Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

48 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

Were I in the market for a fuzz/overdrive, I'd probably grab one of these.

Β 

Β 

Seems cool, sounds cool in the vid (though I swear I didn't hear much, if any, difference between the different modes?).

I wouldn't swap out my favorite germanium Treble Booster or my favorite clean boost pedals, though- it wouldn't be able to replace them...
Β  Β  Β Β 
Β 

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

Β 

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

31 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

do these kind of amp simulators count as effects?Β Β https://www.two-notes.com/en/revolt/

I'd say they do! And they're also in footswitch-equipped 'pedal' form! Cool by me. Should be cool by anyone. :cool:Β 

Β 

On 5/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, hurricane hugo said:

Eventide steps into the Eurorack game!

Β 

Β 

Eventide is top notch stuff, I have some of their plugins and they are fantastic. The GUI is straighforward, the options are well-thought out and executed and they will do more than one might think. Micro-Pitch is lovely run in stereo or one guitar track with, one without. Physion provides a variety of effects you can apply after splitting your signal between transients and tones, a game changer.Β 

I want an H9, maybe someday.Β 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Black Arts Toneworks is one of my favorite builders, with an emphasis on modified Big Muff circuits and a few originals (from what I understand). Β They’re attractively decorated, too, IMHO.

Β 

Well, late last year they dropped another fat fuzzy mofo: The Priestess. Β (The screenshot is captured from the video below it.). I personally have a Black Forest and a Sarcophagus v2. Β The Sarcophagus combines their Pharaoh and LSTR in one housing, and it brings the heavy. Β The Priestess looks like it could be a killer pedal for fellow fuzzphiles who want to Muff things up.

Β 

lLwq7yl.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

Bonus pedal: BAT’s Raw Heart dual OD from 2019.

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: Γ’Ninety percent of everything is crapΓ’

Β 

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

Β 

http://murphysmusictx.com/

9 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

I love that guitar in the last video's thumbnail

Mike Scheidt- the guitarist/vocalist for Yob- is the dude that asked BAT to make that pedal. Β The thumbnail is a concert picture of him playing his Monson Nomad. Β It’s customized by the builder himself.

Β 

https://equipboard.com/pros/mike-scheidt?gear=guitars

Β 

http://www.monsonguitars.com

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: Γ’Ninety percent of everything is crapΓ’

Β 

Β 

Cool.Β Neil Grimes, that is, NRG Effects, has a wild new fuzz pedal in NRG's more plainly appointed 'Monochrome' series- the Mauler.

(Many NRG Effects pedals feature striking whimsical styling, shapes, and sizes, with colorful graphics and LED deployment. The Monochrome series is more barebones, rectangular and compact. They still seem to bear some imaginative, perhaps puzzling control labels... ! :D)

Featuring internal feedback and oscillation circuitry with footswitch control, it stalks crazed noises (in a very cool and fun way) along the lines of what my Octavella Feedback Fuzz (from Lastgasp Art Laboratories) does. While it IS pricey- and shipped from the UK (my Octavella was from Australia), it should soon prove to be a lot easier to find and buy than my Octavella. Currently, anyway. The Mauler has more control over the feedback and oscillation, to the extent of fine-tuning it to a degree- and also somehow sounds less sinister and twisted than my Octavella. Not garden variety by any means, though!

Neil Grimes/NRG Effects:Β  "[The Mauler]Β has a pair of β€œmetal can” BC108C silicon transistors. The MAUL control sets the input impedance and tonal filtering… lower is softer with more clean-up, higher is more attacking with overdrive like clean-up, and right at the top it kicks in a low pass filter for smoother input response. MEAT sets the bass input filtering. FURR gives three different textures and tonal responses. JAWS is the bias, from gated and spitting, through squashy and saturated to bold and open. The FEED momentary footswitch kicks in the internal feedback oscillation, which interacts and fights with your input signal. All controls of the pedal and your guitar affect the feedback pitch and response."

