other James Brown! :cool: :D) has no less than three onboard loops, each with different purposes and functions; it's a real mothership command center of fuzz... !  The two primary reasons that I got it are its internal 'pickup simulator' transformer circuit that allows it to un-fussily but fuzzily be placed just about anywhere in a pedal-chain without the problems some vintage-y fuzzes have with that; and its having boost and octave-fuzz on command. :rawk: :cool:  Big as it is, it actually saves pedalboard space for me as it effectively replaces several fuzzes and other pedals!

IzKJhE6.jpg
fXjV947.png

• Like 4

Whoa! Now, this IS new- and should prove to be outstanding! I already have and rabidly 💖LOVE💖 the Halcyon Green (TS voiced) and Halcyon Gold (Klon voiced); Origin Effects' proprietary Adaptive circuit design reverses 'mid-hump' characteristics and restores highs and lows when adjusting a guitar's volume-knob and ones "touch" to clean-up and alter overdrive character. Their Dry and Mod Mode features bring more useful features to love, as well.

I never used to give a damn about 'overdrive' pedals; but this Adaptive Halcyon line from OE really suits me!

This Halcyon Blue Blues Breaker voiced overdrive will be an absolute must-have that I'll be certain to get as soon as I can!

Halcyon Blue Overdrive

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hurricane hugo said:

Damn, I hope I'm reading this e-mail wrong, but it looks like Industrialectric's closing down.  😭😭😭😭

I was not familiar with them or their products, but I like the sound of this:

• Like 3

I’ve heard of them.  I’ve got them bookmarked.  But I don’t recall which of their products caught my eye.

EDIT: as it turns out, I posted about the company in this very thread and Caev responded…10 YEARS AGO!  That’s a good reason to have forgotten!

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Cool 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

19 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’ve heard of them.  I’ve got them bookmarked.  But I don’t recall which of their products caught my eye.

EDIT: as it turns out, I posted about the company in this very thread and Caev responded…10 YEARS AGO!  That’s a good reason to have forgotten!

W o w . . .  TEN YEARS... ?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

welp, it's official. this e-mail dropped this morning:

RKEKk7_V-8Jm.jpg?u=7xwQLFBtniwQn1M7yPecW

12 YEARS.....

WHERE TO START..... IT'S BEEN AN EXTREMELY ROUGH LAST FEW YEARS, BETWEEN PARTS SOURCING TROUBLES, CIRCUIT BOARD MANUFACTURING ERRORS, SHIPPING TROUBLES, HEALTH ISSUES AND PERSONAL ISSUES.

I HAVE DECIDED TO CLOSE THE BUSINESS AND STOP CREATING. IT HAS TAKEN A SERIOUS TOLL ON MY LIFE AND FAMILY, HEALTH AND THIS BUSINESS, I JUST CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE.

I HAD SO MUCH MORE I WANTED TO CREATE, DUAL RESONANT CHORUS, RM-2N, ECHO DEGRADED (2), SAMPLER, SYNTH, DRUM MACHINE, AND WAY MORE....

THE INDUSTRY HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE WORLD AND I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE THERE'S A PLACE FOR ME ANYMORE. NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRIED OR WHO LIKED AND USED MY PEDALS, OR WHO I MET, IN THE END IT DOESN'T MATTER...

I AM FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR THE TRUE FANS AND MUSICIANS WHO HAVE SUPPORTED ME ALL THESE YEARS. THANK YOU!

I WILL BE CLOSING OFFICIALLY AT THE END OF THE YEAR SO NOW'S THE TIME TO GRAB WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE WANTED, IF YOU WANTED ANYTHING FROM OUR LINEUP. BUILD TIME IS STILL 

4-8 WEEKS BUT I'M WORKING HARD TO FINISH AND GET THINGS OUT SOONER. IT'S JUST ME BUILDING AND IT'S REALLY ALWAYS JUST BEEN ME, A ONE MAN OPERATION, TRYING TO CHANGE THINGS AND DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT IN THIS INDUSTRY.

I'M WORKING EXTREMELY HARD TO FULFILL ANY OUTSTANDING ORDERS AND TO KEEP EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER UPDATED. PLEASE KNOW THAT YOUR ORDER IS BEING BUILT AND YOU'LL RECEIVE TRACKING AS SOON AS IT SHIPS.

ALL OUTSTANDING ORDERS AND REPAIRS WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF AND CLEARED UP BEFORE I CLOSE AT THE END OF THE YEAR.

I'M ALSO PLANNING TO DO ONE LAST CUSTOM THING FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY ON HALLOWEEN SO PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT. CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW IF YOU'D LIKE TO PURCHASE SOMETHING OR SEND US AN EMAIL TO GET ON A WAITLIST FOR SOMETHING BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR.

I'M GOING TO BE BUILDING 5 MORE GENERATOR PEDALS BECAUSE OF THE HIGH DEMAND, SO THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR SITE AGAIN.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT.

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1
  • Sad 3

It's getting to almost impossible for a small business in any industry to survive. There is so much competition in the effects industry I fear this may be the norm rather than the exception.

Hopefully after a break to refresh the mind he will comeback in the future.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

I hate to see anyone have to close down their businesses.  From his post, I can tell he's a man of virtue by the way he is honoring all of his commitments.

I wish him well in what ever he decides to do in the future...😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz