Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeing Toto and Michael McDonald tonight....

Dave Bryce

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody know what the device is above Steve's XF7?

In-ear monitor mixer/controller. I'm pretty sure it's an Avid Personal Q controller, based on the shape and size.

Yeah, what Sven said.

That's it! I had a look at the front of it on the Live in Poland DVD but still couldn't figure out what it was.

Thanks!

Jamie

Great night . Toto blew the other band off the stage . I almost left during the second act . It got better though so I stayed. And I could swear Joseph got called Joseph Wilson by MM twice!!! Yikes . Great keyboard playing, whole band was on it. Still can't believe they opened definitely should have been other way around . One more Deep Purple show in Saratoga next wed and that's pretty much enough concerts for this summer. I'm ready to go practice .

Super cool. I am just about to buy some tickets for their upcoming show in Philly in a few weeks. It's a couple hours from me, but on my way to the gig I have to travel to the next day in West Virginia of all places, which I think promises to be the biggest-crowd show I've ever done and is certainly the biggest paycheck I'll have ever gotten for a gig so far. (Even after travel expenses, it'll still be up there.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

DEVASTATING show by Toto. Not a note or lick out of place. Song selection was outstanding. DAMN, those guys are good. :rawk:

Michael McDonald, OTOH, was either under the weather, or is losing it. His voice was not where it needed to be at all - kept cracking. He knew it and kept pulling away from the mic, which was clearly giving the sound man conniptions. :facepalm:

I would say easily 1/3 of the audience was already gone by the end of the show. At that point (by the encores), he had the bass player, backup singer and Joe Williams and the Toto backup singers doing pretty much all the vox.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I think the show I'm seeing in Philly (just got the tix in between posts!) is just Toto not MacDonald which is fine with me, I can take him or leave him to be honest. (Saw him with Dukes of September a couple years back.) Hoping that means a longer Toto set!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I don't care what anyone says, Toto just ain't Toto without Bobby.

You´re completely right!

Enjoy!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHnjW2LWVs

Yikes. Them pipes are getting a little rusty.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

DEVASTATING show by Toto. Not a note or lick out of place. Song selection was outstanding. DAMN, those guys are good. :rawk:

Michael McDonald, OTOH, was either under the weather, or is losing it. His voice was not where it needed to be at all - kept cracking. He knew it and kept pulling away from the mic, which was clearly giving the sound man conniptions. :facepalm:

I would say easily 1/3 of the audience was already gone by the end of the show. At that point (by the encores), he had the bass player, backup singer and Joe Williams and the Toto backup singers doing pretty much all the vox.

dB

Thanks for the gig report, Dave. This depresses me, because I would have been there to see McDonald. Guess I dodged that bullet.

I know he's rolling back through in the fall. Hope he's in better shape then.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I'm sorry to hear Mike's voice wasn't happening last night. We went to the same HS back in STL and I've known him a long time.

You can bet he'd be the first to acknowledge that it wasn't working. I'm sure he feels terrible. I don't know what's going on with it- he has ALWAYS been a model of consistency and held up himself up to the highest standard, vocally speaking. This is going back to the Castaway days in Ferguson, Mo. in the middle to late '60s, when he was playing playing with the Jerry Jay & the Sheratons, Del Rays, and the Blue.

Part of the problem is he set the bar so damn high by putting everything in those stratospheric keys. He would commonly sing Bbs & Cs and even higher on What a fool believes back in the day. In recent years I've noticed he's been giving the highest part on WAFB to the female singers.

Most people don't realize that Mike is really a Baritone. He always had the high mix voice where he was able to sing way up there. Maybe that *mix* is starting to fail him. I'm 61 and he's a year older then me.

I don't know if he still vocalizes everyday or what. I do know he was working with my teacher-Robert Edwards- for a short time . But this was long ago. Whatever it is, I hope it was just a bad night....or even a cold or sinus problem. Not the best time obviously- being LA and the Greek and all the discerning Toto fans.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Can't wait for Mike and TOTO on Sunday. I hope MM's voice recovers. That VIP package looks like it was sick! Meeting those dudes would be killer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

By the way, if you were there you will remember:

The last song of the night, what happened to the "No More Need for Running!!!" lyric on the Taking it to Streets chorus? Several singers on the stage and not one sang that part!

By the way, if you were there you will remember:

The last song of the night, what happened to the "No More Need for Running!!!" lyric on the Taking it to Streets chorus? Several singers on the stage and not one sang that part!

Another interesting vocal tidbit...

At the Tulalip Casisno show, during the full group encore, the guys did a mini-Stevie Wonder/Marvin Gaye(?) set. I can't quite recall what tune it was, but the backup singers were trading verses and Mabvuto Carpenter (Toto's backing singer) didn't know the words. So, he whipped out his iPhone, looked up the lyrics and "telepromptered" his part.

Kind of funny.

Paich: Kurzweil PC3K8 underneath a Motif XF7 inside an upright piano shell

There were several close-ups of Paich's rig. It actually didn't look like a PC3K to me in the bottom position - the display looked more like a Yamaha CP (1, maybe), I think.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Finally coming to Chicago....well, HIghland Park at a pretty un-music venue (Ravinia - it's more of a picnic in the park where you can't see the band at all, and are hearing satellite speakers throughout the park).

And on Labor Day weekend. Cuz Chicago is a 4 tier market. (eye roll)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Paich: Kurzweil PC3K8 underneath a Motif XF7 inside an upright piano shell

There were several close-ups of Paich's rig. It actually didn't look like a PC3K to me in the bottom position - the display looked more like a Yamaha CP (1, maybe), I think.

dB

He may have changed it, but on the Live in Poland DVD it's definitely a Kurz. Can't see from any of the more recent fan YouTube vids to discern what it is on this side of the pond.

Yammie wouldn't surprise me, given Steve's association with the company. :)

Edit to add: Looks like David has moved the Avid controller to his left on a mic stand mount, so that would seem to indicate a change in the bottom board (he mounted it on shims over the faders on the Kurzweil previously)... given the knob height and position on the CP series, as well as the placement of mod/pitch bend on them, you're probably right dB. :thu:

Archived