Starting at about 37:42 or so:

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Β 

You take that Mauler and a nice echo/reverb type pedal and give it to Neil Young, and he will lay down an devastatingly incredible score to your post-apocalyptic Western. Β 
Β 

It reminds me a bit of the SmallsoundBigsound Fuck Overdrive, and I have to wonder what they would sound like on the same pedalboard…

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Β 

Β 

The Manual had better be REALLY CLEAR on how to use that thing, or you could waste days wondering "What happens if . . .?"

Β 

Having said that, if I saw one at my FLUMS, I'd probably get it . . .

• Like 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Β 

http://www.novparolo.com

Β 

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, Winston Psmith said:

The Manual had better be REALLY CLEAR on how to use that thing, or you could waste days wondering "What happens if . . .?"

Β 

Having said that, if I saw one at my FLUMS, I'd probably get it . . .

It should be no surprise that I immediately thought of YOU and your spending a lot of time with that and enjoying it, my good friend Winston...

I do know what you mean, though!

I wonder how it would react to 'multi-tap'/rhythmic echoes being fed into it... ? Volume swells?

Miku... ?! :crazy:Β :DΒ 
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

User Manual (PDF)

Product Brochure (PDF)

Excerpts from the Backline Engineering site:

Β 

FX-Tracker utilizes the note recognition technology developed for the successful RiffBoxΒ looping device while incorporating many of the effects popular with musicians today. This allows you to tailor your own unique sound beyond what can be created using standard effects devices.

With most of these effects, you can control timing or intensity of the effect by changing your playing speed or your pick attack.

Set theΒ left switch to control which effectΒ type is selected. Now you can use the lower two switch positions on each side toΒ set four parametersΒ that control the effect that was selected.

Effect timing and effect depth can react to your playing speed and pick attack

Delay time that can track your playing. Shorter delay with faster playing or longer delays with faster playing

Your playing speed can change the modulation speed of chorus, tremolo, flanger, filter or pitch shifter

Your playing speed or your pick attack can change the delay feedback level or the depth of the chorus, tremolo, flanger or filter effects

Transition between a delay effect and any other effect by changing your playing speed or pick attack

Full MIDI implementation. Control any parameter with an external MIDI controller or use MIDI messages to select from the 100 presets

17 effects that output MIDI CC messages as waveforms, envelopes or arpeggio patterns based on your playing speed or pick attack to control other effect units or synth modules

Use and external MIDI expression pedal to manually modulate chorus, flanger, and filter or create a whammy pedal

You can download firmware updates to protect your investment

Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Mysteries abound...
Β 

Β 

Gonna have to wait until I’m not in a public venue to watch that.

• Like 2

Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

ringing that dinner bell for some of you

[WA Lore promo vid]

Haahh! Yeah, I got that in my email, too- and figured someone'd post it here.

Sounds good in the video. I'd certainly try one given the opportunity, and I would probably find some things that I really liked.

I enjoy getting similar enough sounds using volume-swells by various means. This WA Lore pedalΒ doesΒ do a lot of things at once to achieve its "reverse soundscape" effects, but like a lot of novel sounding pedals released these past few years, soon everybody's using the same pedals and effects and all sound a lot alike. Like "shimmer reverb", etc...

I do wish WA made more of their pedals with stereo effects and outputs- and even inputs, or at least 'through-puts'...

• Like 3

Β 

This seems like an expansion on their SLO Reverb, in some ways.

Β 

I'm with Caevan, in that I'm not as enamored of the Shimmer and Octave Reverb effects, personally. I'd love to see more flexibility in terms of Pitch Shift Intervals.

Β 

Another video that sends me back to my MFX, with the idea that I can probably emulate these effects, and maybe do even more with them.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Β 

http://www.novparolo.com

Β 

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

3 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

I'm with Caevan, in that I'm not as enamored of the Shimmer and Octave Reverb effects, personally. I'd love to see more flexibility in terms of Pitch Shift Intervals.

As with digital pitch-shifting in general, I much prefer the tone, the character, of downward-pitch-shifts, or octave-down, to that of digital upward or octave-up. The latter-digital up-pitch/octave-up- always sounds to my ear to be tinny, flinty, chirpy, and not 'in a good way'.

Now, these octave-downΒ reverb effects seem more or less alright to me.

