Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One Headlight by the Wallflowers

Rockitman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's wood. Probably an antique. ;)

Hammond B3 and what looks like a Leslie 122 speaker.

Registration on the verses sounds like 008000000 and registration on the chorus sounds like 888000000. But, I may be getting ahead of myself.

Nord Lead.

:facepalm:

Rockitman, since we seem to be doing your song list for you, one thread at a time, why don't you just cut to the chase and send us your entire song list? Dump it all into a single post and we'll give you all your patches in one fell swoop as they say.

:rawk:

Nord Lead.

Rockitman, since we seem to be doing your song list for you, one thread at a time, why don't you just cut to the chase and send us your entire song list? Dump it all into a single post and we'll give you all your patches in one fell swoop as they say.

Thanks!! I will!

Great song and band - Jacob definitively inherited some of his dad's talent. :thu:

+1

Bringing Down the Horse is one of my favorites. The Hammond work is very inspiring to me.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Pull the 8' all the way. Leave the rest shoved in. Put leslie on fast.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This live performance is a much more spirited version.
agreed

You can hear the Hammond more than on the studio album - may help you nail the sound better. :)

hmm, sounded the same to me as far as the Hammond goes. Adding the guy playing the Telecaster in the live version was a good idea, though. :thu:

:nopity:

Nord Lead.

Will you do that for me too? It would save me some time!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Nord Lead.

Apparently my sarcasm wasn't clear enough... ;):snax:

Before the thread goes somewhere else...

I have found Rami's organ playing difficult to copy. Maybe it's that I am playing and SK1 and he is playing the real thing. His sound, to my ears, is unique but appropriate for a band setting. I like what he did on the Greg Alman tribute DVD. Tasteful playing.

David

Nord Lead.

I'm guessing his wasn't either.......

Before the thread goes somewhere else...

I have found Rami's organ playing difficult to copy.

In my experience it can be difficult to carry 008x00000 above a band on a clone if they are playing loud and the organ isn't given a favorable place in the mix. Notice how broken down the verses on 'One Headlight' are. He does seem to go to something like 88800000 on the chorus to keep up with the band. 008x00000 doesn't work in heavy rock situations.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Clear enough to me. And very welcomed as well! It's quite nice to see you getting back into form, Sven. I was worried that "Sven v2.0" would leave all snarkiness behind, and it just wasn't the same.

Back on topic: I always liked One Headlight, but my old band tried it and it just came off flat. I prefer this song off that album. Great keyboard work on this one, too.

[video:youtube]

Noah

Back on topic: I always liked One Headlight, but my old band tried it and it just came off flat. I prefer this song off that album. Great keyboard work on this one, too.

Noah

6th Avenue Heartache has become one of my favorites. If you haven't yet, you MUST see the 'Live On Letterman' performance; Rami Jaffee's playing is showcased quite prominently on video and even more so in the mix, and there is a really nice breakdown where he plays accordion.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

6th Avenue Heartache has become one of my favorites. If you haven't yet, you MUST see the 'Live On Letterman' performance; Rami Jaffee's playing is showcased quite prominently on video and even more so in the mix, and there is a really nice breakdown where he plays accordion.

Nice! :thu: Thanks for sharing.

I'd like an overhead shot or to somehow watch him work the drawbars. Know it's simple, but I still don't think I get it... at least not completely. It sounds like he pulls out the first two drawbars for the choruses.

BTW, I really enjoyed watching the One Headlight video.

David

Noah: " I always liked One Headlight, but my old band tried it and it just came off flat."

That was our experience. Crowd never got into it.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

• 2 years later...
Noah: " I always liked One Headlight, but my old band tried it and it just came off flat."

I saw the Wallflowers at a free outdoor concert a few years ago. Organ sounded great, but it was one of the most boring concerts I've ever attended. Bland, bland, bland.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

My guess - your band did not capture the rhythm accurately.

I disagree I bet they could have done a great rendition and this still would have happened. 90s tunes are often dance floor killers. Think about this one - can you 'dance' to One Headlight? Maybe slow dance.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My guess - your band did not capture the rhythm accurately.

I disagree I bet they could have done a great rendition and this still would have happened. 90s tunes are often dance floor killers. Think about this one - can you 'dance' to One Headlight? Maybe slow dance.

Lesson learned.. thank you for that. :thu:

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Baldwin Sam Bobby

I guess I know that some music is danceable and others less so... I even heard that Michael Jackson's music is not danceable!

But the notion that a whole decade of music is not danceable, well I could use more detail on that generalization ( And btw, I believe in generalizations utility .. no sarcasm here )

about 90's music.

How about Duran Duran.. aka 80's?

I guess I should quit this thread for this topic... the danceable nature of music over the past 50 years.

But thank you much.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Another cool tune from that era is "The Way" by Fastball. That one is pretty fun.

I also like 6th Ave Heartache also by the Wallflowers.

Anyway, thought I read he was playing the bottom register with only one drawbar out...something like 8 with all 0s after...can't recall.

--

Yeah hate that when you get a really cool tune and it just falls flat.

I fear Lido Shuffle might do that...I've waited for years to play this in a band, we just learned it (I get to sing it too!) I'll hate it if it just dies....

The classic flutey thing 008000000.

But I guess you could maybe change where on the manual you play it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived