Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

33 minutes ago, Jon Levy said:

I am LOVING the look of these! Maybe it's because I'm an old geezer, but the retro look of these pedals is absolutely intoxicating. Anyone else out there feel the same?

COMPLETELY.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

6 hours ago, Caevan OShite said:

Aaaaaahhh.... !!

As someone who owns a RE-20 and loves it, I have to say I’m happy to see this!  I got mine as a used pedal at GC, and it’s one I’d be sad to lose.  So for there to be a new & updated incarnation of the Space Echo is welcome news indeed.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm gonna have to watch some of the review videos, because what I really wanna know is if I can get the tape-saturation compression effect that Alex Lifeson used to use these for. It was the backbone of his sound from Farewell To Kings thru Moving Pictures. Along with chorus, of course. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

I'm gonna have to watch some of the review videos, because what I really wanna know is if I can get the tape-saturation compression effect that Alex Lifeson used to use these for. It was the backbone of his sound from Farewell To Kings thru Moving Pictures. Along with chorus, of course. 😉

I'm pretty sure that they have that covered in the RE-202 to a degree that will satisfy you, hh! However, I don't see or hear anything that would be more or less equivalent to the "Tape Crinkle"* parameter of Strymon's El Capistan, which I absolutely LOVE! I always have that maxed on my El Cap, and the Wow & Flutter set to about 2:00 or 3:00 O'Clock. I would really want something like that on the Boss RE-202...

*Strymon on the El Capistan: "Tape Crinkle controls the amount and severity of tape irregularities, including friction, creases, splices and contaminants. Go from smooth and well-cared for all the way to chewed and mangled. Tape Crinkle characteristics track accordingly to tape speed."

26 minutes ago, Caevan OShite said:

I'm pretty sure that they have that covered in the RE-202 to a degree that will satisfy you, hh! However, I don't see or hear anything that would be more or less equivalent to the "Tape Crinkle"* parameter of Strymon's El Capistan, which I absolutely LOVE! I always have that maxed on my El Cap, and the Wow & Flutter set to about 2:00 or 3:00 O'Clock. I would really want something like that on the Boss RE-202...
Strymon on the El Capistan: "Tape Crinkle controls the amount and severity of tape irregularities, including friction, creases, splices and contaminants. Go from smooth and well-cared for all the way to chewed and mangled. Tape Crinkle characteristics track accordingly to tape speed."

Ha! All the stuff I worked hard to eliminate when I had a pair of real RE201s in my stage rig. I couldn't wait to get rid of physical tape.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

3 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Ha! All the stuff I worked hard to eliminate when I had a pair of real RE201s in my stage rig. I couldn't wait to get rid of physical tape.

This is very much like the way it was originally intended that tube-amps for musical instruments not be overdriven, to the point of some vintage Fender amplifier owner's manuals advising that turning the amp up to the point of distortion should be avoided.

I, personally, love the sound of a tape echo- or a sim thereof- that has old, worn, chewed and garbled tape, splices, mechanical frictions and irregularities, etc. etc.; however, one thing that I additionally love about a digital replication of all that is the way all of that will remain constant indefinitely without 'worsening', changing, or failing the way that a real, actual tape-echo machine eventually will- I get to have my cake and eat it, too, for a long, long time.

I just love randomly garbled repeats among my echoes! For me, it's rich color, texture and character.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, hurricane hugo said:

Anyway, the Chase Bliss people posted this a few hours ago:

umm, what? :o

On 3/28/2022 at 1:59 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Chase Bliss is always going to get my attention.

Aaaaahh... Must've been about THIS...

Sounds cool, maybe I can excuse the pristine cleanness of the repeats and embrace their clockwork precision. [Edit: Aaah, I see and hear that the Habit has some dirty tricks up its sleeve that near repeating, as well.]

Reaction #1: Consarn it! (edits G.A.S. List.)