Octave-up, "shimmer" reverb? I actually kind of liked it a lot- the first time I heard it,Β which was almost certainly at the hands and feet of U2's 'the Edge'. I believe he had a custom-made "Shimmer Reverb" pedal or device years ago, that may have been the first, or at least among the earliest, of its kind.

Now that I've heard it S0O0O0O0O MAAANNNYY TIIIIIIIMESS..... .... ... ?!Β  No Sir, I do not like it. I don't like it at all. EVERYBODYΒ and their neighbor's pet-grooming consultant's P&W band guitarist slathers that all over everything. One of the reasons that so very many, many people like it so much is so I don't have to.

I do tend to like modulated reverbs...

Hmm, now that you mention it, Winston, reverb effects featuring other intervals shifting/morphing/simmering, blurring, bending and blending, even clangorously dissonant ones or groups and clusters, particularly if wildly modulated and filtered for rich, dense, ear-tweaking clouds... that could be interesting.
Β  Β  Β 
Β 

Β 

On 6/3/2022 at 12:29 PM, hurricane hugo said:

ringing that dinner bell for some of you

Β 

Β 

I have to say, this is one of the first pedals in a very long time on this thread, which really got my attention. Sure, I see the potential for overuse or sounding like others. But I think the real pedal/FX aficionado always knows how to judiciously make somebody else's cliche into something uniquely personal. A friend of mine who has recorded Fred Frith many times mentioned some recent gigs where Fred was sporting an EH Mel9 pedal, one of my personal faves. I asked my friend how Fred utilized it & he said he heard the Mel9 maybe for 30 or 40 seconds during an entire set. Non-overuse is a real skill.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

There’s not that many β€œamp-in-a-box” pedals that get my attention. Β This one just dropped:

Β 

Β 

Β 

I REALLY LIKE THAT. A LOT.

Something tells me that Scott Fraser might like it, too.

Haahh! Not far into the video, I was thinking, "It sounds kinda like a cross between a Vox and a Hiwatt"- and then Andy says it "eases into Vox chime and Hiwatt headroom"... ! :laugh:Β :DΒ :cool:Β 
Β Β 
Dannyalcatraz-Β I could get some similar sounds from my beloved Keeley 'Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod'.Β Some.Β Maybe not quite identical, but really close at the least. But this ThorpyFX Scarlet Tunic pedal will do things that the RSGPM wouldn't quite, and maybe vice-versa. I bet they'd go well together, RSGPM stacked into Scarlet Tunic... In any case, I really like it! I kinda want one! And I bet it'd be great for stacking with other pedals, fore and aft!
Β 
Β 

• Like 2

Β 

2 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I REALLY LIKE THAT. A LOT.

Something tells me that Scott Fraser might like it, too.

Correctamente. It's distortion that doesn't feel some odd need to utterly obliterate chord voicings, like so many others. And the tone controls REALLY have a massive effect. A serious tone shaper, and as always for me, the most interesting part is just the first few percent of harmonic distortion. Of course the problem here is that Andy could play a real POS bit of crap gear & make it sound like a million bucks.Β 

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

4 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Correctamente. It's distortion that doesn't feel some odd need to utterly obliterate chord voicings, like so many others. And the tone controls REALLY have a massive effect. A serious tone shaper, and as always for me, the most interesting part is just the first few percent of harmonic distortion. Of course the problem here is that Andy could play a real POS bit of crap gear & make it sound like a million bucks.Β 

I’m pretty sure Andy would NEVER use his powers for evil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Β 

Β 

7 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I could get some similar sounds from my beloved Keeley 'Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod'.Β Some.Β Maybe not quite identical, but really close at the least. But this ThorpyFX Scarlet Tunic pedal will do things that the RSGPM wouldn't quite, and maybe vice-versa. I bet they'd go well together, RSGPM stacked into Scarlet Tunic... In any case, I really like it! I kinda want one! And I bet it'd be great for stacking with other pedals, fore and aft!
Β 

Keeley is one of those companies with a solid product line, across the board. Β And if you’re paying attention, they usually have a bit more control or some trick up their sleeve that you don’t really see in similar pedals. Β And while their stuff may be pricier than the bigger brands’ stuff- Boss, EHX, etc.- they’re still usually cheaper than the β€œboutique” builders like Chase Bliss or Strymon. Β  I have quite a few Keeley stompboxes, but not that one. Β 
Β 

For the curious, ThorpyFX is in that same category of pedal builders for me. Β The ones I have bought have seemed to have very nice controls. Β They’re pricier than Keeley, but part of that is they’re made in the UK. Β They’re also built to be used by abusive guitarists, VERY sturdy.