Reaction #2: that is the most Knobs-like demo I’ve ever watched that wasn’t on Knobs’ channel.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

45 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Reaction #1: Consarn it! (edits G.A.S. List.)

Reaction #2: that is the most Knobs-like demo I’ve ever watched that wasn’t on Knobs’ channel.

😄👍 Indeed, I thought the same thing myself!

10 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

gotta tell ya, I like what Eventide's doing here:

I’m hearing things I’ve heard done in recorded music before.  But I suspect the difference between what I heard before and this pedal is probably thousands of dollars of studio gear and production wizardry.

11 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

9 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Now that's a smart device. I'm seeing some real world use for this.

1 hour ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’m hearing things I’ve heard done in recorded music before.  But I suspect the difference between what I heard before and this pedal is probably thousands of dollars of studio gear and production wizardry.

It does look to be a very versatile and handy device, and not just for acoustic instruments and other sources via a mic.

That Mic input could just as easily handle the XLR line-out of my Rivera RockCrusher reactive-load attenuator/speaker-emulator, right? Or my Egnater tube-amp's XLR line-out. The Instrument In might see my ancient GT Electronics Speaker Emulator's output, or that of my Strymon Iridium...

Now- what with the mono instrument and effects-loop I/O jacks, it appears that I would need two of them to work into a stereo scheme I'd like along with my Strymon Iridium and some of my other pedals (some of which have stereo effects), though! It'd be fantastic to have the MixingLink's effects-loop and three Mix Modes (Dry+FX, Mix, and FX Only) connected post the Iridium's Amp/Speaker/Cab/Room/Mic modeling and IR's, like a virtual studio set-up in a few boxes! But what a real high-quality way to go...

To be fair, since I'm daydreaming about high-quality mini mixing rigs like that, I'd also need at least two Iridium's to be able to mix, for example, "Round" (Fender blackpanel) and "Chime" (Vox AC30) amp-models and cab-IR's... ! 😎💖

I almost never watch the posted demo videos all the way through on first sighting, but this one intrigued me: I have to admit, I was also waiting for an "APRIL FOOL'S!" punchline, because parts of the backstory seemed just plain absurd - Thomas Edison's phonograph, the CIA, and MXR?!? - but at least the pedal seems to be real . . .

Some of it reminded me of the MIKU Stomp, of course, but it seemed more user-friendly, and less prone to false triggering; it's also pretty well limited to "Ooh" and "Aah" sounds, but that might be more than enough for a lot of potential users.

I felt that the effect was more convincing, or less obviously fake, with the Drive off. The Polyphonic Mode is very cool! Definitely agree with the reviewer about adding Delay/Reverb, and possibly EXP Pedal control; maybe in a V2? Perversely, I could see diming out the Vibrato control, while crunching the Drive. If I didn't already have a legion of hardware Synths, I'd be very tempted.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

1 minute ago, Winston Psmith said:

I almost never watch the posted demo videos all the way through on first sighting, but this one intrigued me: I have to admit, I was also waiting for an "APRIL FOOL'S!" punchline, because parts of the backstory seemed just plain absurd - Thomas Edison's phonograph, the CIA, and MXR?!? - but at least the pedal seems to be real . . .

Some of it reminded me of the MIKU Stomp, of course, but it seemed more user-friendly, and less prone to false triggering; it's also pretty well limited to "Ooh" and "Aah" sounds, but that might be more than enough for a lot of potential users.

I felt that the effect was more convincing, or less obviously fake, with the Drive off. The Polyphonic Mode is very cool! Definitely agree with the reviewer about adding Delay/Reverb, and possibly EXP Pedal control; maybe in a V2? Perversely, I could see diming out the Vibrato control, while crunching the Drive. If I didn't already have a legion of hardware Synths, I'd be very tempted.

Sorry, my Brother, it is- or, was an April Fool's joke, sans punchline; albeit I did post it here a day late, hence my intended hint, "OK, sorry, running a little behind and late in posting this- but still... "

In any case, I really like the musical piece played for it!

• Like 1

I'll admit to being fooled, in that case . . .

Still, it's not altogether out of the question, even if this particular video was a well-produced prank. The EHX Mel9 has polyphonic Choir voices, and Boss has been fronting their "Humanizer" Formant Filter effect for over 20 years. Digitech made a couple of variations on a Talk Box, as well.

With the current proliferation of compact Synth pedals, someone will eventually assemble a "Voice" pedal, much like what we're hearing in this video . . . maybe even better.

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

You're no fool, and it was not my intent to fool anyone by posting that...

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Still, it's not altogether out of the question, even if this particular video was a well-produced prank. The EHX Mel9 has polyphonic Choir voices, and Boss has been fronting their "Humanizer" Formant Filter effect for over 20 years. Digitech made a couple of variations on a Talk Box, as well.

With the current proliferation of compact Synth pedals, someone will eventually assemble a "Voice" pedal, much like what we're hearing in this video . . . maybe even better.

No doubt that you're correct, Sir!

20 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Damn it!  I sooooooooo woulda!

20 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

giphy.gif

Haahhaahhaahhaahh!

Honestly, the rippin', aggressive fuzz that Mr. Shull deploys in that musical interlude grabbed my interest!

On 4/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Sorry, my Brother, it is- or, was an April Fool's joke, sans punchline; albeit I did post it here a day late, hence my intended hint, "OK, sorry, running a little behind and late in posting this- but still... "

In any case, I really like the musical piece played for it!

I use some Tc Electronics vocal harmony pedals to do the same thing as that vid in gigs... in fact,  I ran my guitar in the TC vocal harmonizer set on the choral effect and then into an EHX Key9 for Rhodes piano+chorus to back up a female singer on a version of 10CC's "I'm Not In Love" for a gig that freaked people out. I need to get her to do.a live vid of it with me.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 8:03 AM, Winston Psmith said:

yeah, the Mel9 does do that...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p90jr said:

I ran my guitar in the TC vocal harmonizer set on the choral effect and then into an EHX Key9 for Rhodes piano+chorus to back up a female singer on a version of 10CC's "I'm Not In Love" for a gig that freaked people out. I need to get her to do a live vid of it with me.

Yes, you do! I'd love to see and hear that!

• Like 1

Something old, yet newly revisited and improved- and high quality at a very reasonable price-point, as well! Seems well voiced. If I needed a TS stylee, this would be on my short-list to choose from (there are several demo videos on the page):

JHS Pedals 3 Series SCREAMER
JHS-Pedals-3+Series-Screamer-Front.png?f
Here's a particularly good demo:

On 3/30/2022 at 10:35 AM, hurricane hugo said:

I LOVE Eventide!!! I don't have any of their hardware, plugins only. They have 50 years of experience using digital code to modify audio and they've pretty well gotten the bugs worked out. They also understand creating potential for music very well so their layouts are straightforward, versatile and useful. Most important, their effects sound GREAT. 

Micro Pitch is a beautiful goodie, so is Physion. 

I recently added Precision Time Align and Split EQ, both fantastic tools for recording. 

Alll that said, somebody needs to clean all the hillbilly dander off of their fretboard. Their strings will last longer without all that funky goo getting smeared on there. 

It seems to be sort of a "cult thing", having your own nasty detritus crusted on your guitar makes it YOURS somehow, probably because nobody else wants to touch that shit! 😇

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

31 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Alll that said, somebody needs to clean all the hillbilly dander off of their fretboard. Their strings will last longer without all that funky goo getting smeared on there. 

It seems to be sort of a "cult thing", having your own nasty detritus crusted on your guitar makes it YOURS somehow, probably because nobody else wants to touch that shit! 😇

Haahhaahhaahhaahhaahhaahhaahh! I noticed that, too. And, yeah, you're right. It can feel awful, too.