• Like 2

Β 

Β 

5 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Of course the problem here is that Andy could play a real POS bit of crap gear & make it sound like a million bucks.

Β 

50 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’m pretty sure Andy would NEVER use his powers for evil.

Truth, truth, gentlemen! However, I am confident that you two, myself, and others that frequent this virtual pub not far from The Four Winds have equally heightened abilities of discernment in such media and matters...
Β 

Β 

40 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I have quite a few Keeley stompboxes, but not that one.

I highly recommend it! I might have to- I am very likely to- also obtain a Keeley 'Super Phat Mod', the first of the three variations of Keeley-branded Super Phat Mod stomps that are initially based on Robert Keeley's combination of modifications that he used to make to customer's Boss BD-2 Blues Driver pedals.

I recommend that third of those, the Retro Super Germanium Phat Mod like I have- the gainy, fat yet crisp 'n fuzzy one- firstly among them to YOU,Β Dannyalcatraz. To most anyone else, I'd suggest they start with the first, the smoother, subtler, more 'normaler' of the three. But you, you should jump right in with the wilder one, I think...

Note that instead of 'Drive', the RSGPM's gain/drive-control is labeled, 'Nitro'- and for good reason! This pedal has more gain than the other two of its line, and multiple gain-stages inside... All three controls have wider range than many a pedal, too.

In the following video, theΒ RSGPM sounds a little milder-mannered than mine chooses to be. Either mine reallyΒ isΒ a higher gain version of the RSGPM (as seemingly suggested by the seller I bought mine from, who called it a "Retro Super High Gain Germanium Phat Mod"), or it's just down to my Les Paul's particularly hot pickups and, possibly, more aggressive playing attack- while the maker of the following comparison video used a Fender Jazzmaster with single-coil pickups... That, and a looper politely repeating the same naked phrases into the Phat Mods...

I very heartily recommend stacking the RSGPM (or any of the Super Phat Mod line) into an overdriven Marshall-voiced amp, pedal, or modeler/IR (such as the Strymon Iridium's "Punch"). Also, when doing so, vary your guitar's volume-knob(s) and your "touch" to find nuance and colour. Running it into a clean amp, etc. is fine, well and good- but stacking it into the aforementioned Marshall governance is KILLER.Β 

Please note that having the Phat Mod Mode engaged on any of these pedals is, well, where it's at... you can almost just ignore the passages herein where it is not.Β Β 

Β 

• Like 3

Β 

1 hour ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I highly recommend it! I might have to- I am very likely to- also obtain a Keeley 'Super Phat Mod', the first of the three variations of Keeley-branded Super Phat Mod stomps that are initially based on Robert Keeley's combination of modifications that he used to make to customer's Boss BD-2 Blues Driver pedals.

OK, you have my attention!

Β 

i have the Keeley Katana Blues Driver, which is their production take on the BD-2 mods. Β That is a niiiice pedal. Β It fascinates me that RK was able to improve on something BossΒ clearlyΒ nailed. Β (It is pricier, of course, but not ridiculously so, IMHO.)

• Like 2

Β 

Β 

22 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

OK, you have my attention!

Β 

i have the Keeley Katana Blues Driver, which is their production take on the BD-2 mods. Β That is a niiiice pedal. Β It fascinates me that RK was able to improve on something BossΒ clearlyΒ nailed. Β (It is pricier, of course, but not ridiculously so, IMHO.)

Oh, having the Phat Mod Mode is where it's fattly big phatt att.
Β 
Β 

• Like 1

Β 

19 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

Β Oh yes. Oh yes. Oh yes.
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

Haahh! Firstly- I saw that, too; secondly, I immediately thought of you, Scott; and thirdly, I came here to post that same video...

Haahh!Β Β :laugh:Β  :DΒ  :cool:Β 
Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Β